50 rounds a month

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Birddog 1
Levergunner

50 rounds a month

Post by Birddog 1 »

About how many rounds at one session do you use in a weekend 22,center fire 100...150 more how many?

Birddog 1
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 50 rounds a month

Post by jnyork »

It depends. On a monthly basis I will use about 1000 rounds of .22 and maybe 200 rounds of centerfire. All fired offhand in rifles.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

WE WON'T BOTHER TO GO SHOOTING UNLESS THERE IS TIME TO SHOOT UP 800 TO 1000 ROUNDS PER WEEKLY TO BI-WEEKLY SESSIONS UP IN THE HILLS. WE WILL USUALLY SHOOT AT LEAST A HALF DOZEN TO A DOZEN OR MORE CALIBERS IN AS MANY DIFFERENT FIREARMS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I stopped just shooting for the heck of it. Too hard to find components and getting overly expensive to just blast away. These days, I'm lucky if I shoot 20-30 rds per month.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My goal is to shoot once a week with one or more of the kids, and usually it won't be that many rounds. Maybe 10-20 each of centerfire or 100-200 of rimfire. About once a month we'll shoot ten times that much, or more.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I never have been a high volume shooter. My thing is working up accuracy loads with the various calibers and mostly cast bullets. There is and endless array of variables to try and sort through. No need to shoot lots of rounds to find out if a combination is good or not.

If I think I cant go any farther with one gun/caliber combination, it`s time to get another rifle!! :D

50-60 rounds a session is normal for me. and that usually consists of several different loadings. I will bring along some of my best loads for that gun to use as a base line to keep my shooting honest. "was it me or the load" ???

:D
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I'm probably closer to 150 rounds per month. Right now I shoot 20 rounds per week at the indoor range and 40 more per month at the silhouette range. Plus some more for testing loads.

After about 50 rounds my eyes get tired and I can't see the target too well. So I've stopped shooting second and third rounds of silhouette on a given day.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

chuck 100 yd - you remind me of my best friend. He's purty particular about getting his rifles to shoot itty-bitty bullets into teeny tiny groups, and all the rigamarole he goes through to get there is really his cup of tea! After he gets there, has all his shots and the various loads, powders, primers and .0000000th's off the lands, etc. he tried recorded, targets filed away, everything as it just should be, he's satisfied. Then when he gets another rifle, maybe same caliber, maybe not, he'll start the bloody process all over again. Sheesh, and the stuff and time he goes through to "break-in" a barrel is really painful for me to behold, ...BORING! I swear he's going to wear out the barrel with all that cleaning between shots, etc.

Bet my buddy won't shoot more than 3-4 hundred rounds a year, and though he's not much fun to go plinkin' with as "just shooting for no real purpose" bores him to tears, he is one a heluva long-range, coyote killin' machine. You betcha!!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

This and the next two months will go through about 800rds@month of .223 centerfire handloads! Nothing much else!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

60 shots with pellet rilfe (.20) each day.
100 arrows out of the longbow each day.

Once a month range time with centerfire rilfes, pistols, and rimfire stuff. 10-20 rounds centerfire out of all firearms, 50 or so rounds of .22 each session.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I keep a very detailed reloading log. I average between 7K-9K a year, 99.9% with cast bullets using leverguns and single action sixguns in "dash numbered" calibers with a few old double action "Smiths and Colts thrown in. So I guess thats about 600 a month with the majority of it on steel silhouette shooting along with practicing/experimenting/testing old guns/etc.

.22? Don't count 'em--probably several thou.-----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I don't get to go often so when I do I go through a couple hundred .22s, and 50-100 cf rounds of various flavors depending on how well the firearms are cooperating that day. If I bring something I really enjoy shooting it'll see a box of ammo (20-30rds for rifles, 50-100rds for handguns).
Mike D. wrote:I stopped just shooting for the heck of it. Too hard to find components and getting overly expensive to just blast away.
Last month I was invited to a private shoot on private property and I brought my FAL to see if the bugs had been worked out. As I was loading the mag, my good friend asked me if I knew how to load it. "Of course I do!" He said "No you don't!" and as he started thumbing rounds into the mag he was saying "fifty cents, one dollar, one fifty, two dollars...". I got a kick out of it until I remembered it was a 20rd mag and I had three of them to fill for testing purposes. :lol: :shock: :lol: :?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Usually I will shoot no more than 20 rounds of 30-30 at a time. After that my eyes start to fatigue and I don't want to waste ammo. I am about out of my 170 gr ProHunters and can't find any more. Offhand at 50, kneeling at 100, sitting at 200.
I will then shoot maybe 60-80 rounds of 223 out of my AR since I am not looking for as much accuracy out of it even though it will do it. Some fast pairs at 25 and 50 yards from the ready position and then some kneeling at 100 and 200.
After that I like to shoot maybe 50-100 rounds for fun out of some kind of 22 pistol. The kids usually do the same. Then maybe 50 rounds of Mozambique drills at 7 yards with my 9mm before heading on home.
Sometimes I like to throw my tomahawk a little. The kids are still working on that and they need more work on their Rebel yells.
I like to keep my edge since shooting is a deteriorating skill. I go about three times a month. I don't shoot like I used to though. I used to shoot a lot.
Last edited by Dave on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, Ironically I shot a lot more when I lived in town during my twentys, and early thirtys, then I do normally now that I live in back on the farm, where I can shoot anytime I want to.

Now days, I basically just shoot a few rounds at a time, whenever I get the urge, a new gun, something needs killing. Today I decided to throw away an old computer, and since I have always heard that one needs to destroy the thing, or someone might be able to get some sensitive information off of it, I blew it away with a shotgun. It took several shots of number 6's, but it is definately destroyed now. :lol:
NRA Life Member, Patron
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

GoatGuy. Yup, sounds like me too. :D Well, shootin is shootin, no mater how or why, we love it!!

That`s why there are different flavors of ice cream. :D
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I haven't shot much centerfire in the last two months - maybe a 100-rounds but I've been shooting at least 1000 rounds of .22LR a week since mid-April shooting Belding Ground Squirrels. The season for them is winding down so I probably will stop shooting them by the end of this month. That comes out to around 3-cases and will leave me with about 8 more cases. If the ammo supply doesn't ease up, I'll cut my squirrel shooting in half or maybe even a quarter next year.
ED
Yer never too old
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

If I am going on a hunt I personally practice with the rifle(s) I will use twice per week. I will only shoot from field positions and at a lifesized animal photo target or the 1/3 size adjusted by range to actual appearrance size. I shoot 3 shots from each position. If they are spot on I move to the next position. If everything works out, it will be sitting, kneeling, standing, prone for a total of 12 shots. If I can't get it right at one position, I will shoot it over again. I start at 100 yards for 3 weeks and go to 150 or 200 yards for the next 3 weeks. The last two weeks prior to the trip I will shoot one or two shots from ranges as close as 25 yards all the way back to the maximum range I might encounter. I am doing it now in preparation for late Sept blacktail deer trip. The # of rounds will vary but it usually ends up around 200 rounds in two months preparing for a trip using one rifle. This does not include the plinking and other shooting I might be doing with other rifles throughout the year. Before last year's Africa trip I fired over 1000 rounds in 2 months getting ready. It paid off when everything I shot there hit the ground dead with one shot.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Probably 400 - 500 rds of .22 rimfire (mostly WMR) and upwards of that in .45 Colt/.45-70/.223 (combined) per month. Not as much as I'd like, but as much as I can afford...

I don't fling a lot of lead at paper any more. Am & always have been a hunter...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

300 - 500 rounds out of the .22 as it is good cheap practice for form and technique. Maybe 100 rounds centrefire (50 rounds a fortnight) mainly working up loads and experimenting. Shooting for accuracy, chasing max. velocity and power are secondary. Full power loads now and again...just to rev the engine, so to speak.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin