OT - MP3 players and music

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - MP3 players and music

Post by cnjarvis »

I picked up a Philips MP3 player for the wife's birthday and since I'm new at this, I need a little help. Specifically - Where can I download music (services) and what is the compatibility? I-Tunes compatible with platforms other than Apple? etc.

Thanks guys.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - MP3 players and music

Post by madman4570 »

Technically iTunes only works with iPod, but i think with a free program called iTunes Agent you can use iTunes with any mp3 player,Now there are some people that do use limewire, "but dont" because its illegal to do so! I think iTunes is your best bet!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Or if you have CD's that you already like you can load them on your computer and transfer that to your MP3.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Check out Rhapsody. I use it. Costs me about $12.00/month and I can listen to all the different channels I want at work or home on my PC. If there's something I hear I like, I can buy the mp3 for $.99 cents.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

"Free" music is hardr to come by on the net tnese days, what with RIAA lawsuits and all.

I agree that, by in large you should be ripping your own stuff.

There is also the Library to consider.

One HUGE factor in the equasion is HOW you plan on using the player.

If you are using it for Jogging or in the Car or some other semi-noisy enviornment, then you can really make hay by ripping your CDs way down into the sub-128 bit range. I go as low as 96 and use Variable Bit recording. You can get a LOT of music on a small player this way.

Sure, the fidelity isn't there, but it IS "FM Radio" quality - which is more than enough for low-fidelity/high noise situations anyway. I have 273 songs on 700mb.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Thanks for the replies.

I managed to corner my company's IT guru and get an answer from him: Amazon.com. Individual songs run 0.59 to 0.99 and are compatible with all mp3 players. Can download audio books there too.

We do have some CD's and I was planning on ripping them but wanted to have the option of purchasing the individual songs as needed.

I wanted to avoid I-tunes - the proprietary nature of the hard and software really pizza's me off.
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

If she likes some of the older works look at http://www.archive.org/details/audio_music . If she likes audio books in MP3 format try http://librivox.org/newcatalog/search.p ... ion=Search.

Good luck.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.
DavidF
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidF »

I was going to say Amazon. All DRM free.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:Technically iTunes only works with iPod, but i think with a free program called iTunes Agent you can use iTunes with any mp3 player,Now there are some people that do use limewire, "but dont" because its illegal to do so! I think iTunes is your best bet!
The thing I HATE about "iTunes" is that I had over 5,000 songs in full-data format (off my own extensive CD collection) on a 500 GB hard drive, and without my permission "iTunes" automatically "sorted" it - and it all went to "unknown author" and "unknown title" - those CD's had taken me all summer to load onto the drive.

I HATE anything "automatic" when it comes to software...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

WinAmp is free for download and will play many iTunes file formatted songs. :mrgreen:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm new to this whole thing as well. I have downloaded a few songs and an album or two from Amazon.com. Another source to consider...
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

AJMD429 wrote:
madman4570 wrote:Technically iTunes only works with iPod, but i think with a free program called iTunes Agent you can use iTunes with any mp3 player,Now there are some people that do use limewire, "but dont" because its illegal to do so! I think iTunes is your best bet!
The thing I HATE about "iTunes" is that I had over 5,000 songs in full-data format (off my own extensive CD collection) on a 500 GB hard drive, and without my permission "iTunes" automatically "sorted" it - and it all went to "unknown author" and "unknown title" - those CD's had taken me all summer to load onto the drive.

I HATE anything "automatic" when it comes to software...
I have had the same problems. My solution was NO apple software on my computer and NO apple products in my house. It has worked fine so far.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.