Levergun Pledge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Levergun Pledge

Post by cnjarvis »

I'm going to hunt withmy Win. M94 in 30-30 this rifle season until I take something with it.

I've had the rifle since my father gave it to me in high school but although I've hunted withit, I've never taken a deer with it. Seems like it's time for that to change.

Who else is doing something similar?
Last edited by cnjarvis on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Levergun Pledge

Post by jnyork »

I have a Winchester 1886, .33WCF, that has been in the family since the early 1930's, it is a REAL cowboy gun that was owned by a REAL cowboy. I took a cow elk with it about 10 years ago, I now shoot it in Metallic Silhouette maybe 6-8 times a year.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cnjarvis wrote:I'm going to hunt my Win. M94 in 30-30 this rifle season until I take something with it.

I've had the rifle since my father gave it to me in high school but although I've hunted it, I've never taken a deer with it. Seems like it's time for that to change.

cnjarvis, please forgive me but I just gotta fix your post. As it is it barely makes sense:

I'm going to hunt with my Win. M94 in 30-30 this rifle season until I take something with it.

I've had the rifle since my father gave it to me in high school but although I've hunted with it, I've never taken a deer with it. Seems like it's time for that to change.

OK, no right now I'm just hunting for a route out of The Peoples Republic of IL. And picking on other forum members too :twisted:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Now the professor is even grading papers. :D That's funny.
Old Law Dawg
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

J Miller wrote:
cnjarvis wrote:I'm going to hunt my Win. M94 in 30-30 this rifle season until I take something with it.

I've had the rifle since my father gave it to me in high school but although I've hunted it, I've never taken a deer with it. Seems like it's time for that to change.

cnjarvis, please forgive me but I just gotta fix your post. As it is it barely makes sense:

I'm going to hunt with my Win. M94 in 30-30 this rifle season until I take something with it.

I've had the rifle since my father gave it to me in high school but although I've hunted with it, I've never taken a deer with it. Seems like it's time for that to change.

OK, no right now I'm just hunting for a route out of The Peoples Republic of IL. And picking on other forum members too :twisted:

Joe
Thanks Dr. Doofenschmirtz, I'll get right on that. :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Now the professor is even grading papers. :D That's funny.
I was afraid something like this might happen!

cnjarvis,
I did the same with my custom Winchester 94 a few years back. I had 5 tags and took 3 deer over the 2 days I hunted.

I had only competed with the rifle in SASS long range side matchs and one State championship Long Range rifle match. Having won several of these, I knew the accuracy of the rifle was not in question... just felt it was time to blood it.

Best of Luck with your pledge!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've been making that same "pledge" on 4 different levers in 45Colt, 44Mag, and 357Mag. Either I've taken them and didn't see anything legal or I've been too far out of range for a clean shot.

I've even gone as far as taking the 30-30 and one of the above levers in the tree stand on several different occasions. And every time the 30-30 was used because of distance.

The only time I've come thru on the "pledge" was with my 7.5" Ruger Redhawk 44mag. Got a six pointer at ~95yds.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've been doing something similar. Trying to use each levergun to harvest a big game animal. It was hard for a while cuz I kept buying more leverguns than animals I wanted to kill. Since my buying has slowed I'm down to just two leverguns that need to kill something. A Marlin 44 mag. and a Marlin 30TK. Since the freezer is empty, at least one of them will get the job done this fall on a whitetail, maybe two.
NRA Life Member
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Gentlemen,
As much as I love my leverguns,"92-.45C, "86-.45-70, "85-.45-70. I have not taken a deer with one yet. I have killed many deer since '58, but, always with a bow, shotgun, 257AI,25-06, or 30-06. I think I may take the pledge. It's the '92-.45C this yr. Or maybe my Austen & Halleck
.50 flintlock. I've got 500# of wild pig, beef, and venison in my freezer now. You can bet my hunting will be when the wind don't blow.
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

Gotta love a man on a mission.
Last year during our 2 week deer hunt I rotated between A 45-70 1895 Marlin, My browning Mod 71 .348 a Savage 99 in 250-3000 and a pair of 94"s one in 7x30 Waters the other a 30-30 Win. I did have my 32 Win special there too but that one is too nice to hunt with. Alas no deer showed up??
I too am on a mission this year. I want to shoot one with a cast bullet.
I'm working the 45-70, 30-30 and a browning 92 in 44mag up this summer as time permits.
So many options so little time.
Best Regards win 92
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Most of Iowa is shotgun only for deer so I'm not gonna be using my '94 on any deer soon. But I have decided that it is going to see mucho coyote hunting this year. I never bloodied my first '94 and I'm not gonna let this one go without a few critters under its belt. Won't use it on all yote hunting by any means (still like that 22-250), but if I'm walking it's gonna be the one in the hands. Might use it on a coon or 2 also. Already bloodied my current 94 on a starling at 18 paces :) lol

Might do a "doe only" season in January with the 94 too.

LK
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

kimwcook wrote:Now the professor is even grading papers. :D That's funny.
Maybe the laxitives haven't worked yet. :twisted:
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I can only promise that I will be hunting with a lever gun during the general rifle in the general rifle season here in Penn's Woods. I will also be carrying my .475 Linebaugh FA 93. It will be either the 92 in .357 or the original 86 in 45-70. I will also be hunting the archery season, the muzzle loader season with my flintlock, and the late archery and muzzle loader season.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
DavidF
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidF »

First deer hunting trip, first rifle, 94 30-30, first shot. DRT!
uvs041215-003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Ha Ha........! I wish I could be there to see how fast you can lever shells in that sucker when that 170 B&C is on the backside of 275 yards in one of your wheat fields and you're rainin bullets like artillery fire. You'll wish you had your 300.!.. :lol: :lol:

Hope you get lucky with it.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

[quote="deerwhacker444"]Ha Ha........! I wish I could be there to see how fast you can lever shells in that sucker when that 170 B&C is on the backside of 275 yards in one of your wheat fields and you're rainin bullets like artillery fire. You'll wish you had your 300.!.. :lol: :lol: /quote]

Razzberries Punk!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Ha Ha........! I wish I could be there to see how fast you can lever shells in that sucker when that 170 B&C is on the backside of 275 yards in one of your wheat fields and you're rainin bullets like artillery fire. You'll wish you had your 300.!.. :lol: :lol:

Hope you get lucky with it.
That's why you need a tang sight - if you've done your homework, just dial it in.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am on a mission to complete the pledge this year also. Last year I bought an original 86 in 33wcf and after all the hassel of finding bullets it liked and forming brass and getting it ready ...I missed. The deer wasn't that far away and I didn't have branches or anything in the way I just blew it.(step son was watching and stated "you rushed the shot"...AAAARRRRGGGHHH) I did get a deer the next day but had decided to use the marlin 1895 in 45-70(really messes the neck of a deer up at 12 feet...not kidding 12 measured feet) So I am taking the 86 out this year until it gets one or the season ends. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I recenlty made good on that LEVERGUN pledge. I recently made a NILGAI hunt and was the only hunter (18) with a LVERGUN. I used my Guide Gun. I took a bull and a cow. This was the first game I have taken with the 45-70!!

TomF
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I rotate guns through deer season. When I fill a tag with one .I put it away and use something different. I took that pledge 3 years ago and still have leverguns that I haven't tagged anything with yet. This year it's the 338MX, then 32 special and 38-55 with home cast bullets. I'm still testing to find with a good cast load for both.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

TomF wrote:I recenlty made good on that LEVERGUN pledge. I recently made a NILGAI hunt and was the only hunter (18) with a LVERGUN. I used my Guide Gun. I took a bull and a cow. This was the first game I have taken with the 45-70!!

TomF
:mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Great Job! Nilgai are definately on my short list of animals to hunt. Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

me too! with the 38-55
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I shot 2 bear with my lever in 50ak in june. When deer season rolls around, I'll shot one with the xlr in 308me and one with the 1895 winchester in 30-06.