New 45 Colt and 45-70 bullets for California shooters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

New 45 Colt and 45-70 bullets for California shooters

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Franz at Northfork Bullets informed me that they just came out with a 260 gr Cup Point Solid in 45 cal that is CA approved as non lead. The cup point deforms enlarging the meplat but doesn't open up like the Barnes XPB. If you want bullets that act like solids these are a bit more expensive than the PBX bullets at $85 for 50. They are CNC machined out of solid copper. The bullet bases have numerous mini grooves to cut down on pressure. They also have 325 gr and 350 gr .458 Cup Point Solids for the 45-70 that are CA approved. These will penetrate like hardcast lead. So if you prefer penetration greater that the Barnes Bullets these should be for you. He said they would be coming out with a .475 CPS which would be great for my 92 in 480 Ruger. I asked him to make them at least 325 gr as opposed to the Barnes 275 gr HP.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New 45 Colt and 45-70 bullets for California shooters

Post by JReed »

Cool. Do you have a link or pics?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Hmmm. Interesting, but I kinda like the Barnes TSX in my .45-70 and .45-90 Winchesters. I think that I need to try some of the 250 grainers, too. The 300s are quite a bit longer than the standard Barnes Original of the same weight, something which makes for compressed loads and the need to reduce powder charges by several grains.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

now all we need is a good .22 lr. According to the NRA, Fish and Game is expanding the non-lead requirement to small game and upland game.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Last I heard the small game/upland game thing fell through.
Break on through to the other side!!!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I ordered the 350 gr Cup Point Solids off the website. The 325 gr CPS are not ready yet. I also ordered the 260 gr CPS 45 Colt bullets over the phone as they are not listed on the web site yet. These are shorter and heavier for caliber than the Barnes Bullets as they do not employ a large hollowpoint. The cup point flattens out to increase meplat size but does not peel back. Per Franz if you want to shoot a deer through the heart lung area in a broadside shot the Barnes will work. The NF bullets will travel lengthwise through the deer, just like a premium cast lead bullet will. He did not knock the Barnes Bullets, he just said his were designed to meet the needs of CA hunters who want to hunt with big bore bullets that are heavier for caliber than the Barnes bullets, with big meplats that penetrate more deeply than the Barnes Bullets. The cup point on the 260 gr 45 Colt bullets flatten at about 1200 fps but remain flat and don't peel back at 454 and 460 velocities. He said even if I shot them out of my Birds Head Vaqueros at 900 fps they would still act as a LFN hardcast with the cup point intact. Also the pistol bullets have the multiple mini grooves the same as the rifle bullets to reduce pressure. The Barnes pistol bullets don't. The rifle bullets have numerous mini grooves in the base as opposed to the 2 or 3 grooves of the Barnes TSX bullets. That is why his bullets are slightly more expensive than the Barnes bullets as all those mini rings are CNC machined into the bullet making them more labor intensive.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Nice report, NonPC! Thanks for the heads-up!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

CowboyTutt wrote:Nice report, NonPC! Thanks for the heads-up!

-Tutt
Hey Tutt: How is that customized 454 Puma of yours shooting? Sounds like the 260 gr Cup Point Solids would be great in that gun. I noted that Rossi is still making the 454 but not the 480 Ruger Puma. I got the 480 because I knew they were being discontinued. Yours was the more logical choice. Hopefully, NF will make some .475 cal CPS for the 480 Ruger and 475 Linebaugh. That little Puma is a about a pound lighter than even the Marlin Guide Gun and just feels good in the hand. The 260 gr bullet will handle anything in California. Luckily, Rossi is still making it so I can correct that lapse in judgement. However it is a good excuse to buy another rifle. Unfortunately I just bought an 09 Harley Street Bob in pewter denim. A brushed stainless Puma would look great in a motorcycle gun rack like the cops have for shotguns. Should get a lot of attention! Probably too much attention if you know what I mean. I wonder how many times I would be stopped on the way to the range? He! He! He!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

OMG, an 09 Street Bob in pewter! No way! I almost ordered up my 09 Street Bob in that color but went with the Blue Denim. I can't believe we bought the same bike! Pictures please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Puma has been completely "accurized" by Mic McPherson now. The list of what he did took me two pages of notes to write. I plan on writing an article on it some day.

Here are some pics I took of it when I picked it up in CO last April. It doesn't look particularly unusual, just nice. -Tutt

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Tutt: Great minds think alike, eh? Is the recoil pad the original pad or is it a Limbsaver, etc. Also was the butt angle changed? My 480 Ruger Puma buttstock is shorter at the top than the bottom. It looks like it was done to decrease snagging on clothing when the gun is mounted to the shoulder. It feels weird once shouldered, being used to buttstocks that are cut approximately 90 degrees to the comb of the stock. I am going to have it trued up so it matches the rest of my leverguns whether Winnies, Marlins or Pumas.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

NonPC, its a Kick Ease pad if I remember right. The stock pad does very little to absorb recoil. Mic has an elaborate way of mounting it so it will always reinstall in the exact same posistion. He did not change the angle that I know of.

What about those bike pics? :lol:

-Tutt

NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

CowboyTutt wrote:NonPC, its a Kick Ease pad if I remember right. The stock pad does very little to absorb recoil. Mic has an elaborate way of mounting it so it will always reinstall in the exact same posistion. He did not change the angle that I know of.

What about those bike pics? :lol:

-Tutt

I will take delivery next week. I also have to learn to ride it. After 5 years of convincing my wife to let me get the bike, I knew it was a one shot deal. She would not go for buying a learner bike like the 883 Sportster and then trade up. So I went with the bigger bike. In reality there is only 80 lbs difference between the 2. I also need to get my permit. I have a good friend who has ridden bikes for years to tutor me and I'll ride it on quiet surface streets for awhile. Then I'll take a motorcycle safety class and get my license. But like some guns, you gotta get them while you can or someone else will. The 09s have the catalytic converters are in the mufflers and can be removed by changing pipes. The 2010 models will have the converter moved further up the exhaust system so the whole header system will have to be changed out. Not that a responsible, upstanding person like me would remove the converters. I was referring to all those other guys. :roll:
Meanwhile you might wanto get a box of those 260gr bullets to try though your Puma.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I just had a long talk with my good friend Dan who is the best Harley sales tech I have known, and a very experienced rider. He says you will be on a very steep learning curve and probably the worst thing you can do is ride with more experienced riders who will be going faster than you. You need to be extra cautious and assume there is gravel around every turn until you learn the skills necessary to handle the situation. We have both seen too many first time riders on big Harleys crash just pulling off to the shoulder to let others go by!

He seemed to think the Street Bob is a good choice as its very stable, well balenced and has mid-mount foot controls. Just be very careful my friend. I look forward to the "baby pics" when you get it home!

-Tutt

NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I will be taking it slowly until I fully master the bike before riding with experienced riders. My buddy is very patient. I learned too many things the hard way with guns to make the same mistake with bikes. When I transitioned from revolvers to my 1911 I had no formal instruction. I wrapped my support hand around my shooting hand with my thumb behind the slide. Wanna guess what happened when I pulled the trigger. Luckily, the slide just took a nick out of the skin over the first joint of my thumb. Never made that mistake again. I will be on paved residential streets for learning starting, stopping, shifting gears, turn signal etc until they are second nature before venturing out. I had both shoulder joints replaced before getting the bike. The doctor who has repaired shoulders was more worried about my rifles than a bike. He said if the bike starts to tip I don't care how strong the rider is, if he's smart he'll get out of the way as it goes over. He wasn't too happy about my 450 Marlin Guide Gun though.
Last edited by NonPCnraRN on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sounds like a plan. I believe they give you a copy of the MSF handbook with your packet of bike stuff. If they do, take the time to study it. Its actually quite good!

-Tutt