Savage 99 Takedown Help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
44/40
Levergunner 2.0

Savage 99 Takedown Help

Post by 44/40 »

Just got a 1937 vintage 99 takedown. It arrived disassembled. Started screwing it together, and after a couple of turns, something clicked and now it won't screw in or out...HELP !!
Thanks guys
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Savage 99 Takedown Help

Post by John in MS »

Did you have the lever open when you started assembling it?

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
44/40
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44/40 »

I think I may not have. Any suggestions ?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Open the lever and try to remove the barrel - check to se if the extractor's bent (the "click").

44/40
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44/40 »

Hard to tell for sure, but it from what I can see, something seems to be sticking out of the assembly (?) at the rear of the forearm itself (below the barrel) and is in the groove in the barrel threads.
Any ideas ?
44/40
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44/40 »

The threaded shank of the bbl. is barely into the receiver. There is 3/8" of threads still sticking out of the receiver. Something in the assembly (?) at the rear of the forearm (under the barrel)seems to have popped into the groove in the barrel threads preventing the barrel from turning. I can't get in there to move it. I'm wondering if it's a piece that retracts when the takedown button is pushed ? Can the forearm be removed and disassembled ? Any ideas ?
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

44/40 wrote:The threaded shank of the bbl. is barely into the receiver. There is 3/8" of threads still sticking out of the receiver. Something in the assembly (?) at the rear of the forearm (under the barrel)seems to have popped into the groove in the barrel threads preventing the barrel from turning. I can't get in there to move it. I'm wondering if it's a piece that retracts when the takedown button is pushed ? Can the forearm be removed and disassembled ? Any ideas ?
Take off the forearm.

Latch on forearm should allow the forearm to come off.

Last thing you do after all the rest is put the forearm on.

Remove forearm, make sure action is open and you should be able to screw the barrel on.

Let us know if there is something else happening.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm sorry - I didn't realize you were trying to install it with the forearm mounted on the barrel ! :o

The forearm should remove like a SxS shotgun, and when placed cross-wise to (and on) the forearm lug, used to get a better grasp of the barrel to turn/snug the it, after opening the lever/bolt as posted above.

(the recess inside, on the forend iron, fits the lug)

44/40
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44/40 »

Step 1. Remove forearm - DUH :lol:
Thanks guys.