jacketed bullet reloading question....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
94deluxe
Levergunner

jacketed bullet reloading question....

Post by 94deluxe »

Im reloading 45 LColt for a SAA...i know it is standard procedure to size cast bullets .001 + larger than groove diameter but is it ok for jacketed bullets to be .001 over groove diameter? I have some .452 jacketed and the barrel slugs .451. Thanks. Matt
Hunting with and shooting 85's, 86's, 92's, 94's in Texas!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: jacketed bullet reloading question....

Post by J Miller »

Matt,

That .452" bullet will be fine. The important dimension in a revolver is actually not the grove diameter, it's the chamber throats. To get proper sealing the bullet should be sized as close to the throat diameter as possible, as long as the throats are not smaller than the grove diameter. That situation creates all sorts of problems by itself.

Here is an extreme example: My S&W 25-5 in .45 Colt has as best as I can measure it, .4515" grove diameter. The chamber throats are .457". Horribly over sized. If I shoot .451" to .452" jacketed bullets through it the accuracy is mediocre to decent at best. However if I shoot .452" lead bullets through it, the accuracy goes down the toilet and the gun leads like a fiend. This is because although the bullet matches the bore, it's grossly undersized for the throats. When this happens the powder gasses blow past the base of the bullet and soften the lead till it smears as it enters the barrel.
Now, if I use .456" to .457" lead bullets this revolver shoots superbly. No extra pressure and no leading either.

Another example is my Uberti Cattleman. According to Uberti the grove diameter is .450". I haven't measured it, I'm taking their word for it :roll: . The chamber throats are sized so that a .452" jacketed bullet can be pushed with some pressure through them.
This gun shoots beautifully with .452" jacketed and lead bullets. It also shoots .456" lead bullets increadibly well. No extra pressure because of the bullet diameter either.

So go ahead and use those .452" bullets and you'll be OK. However you might find that SAA, it it's a Colt has chamber throats on the large size. From what I've read Colt still makes them using the old black powder ( SAAMI ) specs.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
94deluxe
Levergunner

Post by 94deluxe »

Joe, Thank you very much! Ive been reloading for rifles for years but this is my first time for a revolver. I will check the throat diameter of the colt and go from there. Thanks again!!
Hunting with and shooting 85's, 86's, 92's, 94's in Texas!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Matt,

I'm glad to be of help.

Oh, just FYI, the factory bullets in Remington .45 Colt Standard factory ammo measure out at .455". Those in the Winchester are .456". The R-P bullets have a concave base while the Winchester bullets are still a hollow base.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***