OT-Gunshow report.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Gunshow report.

Post by jnyork »

Happened to be traveling through Casper, Wyoming yesterday and dropped in at the gunshow they have there every couple or three months. The show promoter should be indicted for fraud for advertising this as a gunshow, it was just a flea market with a few guns scattered about! Worst I have ever seen.

There was the fudge guy. There were the scented candle ladies. There was the whole row of tables full of jewelry. There were at least 20 tables full of old military surplus clothing and other mall ninja flotsam. There were maybe 10 tables with knives of various pedigrees, along with at least 2 purveyors of chinese-made ninja swords. There was the old couple wanting to clean your glasses. There was a recruiter for some obscure political party. There were the usual motley assortment of bits and pieces from WWII European military rifles. One guy had a bunch of Walmart ammo he was trying to sell for double what he paid for it, same stuff he was trying to sell at the last Casper show for triple what he paid for it, still no takers. :shock:

On the plus side, lots and lots of new handguns, anything you want at not-too-inflated prices. A pickup load of AR15 type rifles, the price on these now down under a thou in most cases, I think a lot of dealers have got caught with their pants down on these, still no buyers that I saw. All the powder you wanted at 18-22 bucks a pound. A few primers scattered about, I didnt dare ask the price. A few nice old guns to admire, but mostly just run of the mill stuff, that of it that was there.

Sure am glad I didn't drive all the way down there (150 miles) just to go to this show , would have made me plumb grouchy. :D

Re: OT-Gunshow report.

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I quit going to gun shows 25 years ago because they were turning into flea markets. I have been to the last three of our local shows but will probably quit again as the wares there are either junk or way over priced.

Yesterday I saw a Marlin 336 carbine that had some of the nicest wood I have seen on a Marlin. Trouble is some hack had stippled some deep patern on both butt and forend and nickle placed the barrel bands and the lever.
:evil: :evil: :evil: He took a nice desirable rifle and turned it into junk! :x Oh by the way he thought is was worth more than a new rifle of the same make. :? :roll:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I went to the Harrisburg Pa show on Saturday. Ran into a friend from another forum and he threw me to the floor and twisted my arm behind my back until I bought a 1978 Marlin 1894 in 44mag...well that's the story if my wife ever figures out that I haven't owned it for a few years. $315 OTD. He got another Savage in 22-250 heavy barrel stainless with a super nice stock...you guessed it I made him too. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

The Wichita shows are the same people with the same overpriced stuff year after year. And yes, the accessories tables are starting to outnumber the firearms. I quit going to them a couple of years ago. You see the same dealers there, wanting the same outrageous prices for the exact same stuff, and trying to pay %25 of value for everyone else's stuff. The only deals to be had are walking in the door. The only one I attend now is the Tulsa show twice a year, and even that one wasn't much for buying last couple of times. It's the little tables in the corners that are willing to sell for reasonable honest values, and once again the stuff walking around in the aisles. GB used to be a good place to buy, but lately it's been infiltrated by the same dealers as what's at the shows.

Ed
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Same way with one of the two Reno shows. The one at the old Hilton used to be the Shotgun News show. It's still a real gun show. The other one is just a flea market now too. Since I moved to Oregon, I miss the Grand Sierra Resort (Hilton) show. Or, G.S.R. - Gun Shot Residue!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

There is legislation on the Governators desk to ban gun shows on "public" properties in CA. I could care less, because these shows are a complete waste of space. Most offer nothing of interest these days and what guns do show up are overpriced junk. Good riddance. :x
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

Well now, The last time I went to see Sis, I went with B.I.L. and my two nephews to a little show in Lakeview,Ca. Left with around $ 150 in ammunition purchases, that would have cost me $400 ,if all could have been found at local emporiums,or $300 at Gunshows close to home..I do the sell side at 4-6 shows annually within 60 miles of res.,but anyone expecting to buy my guns for $50 less than I can get on G.B. or A.A. would do as well staying home. Nate
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Nate, are you referring to the Lakeview in Riverside County?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

Oh-oh..Not Lakeview, Lakeport ( in Lake county) Sis lives in Cobb.. Nate
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I didn't think that you'd find any kind of a gunshow in Riverside. Clear Lake is more like it. These small venue shows are not in any immediate danger at this time. :)
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

Had" Lakeview on my mind" as gunshow partner and I discussed doing an show in Lakeview, Or. soon... Decided no, as too far with our big game rifle season coming up soon..Some gypsy Gun show dealers have suggested that it is a great little show,on both the buy and sell sides...May try in the Spring ,but it's a lot further than we accustomed to traveling... Nate
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

What kind of prices did you see on the candles?

Pharmseller
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

pharmseller wrote:What kind of prices did you see on the candles?

Pharmseller
:lol: :lol: :lol: