OT-Seller unbiased opinion of the new Colt 22LR M4

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Seller unbiased opinion of the new Colt 22LR M4

Post by jdad »

I think Colt may have some problems, to resolve. :D

Read the listing "TITLE" first, then read his listing "DESCRIPTION", then look at the photos. This dealer is definitely, not an "artist".....he ain't painting any pretty pictures. :wink:

START WITH THE BOTTOM LISTING FIRST.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =140382362

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =140385240

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =140387169

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =141283218

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =140641947
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Seller unbiased opinion of the new Colt 22LR M4

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Not pretty. Colt has lost the 1911 market, will probably be losing the AR market, and will likely be relegated to the dustbin. Do they even make their own SAA's or are those marked Colt actually made by the Italians these days?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:lol:

We have one at the shop but I don't know anyone who has shot one (or tried).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Wow, for $250, how bad could they be?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

rjohns94 wrote:Wow, for $250, how bad could they be?
They list for about $600, so you would expect them to function.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Saw a few in person at the gunshow this weekend. Talked to the sellers and they said that they haven't gotten any nibbles on them yet. When I asked how they worked they said, "Great after you break them in." Makes me wonder how many rounds they need through them till they're 'broken in', 5,000? 10,000?
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I just got the S&W version. Functions flawlessly. The trigger leaves a lot to be desired, 7lbs+ and creepy. It's extremely accurate, even with the awful trigger no trouble putting all 25 in a 1-1/2" hole (2.5-7x Weaver scope mounted) at 50 yards. The word is that any AR trigger will go in, so I'm in the "deciding" phase on which trigger I'll go for.

They've got to be making a fortune on these, not a lot of metal work involved. Looks like you could manufacture them for well under $200 & they list at $500. A great fun gun & I'm delighted with it, gonna shoot a LOT of silhouettes with this one.

Now if only Wally World would start having .22 bulk ammo in stock........
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

WinM71 wrote:I just got the S&W version. Functions flawlessly. The trigger leaves a lot to be desired, 7lbs+ and creepy. It's extremely accurate, even with the awful trigger no trouble putting all 25 in a 1-1/2" hole (2.5-7x Weaver scope mounted) at 50 yards. The word is that any AR trigger will go in, so I'm in the "deciding" phase on which trigger I'll go for.

They've got to be making a fortune on these, not a lot of metal work involved. Looks like you could manufacture them for well under $200 & they list at $500. A great fun gun & I'm delighted with it, gonna shoot a LOT of silhouettes with this one.

I'm kind of waiting for the Sig 522. I spoke with them about mid August and they said that they had a 40,000 + backorder already. They estimate the end of the year, for release. I hope it's taking this long because they are working the bugs out, so it doesn't end up being a Colt II.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I went to the GB site. Lots of them for sale. Saw a "Spikes" tactical 22LR ,"Not Colt" for $1100.00. What's that?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Gun Smith wrote:I went to the GB site. Lots of them for sale. Saw a "Spikes" tactical 22LR ,"Not Colt" for $1100.00. What's that?

That guy's awesome --- sorry he lost his rear on these tho.

A Spikes is a full on AR-15 with a dedicated .22 LR upper receiver (basically a .22 conversion bolt carrier, magazine and a dedicated 1/16 twist .22 LR barrel)
completely different animal than the Umarex. Although for $1100 --- it should have a healthy list of trick parts --- my dealer sells the uppers for around 575 --- there are precious few AR lowers out there worth 525 (if course if the lower in question is complete and has a Colt logo, that would do the trick-- anything marked Colt is high $$$ -- except obviously for the plinker in question that originated this thread)
----- Doug
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

My youngest is getting ready to deploy to the Middle East (in two weeks) and wanted the Colt/Umarex/Walther M4 as his going away, BDay, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Lithuanian Independence Day present. He's had it about 1 month and we have only put about 400-500 rounds through it. No feeding problems or jamming problems at all. Has to be the 10 round magazine (Kalifornia) -vs- 30 round magazine that most of these seem to come with. There is a recoil adjustment but he's never touched that. Winchester Dynapoint .22LR's is what he feeds it. The thing is a hoot to shoot.
Tom

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

WinM71 wrote:I just got the S&W version. Functions flawlessly. The trigger leaves a lot to be desired, 7lbs+ and creepy. It's extremely accurate, even with the awful trigger no trouble putting all 25 in a 1-1/2" hole (2.5-7x Weaver scope mounted) at 50 yards. The word is that any AR trigger will go in, so I'm in the "deciding" phase on which trigger I'll go for.

I bought one of the S&W's myself. I got lucky I guess, the trigger on mine is pretty good. A little heavy maybe, but crisp.

Google BILL SPRINGFIELD TRIGGER JOB and you'll find his website. For $35 he'll do a trigger job for you. I have 4 AR's (2 of mine and one each of my son's) that all have his trigger jobs. Best gun related money I've ever spent.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Not pretty. Colt has lost the 1911 market, will probably be losing the AR market, and will likely be relegated to the dustbin. Do they even make their own SAA's or are those marked Colt actually made by the Italians these days?

Seems like I heard they were farming them out.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

For a slightly different twist on the .22LR "AR-15", Jeff recently reviewed Ruger's new offer. Yes, it is really a 10/22. But that is a good thing - after all, no one can argue with that platform's reliability and ruggedness!

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR22.htm