Model 71 Deluxe grip cap question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Model 71 Deluxe grip cap question

Post by big bear »

I have a Mod71 Deluxe bought from estate, fired little. Late production 45xxx, has smooth (no logo) grip cap. I have wondered about it. College football boring so far this a.m., so while checking ads here ended up on Gun Broker. Lo and behold there is a Win71 Deluxe modael serial number 45809, it has a smooth grip cap (no Winchester logo) just like mine. Someone here suggested these might be replacement caps for damaged original cap. The GunBroker 71 is in 99% condition, just like mine. Seems unlikely to me that 2 Deluxe 71's made about same time would both need "replacement" grip caps. I would be most interested in what the 71 experts have to say. Thanks, half time is over, back to work :lol:
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Model 71 Deluxe grip cap question

Post by big bear »

Gun Broker ad is 141193642, I think, if you want to check picture.The way the prices of these are going, I'm going to start wearing white gloves when I clean my rifle and shoot it only on sunny days in leap years
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Just came accross another Winchester 71, late production, Deluxe model, original owner, here in Western Canada, also has a logoless grip cap. I think this is an end of production thing and these are not replacement caps as both rifle are one owner rifles and this fellow says his was like that from the store. Mine is from a man's son so I can't ask the owner, but the son never used it and he says his Dad got just before he passed on. Interesting, to me at least. I'd love to hear if anyone else comes across a logoless grip cap on Win71 Deluxe , late production.Go Saints!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

To the best of my limited knowledge the correct grip cap for the 71 is plain, but the 1886s have logo grip caps. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Mike D. wrote:To the best of my limited knowledge the correct grip cap for the 71 is plain, but the 1886s have logo grip caps. :|
Now I have been looking at this carefully since I got my Deluxe 71 6 years ago. mine does not have logo. I check pictures of Deluxes when they come up (eg. Cabelas ads, GunBroker, etc) , they invariably do have logos on them. Some sellers even make a point of mentioning it and displaying pics of it. A friend got a new 71 deluxe (like new),late production, from son of original owner, it has a logo on it. Guy has a nice one for sale, , I was asking details about it and , no logo. I know it's not important at all, but it makes for interesting, drinking my coffee avoiding doing my office work ,discussion. Now if someone could show me where to find a 90% , unaltered 71 carbine with or without bolt peep (I'm not picky) for $2000 or less , available only to balding old guys with bad knees, I''ll shut ,up and be happy for awhile. :lol:
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

My M. 71 (1941) grip cap has the Winchester logo. It is an original gun.