A levergun moose hunt in Wyoming

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

A levergun moose hunt in Wyoming

Post by jnyork »

Dawn of the 4th of October found my wife and I sitting in our 1992 Toyota pickup on a dirt road that follows up the East Fork of the Wind River near Dubois, Wyoming. The weather was clear but nippy at about 25 degrees and a crisp wind blowing out of the North. It was the first day of hunting for my once-in -a-lifetime moose. I had several goals in mind for this hunt. First, I wanted to harvest the moose with my 1886 Winchester rifle, caliber .33 WCF, it being a family heirloom near and dear to my heart. Secondly, I looked forward to a pleasant day afield with my Best Hunting Partner. Next, I wanted a younger moose that would be good eating, not a big tough old greybeard, size of the horns were not much of a consideration. Lastly, I was determined not to shoot ANY moose unless I could back the Toyota up to the carcass. Those of you who have killed a big old elk or large deer down in a canyon and had to pack it out will appreciate that. We are both pushing 70 years of age and are not up to packing anything anywhere.

There were several other hunters in the vicinity of the East Fork, so we took a less-traveled trail leading up a tributary river known as Wiggins Fork. The terrain here was a long draw with the bottom area along the river being fairly flat , lined with tall cottonwoods, willows and brush. We sighted a moose within about 15 minutes. Determining it was a small bull, and making sure he was on the right side of the river, I slipped out of the truck and was going to put the sneak on him when he headed right over toward us. Waiting until he was within about 80 yards and presenting a broadside shot to me , I popped him the neck with the .33. He went down right there, hunt over at about 8:00 AM.

Well, the fun was NOT over! My wife went back to bring up the Toyota as I walked carefully over to the moose, keeping a cautious eye on him. Imagine my dismay in discovering the critter was NOT on the right side of the river at all! The river divided for a ways just upstream, forming an island in midriver. The moose was on the island. I simply had not seen the situation due to the brush and terrain.

This being the Rocky Mountains, the river bed was of course entirely composed of rocks, BIG rocks, the smallest being the size of a man's head. The river at this point was maybe 40 feet wide, running fast , perhaps a foot deep at worst. Luckily, just where we needed it, we discovered where there had been a crossing at one time, with a little trail leading down to the bank. Likely, nobody had used it since the last string of oxen pulled the last freight wagon up it. Nevertheless, nothing to do but have at it. I jumped in, Nancy put it down in 4WD Low and away we went, down over the bank and bouncing throught the river over the boulders. The river was a little deeper than it looked from the bank, but we made it across in good order and backed the truck right up to the carcass.

By about noon we had the animal dressed, skinned, quartered, cooled out a little and loaded up in the Toyota. What a chore! It was a small moose, but when dealing with moose, small is a relative term. It was all we could do to wrestle the quarters up onto the tailgate and into the bed. We loaded up the gear and headed back down to the river.

I picked what looked to be a good line and headed 'er back into the river, spurring the truck right smartly as we bounded over the boulders once more, headed for the point where the trail entered the river. Nothing doing! We made to to the bank, but spun out in the slippery wet large rocks adjacent to the embankment. Several runs at it produced nothing. Backing out into the river a ways to a point where the water was not quite so deep, we pondered our situation. Finally, my wife got out and waded over to the embankment, slipping and staggering over the wet rocks in the fast-moving current. She was able after a while to move about a dozen of the biggest rocks blocking the way to the embankment. Gunning the engine for all it was worth, I gave it another valiant effort, to no avail, still spun out. I tried again, and yet again, still couldnt get out of the river and the place where I was doing all the spinning was getting deeper with each effort, the water almost over the wheels now. Finally on the fourth try the front wheels somehow found a little traction and the faithful old Tojo came leaping up out of the river at full throttle, up the embankment and onto dry land. We were home free!

We found a sunny spot among the cottonwoods out of the wind where my wife got out of her wet clothes. We had bite of lunch and headed out for the hour and half drive back to Lander, I had to keep the heater going most of the way to get her feet and legs thawed out and to keep her from getting a chill. Arriving home, we managed to get the meat hung up, then got cleaned up a bit and, being totally and completely tuckered out, spent the rest of the afternoon napping and recovering.

I know, the 2 year old moose is probably not what most of you would have shot on your once-in-a-lifetime hunt, so be it. It met all the criteria I had for my hunt. We had a grand adventure, we did not have to hike out and get help and we have a winter's worth of good eating. What more could a person want?

The moose and I: Image

Lunch time: Image
Last edited by jnyork on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: A levergun moose hunt in Wyoming

Post by Terry Murbach »

WONDERFUL. I KNOW JUST ABOUT WHERE YOU WERE AT TOO. MOOSE IS LOVERLY VENISON.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

That is one cool hunt and a great story! Congratulations to you both on a great moose!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

fantastic hunting story....Congrats...
Looks like your set for meat....for quite some time... :P
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

It doesn't get any better than that! Congratulations!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That has got to be one of the best hunting stories I've ever read! Very happy for you. :D
Except I'm a little cornfuzed, tomorrow is the 4th of Oct. Was this a hunt from last year, or did ya typo the date?
NRA Life Member
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

TedH wrote:That has got to be one of the best hunting stories I've ever read! Very happy for you. :D
Except I'm a little cornfuzed, tomorrow is the 4th of Oct. Was this a hunt from last year, or did ya typo the date?
Naw, old dummie here was looking at the September calander when he wrote the story. :shock: :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I agree with TedH, That has to be one of the best hunting stories I have ever read. You met all of your goals, filled the freezer with a once in a life time Moose, and used a wonderful rifle, with history and made a wonderful shot, had an adventure and got back safe. WOW :mrgreen: :mrgreen: thank you for sharing
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

WONDERFUL story, AWESOME photo's!

Congradulations!

"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Outstanding hunting story and CONGRATULATIONS on a great hunt. I hope ya'll enjoy all the fine meat, it should be even better after taking it with your 86 and bestest hunting partner.
Ricky

DWWC
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Congrats on the moose. I suppose if everything had gone perfectly it wouldn't have been near as much fun. This way you'll enjoy the meat a whole lot better.

I think.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:

Such a moose would be fine for me! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Good shooting that swamp donkey will eat good. danny
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I'm most impressed that you have a wife who would wade into a swift river in 25 degree weather and move several boulders! :o
They don't make 'em like that anymore. :wink:
Congratulations on a great hunt and a great memory!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent! .... and with a classic '86. It must be especially fulfilling to have harvested that Moose with your '86. Your wife sounds like a good woman to take on a hunt.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Great hunt and fine trophy. Don't apoligize for a two year old bull. The best troply I will ever take was a doe I stalked and killed with my longbow.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Pretty darned neat and with a .33WCF too!

One of these days I'll get my moose. I'll have to use my .33WCF too.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Outstanding! I have found horns to be mighty tough eating myself <G>.

Hard to beat a 4x4 Toyota isn't it? I have an '01 Tacoma now, but used to have a red '90 4x4 pickup that looked a lot like yours.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

How absolutely wonderful was that. Congratulations are deserved for the both of you. Excellent story. Thanks.
Old Law Dawg
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

Well done! I love hearing about 86's that still go out hunting. Looks like a great way to pack the freezer. What load were you using?
"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not used one or is un-wittingly commenting on their marksmanship." Phil Shoemaker
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations, great story well told! You both sure earned that Moose. :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Congrats,.... nothing more gratifying than meeting the unexpected on a wilderness hunt and conquering it. I agree with you, moose is really nice eating. I was never into the trophy thing when I hunted, nice to read about someone hunting just for some real good eat'n!!!!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Thanks for the great story! The old .33 will make meat every time provided you do your part, which you most certainly did. 25º, brrr. It's still in the 70s at 6000' in these parts, but no moose. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

It just don't get any better than that!
AQHA Life Member
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Bogie35 wrote:I'm most impressed that you have a wife who would wade into a swift river in 25 degree weather and move several boulders! :o
They don't make 'em like that anymore. :wink:
bogie
Got that right!! Poor young guys these days just dont know what they're missing! :D
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nice job making the packsaddle look like antlers. :D

Seriously tho congratulations on drawing the permit, and finding the moose....
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Excellent indeed.! Great story.! :D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Great story and pictures.

I woke up to 4-inches of snow this AM at 0530.

When are you going to head out to AZ?
ED
Yer never too old
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Modoc ED wrote:Great story and pictures.

I woke up to 4-inches of snow this AM at 0530.

When are you going to head out to AZ?
Got maybe 9" on the ground right now and still snowing. Will be in sunny Yuma around the 25th of this month. Maybe sooner if the dang snow keeps falling. :D
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

jnyork wrote: The moose and I:

Lunch time:
All you guys that insist that you must wear camo in order to "Blend IN" for a successful hunt please note what "jnyork" is wearing.

Hunting experience and hunting skills +1.

Camo -- not so much.

Thank goodness "Mrs. jnyork" and the truck weren't in camo or "jnyork" would have starved to death and missed his ride home. :)
ED
Yer never too old
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow, Great Hunt and story. Thank You.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Great story! Thanks for sharing.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Great hunt and a Fine moose!
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D :mrgreen: Great job !!! That is the way things are supposed to work out !!! I've been trying to get drawn for a moose permit in Maine for about 5 years with no luck....maybe next year :D Enjoy the moose burgers, Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Top class hunt if you ask me well done and what a woman :D

Thems Toyota's are tough ain't they!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Super duper extremely cool story :D Oh, I melted when I saw the '86---a special order full length mag. with seldom seen cresent buttplate and what looks like to be a special order 22 inch barrel. Standard was 24". and.......an original Lyman #2 :D

I have to know---what was the load?

You have a mighty good woman there! Mine is about as motivated as a snail and would have watched me struggle.

Your a lucky man to have experienced such an adventure :D :D :D ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The load is 41 grains of 4895 and a Hornady 200 grain flatpoint, pretty much a factory load at about 2000 fps.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Well done. Who said you can't hunt and be successful with and old style gun. They have been used for a long time. The meat should be great.

:mrgreen: