ammo storage question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

ammo storage question

Post by fatoldfool »

OK, I asked this on another forum, would like to know what you guys think. Is storing 2k rounds of pistol ammo in the bottom a Heritage Gun safe OK? or would it be a huge explosion hazard if you happened to have a fire? (since it would be enclosed)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ammo storage question

Post by Tycer »

NO.

It could all go off at once and do zero damage outside the safe. Safe's are not air tight. If it got hot enough to detonate the ammo, the guns are toast anyway.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

No worries, there is nothing to contain the pressure if they did go off. Would just be a bunch of firecrackers. More importantly, if you have enough room in your safe to store 2000 rounds of ammo, you need to buy more guns! :D
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

TedH wrote:No worries, there is nothing to contain the pressure if they did go off. Would just be a bunch of firecrackers. More importantly, if you have enough room in your safe to store 2000 rounds of ammo, you need to buy more guns! :D
:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

fatoldfool wrote:OK, I asked this on another forum, would like to know what you guys think. Is storing 2k rounds of pistol ammo in the bottom a Heritage Gun safe OK? or would it be a huge explosion hazard if you happened to have a fire? (since it would be enclosed)
Ammo is pretty safe in a fire, unless it's in the chamber of a gun. If there's one in the tube and it's on a gun rack or propped in the corner, it could be a hazard to firefighters. Any occupants would be out of the house or asphyxiated before it became a problem for them.

For loose ammo, the casing is the projectile in a fire, not the bullet. Ammo stored in a military ammo can might cause a small explosion if it mass detonates, but again, you would be far away or too far gone before it caused a problem.

Amen on buying more guns to fill up the space!
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Firemen tell me that ammunition is NOT a hazard even in tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds amounts, unless it is chambered in a gun, or in a strong, airtight container that will allow 'explosive' pressures to develop. That evidently does NOT include metal GI ammo cans, because they also say that those cans, filled with ammo are NOT a hazard, and that even when the rounds cook off, the cans stay pretty much intact.

BLACK powder is a definite hazard, according to those same people.

So when some idiot says how 'dangerous' your 'arsenal' is due to the hazard to neighbors if your house caught afire, they should instead worry about your propane tanks for the gas grill.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Hobie wrote:
TedH wrote:No worries, there is nothing to contain the pressure if they did go off. Would just be a bunch of firecrackers. More importantly, if you have enough room in your safe to store 2000 rounds of ammo, you need to buy more guns! :D
:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

I have seen the metal, military ammo cans full of different types of ammo, that have been through a fire. Most were still mostly intact.
Some were sprung open, but none of them actually exploded
or threw any shrapnel from the can itself. Very little decris from the amo escaped the cans, and what did would only have been hazardous if you had been very close to it.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

In our recent fire( C Cash's father flew the lead/scout/spotter plane & I have heard harrowing stories of his courage & tenacity, Chris tell your dad thanks )
I had .44 mag,.357 mag,.38 special,9mm, .22mag..22lr in a bag (luggage ) in the cab of my mothers truck, the fire melted the plastic grill and the plastic camper shell, no harm to the ammo.