Shootin buttugly again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Don McDowell

Shootin buttugly again

Post by Don McDowell »

Well couldn't help myself, had an opportunity to run a few more rounds thru ol buttuglie this afternoon . Weather is cold and windy, but at least the wipin patches didn't freeze together. :D still fewer than 100 rnds thru the barrel.

[img][img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/ ... target.jpg[/img][/img]
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don,

What is "ol buttuglie"?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Well Joe according to some 30 yr old firearms expert in Massachusetts. the 75 sharps rifles are butt ugly and poorly balanced :shock:
So I decided that'ld be a good name for this thing. :lol:
Not that there's any truth to it, matter a fact it's totally opposite, buutt..

[img][img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/ ... Sharps.jpg[/img][/img]
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nuthin' ugly about that rifle at all! 8)
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Thanke Ted, I queered the official mass. gun expert if he had ever seen or handled a 75, and it turns out I have terrible manners and probably wouldn't talk to folks that way in person. :lol:

I'm really amazed at how similar in feel these 75's are to a highwall.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Don McDowell wrote::D Thanke Ted, I queered the official mass. gun expert if he had ever seen or handled a 75, and it turns out I have terrible manners and probably wouldn't talk to folks that way in person. :lol:

I'm really amazed at how similar in feel these 75's are to a highwall.
Now, now, let's not get too personal. I think he might not have been so offended had you just "queried" him!!! :shock:

Say, since that gun is so buttugly, I'll be a nice guy and take her off your hands. Will even pay freight!!! :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don,

Ugly, no way, no how. Those who told that are just jealous.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

You going to listen to him?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Ysabel Gee I sure wouldn't want to offend you by sending that sort of a butt ugly , poorly balanced gun , that also has to suposedly have the barrel broke in, to ya. :o I'll just keep it and suffer along in our own misery. :lol:

Joe it was one of those deals where the guy didn't know up from down, and was trying real hard to impress somebody.
I wish I could get a decent picture of the thing that really shows just how pretty the wood is.
These badger barrels are just amazing, there's no radial tool marks inside, and even with less than a 100 rounds thru it, when held with the muzzle towards the door light in the sun, you can peer down the action and see the reflection of the chairs on the deck.
Fired several rounds without wiping between, and 3 wet patches the 4th one came out clean as a whistle.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Don McDowell wrote::D Ysabel Gee I sure wouldn't want to offend you by sending that sort of a butt ugly , poorly balanced gun , that also has to suposedly have the barrel broke in, to ya. :o I'll just keep it and suffer along in our own misery. :lol:
Well Don, you are a glutton for punishment, but I appreciate you sparing me the shame! :wink:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well its just the right thing to do, to try and keep others from suffering so bad. :lol:

If the wind behaves itself tommorrow I hope to post a decent paper target on this shot up thing, and shoot some loads specially prepared for this rifle. I got a hunch it can really shoot when we find what it really likes.
I'm actually pretty tickled its shooting these loads as well as it does, they were built for my other rifle.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

mescalero1 wrote:You going to listen to him?
:lol: No not really but the butt ugly moniker sort of tickles me, and therefore I decided to use it for this poor ol riflegun. :D
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

When I saw the topic header the first thing that popped into my mind was Someone shot Rosie O'Donnell, oh well, had to get my hopes up...

That is one sharp looking Sharps, not your run-of-the-mill Sharps, quite unique lines which is nice not that there's anything wrong with the looks of other Sharps...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks JI :lol: Never thought about those 2 babes' :lol:

These 75's are quite a bit slimmer than a 74, and consequently weigh in a pound or two less.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Ganjiro,
Finally stopped laughing enough to type,
CLASSIC
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Nice rifle Don! And You're right about Badger barrels, Just don't point one at the sun when it's freshly cleaned, it'll blind ya'. :shock:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

mescalero1 wrote:Ganjiro,
Finally stopped laughing enough to type,
CLASSIC
+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Now for a Buttugle gun that sure does look nice! Maybe shooting it a little more will make it purtier. Just send it to me and I'll see what I can do fer ya. :) Mike
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That rifle is just too cool Don. Thanks for sharing.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks guys. These 75 sharps are the ugly step sister of the BPCR world at the moment, I think. The action is about as slick and as tight as a bank vault in fact its easy to find the cases with rims just a tad thick. If a person compares them in price to the Italian 74 imports, they are a much better buy, both in being cheaper at the moment, and in the lasting value dept. Matter of fact they're not that much higher than the higwall copies.
With the fancy wood, and a couple of other little extras I requested, plus the trigger tune to 2.5 lbs , the thing came to my dealer at just a tad over 2k. The standard sporting and target model lists in the catalog for 1680 with the deluxe sights.
If someone is looking for a rifle to get started into BPCR or the long range sass side matches they'ld do well to take the time to visit with CSharps about the 75.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I have always understood it that the 75 action is a bit more stout than the 74?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Well, since "GANJIRO" brought up Rosie O'Donnel:

This is at the top of my butt-ugly meter and what I compare all things called butt-ugly.

The rifle is definitely NOT butt-ugly.
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

MY EYES, MY EYES, ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

J :shock:e [/b]
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

CCash I've been told that it is by some knowledgeable gunbuilders. Just from what I've messed with it, I sure wouldn't argue the point. :o
Either action is plenty strong enough for what I need a rifle to do.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

That's a beautiful buttugly rifle! :) I see quite a few nice pre-owned C. Sharps 1875s come through a local dealer. They are usually priced much lower than comparable 1874s, and also tend to stay there a while; Shiloh 1874s are snapped up as soon they they are listed. I very nearly bought one a few months ago, but while looking it over, found an issue with the action that necessitated sending it back to C. Sharps. It would be nice to see it come back, though the trading stock I would have used toward it has already been traded on a spare duty pistol, so it would not be as easy as before.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

What issue did you find with the action?
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Don McDowell wrote:What issue did you find with the action?
Looked like someone might have tried to do a trigger job and took too much metal off the sear, as well as I can remember. It was a pre-owned piece.
Have Colts, will travel.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:roll: Ah yes the guparts changer wannabee hard at work again. :x

The nice thing is CSA will get the trigger down to 2.5lbs if a person requests it. They say the trigger with nothing done should be around 4 lbs.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

My first sharps was a 75 and i bought it because of the badger barrels and they told me that they shot better than the the 74's and I didn't have to wait a year to get it. I loved mine. Hit the gong out 300 yards all day with that big 45-70 in Salinas, CA. One day, a guy offered me cash on the spot and alot more than I had paid for it. I took the offer. Sad to this day that i did.

Best of luck to you and I love the name.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks Mike. I think this thing is going to be a shooter. Maybe if the wind stays within reason I'll get a proper target set out , and give it a good test this morning.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Don McDowell wrote::roll: Ah yes the guparts changer wannabee hard at work again. :x

The nice thing is CSA will get the trigger down to 2.5lbs if a person requests it. They say the trigger with nothing done should be around 4 lbs.
Quite possible. Part of me wishes I would have bought it first, then had the dealer send it back for the repair. I did not blame the rifle nor the manufacturer, and may well end up buying on of their 1875s in the future.
Have Colts, will travel.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: yes its' just to bad there isn't a waiting period and background check on files and trigger stones. :) There's alot of decent guns been smucked up pretty bad by gunparts changer wannabee's. :roll: