New Story

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

New Story

Post by JimT »

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: New Story

Post by Mike D. »

Excellent story, Jim! It sure made my morning. :D :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I really enjoyed that story. Well done Jim!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jim,

Excellent story. I do enjoy reading them.

Keep 'em coming.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Jim,

i kinda hate to say it, because i've always enjoyed all your stories. But I think this one is the best one yet.

I must admit, it does leave a fellow to wonder how mych fact and fiction are intertwined in this story. Byt since the statute of limitations is probably not run out, i won't ask. :)
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Doc Hudson wrote:Jim,

i kinda hate to say it, because i've always enjoyed all your stories. But I think this one is the best one yet.

I must admit, it does leave a fellow to wonder how mych fact and fiction are intertwined in this story. Byt since the statute of limitations is probably not run out, i won't ask. :)
Well .... all them places are real .... :lol:
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

JimT wrote:
Doc Hudson wrote:Jim,

Well .... all them places are real .... :lol:
I already knew that, and I also knew you Dad was mighty slick with a six-gun.

I also seem to remember some fellow who knew a thing or 10,000 about guns and gunfighting to say. " Jim Taylor is the most dangerous man I've ever met."

So I ain't asking for any further clarification. I'll let it go with saying it is a heck of a good story.

You know I actually believe that you could make a pretty fair living writing and selling "The Old man and the kid" stories. if you will think back, Robaert Ruark's "The Old man and the Boy" stories got him started to fame and fortune. At least they would have gotten him there if he hadn't drank up the proceeds.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Doc,

Jim's short story could be the basis for a good old fashioned western movie.
Get rid of the references to the DEA and trucks and cars and change it from drug smuggling to cattle rustlers and it would work great.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I appreciate that Doc .. but I ain't dangerous. Now Miss Twyla .. well .. she can be!

As for writing .. I do it for fun and relaxation and to be able to remember some of the fun we had ... or whatever it was we were having :lol:

Wish I had more time for it but my time is in ever-increasing demand .. and shortness these days.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

JimT wrote:I appreciate that Doc .. but I ain't dangerous. Now Miss Twyla .. well .. she can be!

As for writing .. I do it for fun and relaxation and to be able to remember some of the fun we had ... or whatever it was we were having :lol:

Wish I had more time for it but my time is in ever-increasing demand .. and shortness these days.

By definition, women are the deadlier members of the species.

And any woman who carries a 6" S&W M-686 as her purse gun, and backs her husband's play with a double-barreled "Porch Sweeper" in hand definitely meets the definition of dangerous.

It is just good for all concerned that Miss Twyla is just as sweet as she is dangerous.

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

J Miller wrote:Doc,

Get rid of the references to the DEA and trucks and cars and change it from drug smuggling to cattle rustlers and it would work great.

Joe
Joe,

i can't agree!

i don't think that the story needs a single change to make a fine basis for a modern Western.

Way too many movies made about running down rustlers in the Old West for another one to sell. But a more modern story such as Lonesome Trail would make one heck of a Modern Western. IMO, it could be lots better than "No Country for Old Men."

Image Image
UNITE!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Good story Jim. danny
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Doc Hudson wrote:
J Miller wrote:Doc,

Joe
Joe,

i can't agree!

i don't think that the story needs a single change to make a fine basis for a modern Western.

Way too many movies made about running down rustlers in the Old West for another one to sell. But a more modern story such as Lonesome Trail would make one heck of a Modern Western. IMO, it could be lots better than "No Country for Old Men."
Doc,
Perhaps you're right about not needing changes. I just like the "old" old west type stories.
You are absolutely right about "No Country for Old Men", that was a miserable story. After watching that movie I wanted a refund on my DVD rental. Glad we didn't buy it.

Joe
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

GREAT STORY!!!
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Good story as usual.

There is a book called the Reapers Line by Lee Morgan, where he tells of several shootouts and mexican standoffs that he participated in or on the San Pedro river. He is a retired US Customs agent from S. AZ

WE used to fight roosters at a small ranch about half way between Pommerene and Reddington Pass a stones throw from the San Pedro also up at Saint David right on the river.

Have fun
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

J35nut wrote:Good story as usual.

There is a book called the Reapers Line by Lee Morgan, where he tells of several shootouts and mexican standoffs that he participated in or on the San Pedro river. He is a retired US Customs agent from S. AZ

WE used to fight roosters at a small ranch about half way between Pommerene and Reddington Pass a stones throw from the San Pedro also up at Saint David right on the river.

Have fun
I had a good friend named Rick who lived in Oracle .. he participated in those fights I believe ... he raised a goodly number of fighting cocks.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very enjoyable read. thanks. nicely written.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

I dont know about dangerous but I can attest first hand experience of Jim being one heck of a good guy! I did see him bounce a can around with his 32-20 that inspired me to practice harder!
Nother good story Jim.
Jay
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.