lions and bears and deer and elk, oh my, update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

lions and bears and deer and elk, oh my, update

Post by pokey »

ok, the old if you could only have one rifle question.
only it is being played out for real with a fellow at my
work. mid 30s, no guns, wants to hunt. the basic big
game in this part of the world is a combo lic. of cougar,
black bear, deer, and elk. some or all may/may not be possible.
he has gotten advise from various sources, and seems
a little confused. i have a feeling he wants to impress
the guys he may hunt with, with his new hardware. he's
not experienced with shooting, and is hearing how soandso
shot an animal at 300yds or more[ sometimes lots more]. :roll:
so what advise would you offer to someone in this position?
rifle?
caliber?

oh, one rifle for all, not an assortment. :D
Last edited by pokey on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: lions and bears and deer and elk, oh my

Post by TedH »

Sounds like a candidate for a good bolt action 30-06.
NRA Life Member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

+1 on the 06, altho the 308,270,280,would all work, but beings a new non shooter something with easy recoil yet plenty of stuff to get the job done, 7mm08 or 260 rem, wouldn't be bad choices.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

pokey wrote:mid 30s, no guns, wants to hunt. beginner

the basic big game in this part of the world is a combo lic. of cougar,
black bear, deer, and elk. some or all may/may not be possible. 30-30 with 170gr minimum

he has gotten advise from various sources, and seems a little confused. yep

i have a feeling he wants to impress the guys he may hunt with, with his new hardware.
Learn to outshoot them with lots of practice without getting a loudenboomer

he's not experienced with shooting, and is hearing how soandso
shot an animal at 300yds or more[ sometimes lots more]. :roll:
he should start shooting at 100 yards max and not attempt anything beyond his capability

so what advise would you offer to someone in this position? rifle? caliber?
oh, one rifle for all, not an assortment.

Winchester or Marlin 30-30, bolt gun in 30-06 max cailber
:D
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What bsaride said...

Also - trying to 'impress' anyone is pretty much never a good idea, especially if it involves firearms and a novice.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

funny you guys should say that.
i'm all levers all the time, ,,but
i recommended a scoped, bolt, 30-06.

figured flexible, to cover all the game he
might see, and easy/cheap to feed.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

TedH wrote:Sounds like a candidate for a good bolt action 30-06.
Though I own few bolt actions and no 30-06's, I gotta agree.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

yup, 30-06 in a good bolt gun will do just fine!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Dittos. Likely he can get a good buy on one as well. In our shop we have 10-12 good used .30-06s with scopes for good prices. Rugers, Savages, Winchesters, Remingtons... I wouldn't recommend anything else. Since he doesn't reload he'll be able to get a wide range of ammo at the store, the .30-06 hasn't gotten hard to find. PLUS there's the reduced recoil stuff out there for it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Yup!

30ought6 in bolt, with 220 grn Remington factory ammo under 250yds,... and 175 matchking HPBT's for more. If he wants to go lever, he can get the same reliable old work horse 30'06,... or with the size game your quoting, a Marlin 444 is another choice, with Hornady 265 grn LMFN factory ammo.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

How are the bears and cats hunted? If they are shot while treed or bayed, or bear over bait, a 358 Win in a BLR or Ruger Compact 77 would be great for dragging around the mtns. Otherwise, a light, compact 308 like the Ruger Frontier, Rem 7 or Kimber 84 Mtn would be versatile and compact. The Ruger Frontier offers the option of a scout scope mounted or a dot sight. If one of the rifles had sights it might edge out the others if chasing cats and bears is going to be a regular pasttime. Then what if the chance for sheep, goats, or moose comes up? I think all these options are more versatile than a standard rifle in 30-06 with a mandatory scope, IF the types of hunting are like I figure.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

There's a fellow named Richard Proenneke who moved to the Alaskan wilderness and lived there for thirty years. He took a bolt rifle in 30-06 and a S&W revolver in .357 Mag. Said he never felt under-gunned. There's a video about him, "Alone in the Wilderness".

Now, with that said, I'd not be a true levergunner if I didn't suggest to the tyro rifleman that a good Marlin 336 in .35 Rem or .375 Win would fill the needs of a good hunter! :D
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I like a 270 over a 30-06 myself. Shoot both if you can, then decide.
"That'll Be The Day"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

have to go with the gang on this one, for all of north america, bolt rifle in 30-06. for the world, bolt rifle in .375H&H.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Even though, as we all know, the lever gun is the choice of experienced pros who really understand hunting and shooting, there is a lot to be said for a 7-08 bolt gun. The 7-08 is a great round that makes a whole lot of sense.

If I had plenty of money it would be hard to resist the temptation to buy a Remington LSS in 7-08 and put a nice Leupold on it. The LSS is stainless, light, and really feels nice. It is light but still hangs like a rifle.

Here is the link http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... in_LSS.asp

A friend has one in 260 and it makes me very jealous every time I see it.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

If its not the 30-06, Joe does has some good options! The .308 is also a awesome caliber!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

86er wrote:How are the bears and cats hunted? If they are shot while treed or bayed, or bear over bait, a 358 Win in a BLR or Ruger Compact 77 would be great for dragging around the mtns. Otherwise, a light, compact 308 like the Ruger Frontier, Rem 7 or Kimber 84 Mtn would be versatile and compact. The Ruger Frontier offers the option of a scout scope mounted or a dot sight. If one of the rifles had sights it might edge out the others if chasing cats and bears is going to be a regular pasttime. Then what if the chance for sheep, goats, or moose comes up? I think all these options are more versatile than a standard rifle in 30-06 with a mandatory scope, IF the types of hunting are like I figure.
not sure what/where/when, likely start with elk or deer and see what opportunities arise.
the options you list good, but i still think a 30-06 with factory loads is more flexible, 110 gr.
to 220 gr. is quite a spread.

his brother inlaw is telling him to buy a 300 ultra mag, he has one and thinks it's the cat's
pajamas. says he reloads for it and can/will supply ammo. i don't think this is the wisest
decision, but i can only offer advise. there is a small local gun show this sat. been trying
to get him interested in going to look, maybe some oldtimers there will chime in. i have some
friends with gun shops i'd like him to talk to as well. in the end it will be his decision obviously,
i'd just like him to have as much info as he needs to choose wisely.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

+1 :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have an '06 and it is wonderful..one of the old Tang Safety Ruger bolts.....but, I got a real good deal on it....If I were buying new, I'd be tempted to go with a 338 Federal, or 8mm Mauser, or the .35 Whelen, or that Marlin .338 Lever....It's fun to have something a bit different from everybody else.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

AS a beginner, I flinched A LOT with a Ruger Model 77 in 30/06. I think he should either reload lighter loads for '06 or go to .308 or .270 unless he buys a good 8# rifle.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Have him get the ultra mag and free ammo.. Who knows, maybe it pound enough sense into him to listen to some sound advice.. Besides, if he doesn't like the ultra mag, maybe you can get a deal LOL... :lol:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Have him get the ultra mag and free ammo.. Who knows, maybe it pound enough sense into him to listen to some sound advice.. Besides, if he doesn't like the ultra mag, maybe you can get a deal LOL... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"BECAUSE I CAN"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

30-06 or the .308 just pick your flavor of bolt gun. I take it he wont be reloading right away either round can be picked up at any gun store and all the manufacturers produce it.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I am in agreement with the 30-06 bolt. The availability of ammo and of different weights is the top reason and also the amount of selection of rifles chambered for it.

But if only one gun, then I would go with the 9.3x62mm built on the 98 action or the new CZ offering. Factory ammo is fairly easy to get, might have to mail order from Cabelas, Midway, or Grafs. Handloading gives more options with that caliber. You could hunt the world with the 9.3x62 and not ne over gunned for N American game. The felt recoil on such a large caliber is very mild, I prefer shooting my 9.3x62 over the 30-06 and 270, another reason that I recommend it. I haven't used it for shots over 300 yards, (I wouldn't shoot anything over 300 yards at any animal I was hunting, too far in my opinion for clean kills).

One other really great round is the 6.5x55mm, Swedes have been shooting moose and elk for years with it with very good results. Its a very, very mild shooting round and have a good selection of bullet weights.

Steve
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If he's going to buy new. Have a look at the Marlin XL7 30-06 or XS7 308. They are about $325 with a scope base mounted, have a great trigger, fluted bolt and are very accurate.

If used, the Winchester 670 is always a bargain.

The Trijicon Accupoint scopes will certainly impress his friends.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

pokey wrote:

his brother inlaw is telling him to buy a 300 ultra mag, he has one and thinks it's the cat's
pajamas. says he reloads for it and can/will supply ammo. i don't think this is the wisest
decision, but i can only offer advise.
If he needs to hear more common sense suggestions, just show him this thread.
NRA Life Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I've already commented on caliber and rifles but here is another thought regarding mountain rifles - avoid the 3 position bolt safety (Mauser style). In mountainous conditions, literally up on the rock, the sound of that safety carries and is amplified enormously. I was with a hunter that spooked sheep twice in two days when he flicked the safety off from as far away as 200 yds. To me, that leaves older Ruger 77 w/ tang safety, a Sav 99 or BLR (tang safety or cock the hammer), a Browning or Tikka or Savage. If you can find a toggle safety that is very quiet (rare) then the Rem 700 and other rifles with that common safety. I've experienced this problem a number of times with my bear hunters too, although that is over bait at ranges 25 yds or less.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I'd opt for one of two rifles.

First choice would be a >45-70 lever-gun, Marlin, Browning which ever suits his budget. If I were not going to handload, I'd buy ammo from Garrett Cartridge Company. 450 gr. Hammerheads for bear, and 350 grain Superjacks for Elk. I'd probably go with Winchester or Remington standard pressure 350 gr. JSP's for deer and lion.

Second choice would be a Winchester Model 70 Safari Grade in .375 H&H Magnum. According to some very knowledgeable and experienced hunters, the .375 is the only cartridge that a man can take anywhere and be fully prepared to hunt any big game animal on earth.

Tell you buddy he'd impress his hunting partners even more if he bought a .22 rifle and shot it enough that he could drive nails and strike matches than he will with a big boomer that kicks the everliving snot out of him so that he develops a world class flinch.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I would suggest that he get a Marlin 336C in 35 Remington or 30-30, and tell him to practice with it regularly, and tell him to NEVER shoot at anything past 150 yards. It will teach him to be a better hunter. IMHO, I think the worst thing would be to give a novice a 30-06 and tell him it's good to 300 yards. He'll be wounding more animals than he kills, and he'll probably never learn the true joys of real hunting. Nobody would win.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yup. A 'scoped boltgun in .308 (1st choice) or .30-06 for that feller.

Bare-naked leverguns are for Riflemen, and may not be the best for today's brand of neophytes...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Yep go '06. Use light loads (managed recoil) to learn on if recoil shy and work up to big boy loads. :D

Start out on 150gr loads regardless, will easily take the deer and lion with those and go to 165 or 180 for the elk.

Personally, I'd stay away from the 220's in an '06, since the trajectory goes to stuff and for a new hunter it's a lot to compensate for. You either use a round nose bullet that drops like a rock but will expand or use a pointed one that might not open.
jimincfalls
Levergunner

Post by jimincfalls »

A bolt action in .30 caliber would be a great choice, either 30-06 or .308. I went with the .308 so I could shoot F Class, as well, but that's only punching paper. For a dedicated hunting rifle the 30-06 is hard to beat.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The Ruger No. 1, if you can afford a bit of extra dough, gives you what a bolt rifle gives you, but with some major class thrown in. Plus it's got a lever. :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

If a 30/30 won't do then take the 58 patch ball rifle out.

If it's got to be a bolt I would favout a short action in 308.

06! Is there no trees around his place? :lol:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

C. Cash wrote:The Ruger No. 1, if you can afford a bit of extra dough, gives you what a bolt rifle gives you, but with some major class thrown in. Plus it's got a lever. :mrgreen:
You know, I agree with that. Or a TC Encore, 1885 (Modern) Browning or Winchester. I fully believe a novice should learn to hunt with a single-shot. If you know you only have one shot, then shot placement and follow through become paramount in your mind, as you know you may not get a second chance.
I've seen people (the kind who shoot at a pie plate at 25 yards to sight in their gun) empty a 10 round mag out of a pump or auto-loader in order to take a deer. When one guy got to the processors, he got chewed out and told never to bring that kind of shot-up stuff back to his place of business again.

JMHO

a .30-'06, .270. .308, 280 are so similar it's not worth arguing about unless you just like to argue. I would see a definite benefit in a 7mm-08 for a light, compact rifle and new shooter.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

6.5x55
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

mescalero, I have a friend here in Arkansas that has one for sale.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

I don't know if anyone mentioned the obvious yet, but if they haven't, I'd suggest the 30/06.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

30-06 +1

A comment on the ultra mag. My experience with deer sized game and magnums is that you will lose a lot of meat due to blood shot when you body shoot a critter with them. I've seen shoulder shots that destroyed the whole shoulder. I prefer standard velocity calibers like the 06 or 308.

The only time I ever had a "failure" with my 308 was when I shot uphill at a bull elk and hit the brisket bone. The angle was right, but the bullet didn't make it into the lung cavity. The force of the shot knocked the bull down in its tracks, but he was able to walk up the hill about 75 yards, and just stood there until I shot him in the head.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jerrry,
I have one with plastic stock, set up in Scout configuration.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Bolt 308 WCF or 30-06. You can find that ammo in almost any corner Mom and Pop store in the U.S. Fairly light recoiling and you can get small fast ones loads or big slow ones. A piece of quality glass on top and you've got yourself a good shooter.
Old Law Dawg
a357lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by a357lever »

308 or 06 just can't beat em.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

a357lever wrote:308 or 06 just can't beat em.
true. unless you are a model 94 freak like me. then, get the much maligned, nearly obsolete, .356 WCF. it'll work.
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

I had been thinking about this for years and finally thru trial and error feel that I have come up with the best answer to this question...

I shortened a Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM to 21" and did a few mod's with RL17 powder I shoot 260gr Accubonds @ 3000fps and 300gr Gamekings/Partitions/A-Frames @ 2730fps.

I mounted a VX3 4.5-14X40mm B&C reticle scope with Leupold quick dettachable QRW rings and bases when I pop the scope off I install an XS Sights Tall Weaver backup ghost ring sight to go with the NECG Masterpiece banded front sight ramp and fiber optic post.

Loaded with 4 rounds and the scope installed this combo weighs 9 1/2lbs so it is easy to pack all day and there is nothing in North America that this combo can't take care of.

Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Well I've got a M-700 in .30-06 but I would take my Win. M-71 over it, just because.

8)
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

Just to add to what the others keep saying, have him get that 30-06 everyone knows he should get...

but have him buy a cheap one and spend the leftover cash on a bolt action .22 so he can learn to shoot. It would be worth it since he could get a .22 and a brick for less than it would cost to buy enough ammo to learn to shoot with the 30-06. Not to mention it is a LOT easier to find somewhere safe to practice with a .22 than it is to find somewhere safe to practice with a high powered long range rifle.
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

All great suggestions. Even though I don't own one, I would have to suggest a 30/06 bolt gun as well.

Whenever I get these type questions from a potential new gun owner, I try and get him (or her) to go to the range with me. I can let him try my guns and some of my buddies guns and introduce him to the greatest hobby, sport and people in the world. We have to jump on these opportunities to recruit new blood. It bothers me that at 46 I am one of the youngest members of the 2 gun clubs I shoot at.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Major fan and true believer of the .270 and .30-30, and my choices for 40 years for their respective goodness, but for this gent's scenario +1 to the .30-06. The 7mm-08 comments were right on too--a stellar cartridge and the rifles that shoot it,...but for one caliber truly doing all it falls to the '06 -- as usual.
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

i am with Bogie on this one.... a 30-06 might be a bit heavy for a beginner unless he starts on managed recoil ammo.. a 30/30 or 35 rem will do just fine.
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

mescalero1 wrote:6.5x55
+1

Or my favorite.....444!