10 Animals down in 3 days with Leverguns et al.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

10 Animals down in 3 days with Leverguns et al.

Post by 86er »

My friend Jack and I made a loop around the middle of Texas for various business meetings. We left Monday morning and returned Wed night. Along the way we scheduled a hunt at each stop. Near Lake Travis (Austin Area) we hunted on 12.5 acres of green lawn for whitetails. Late in the afternoon, two does came out and fed together. When they were standing one on the right and one on the left, Jack started the 3-2-1 countdown. The 40 yd shots from the 30-30 shooting Grizzly Cartridge 170gr ammo and the 375H&H with 260 gr Nosler Partions knocked both does flat out where they stood.

Tuesday morning found us in Kerrville. We made our way to a 30 acre property after our business lunch and set up shop. On this afternoon hunt, two does came together to an opening about 90 yds away. Jack and I were both aiming but the does were standing one behind the other. As we were aiming, a buck ran up from out in the field. I whispered "buck, buck, buck". Jack has never shot a buck before. He aimed in with the 30-30 but said "oh scrap I can't see the sights good enough". I quickly but quietly pulled another levergun out of its case, loaded and handed it to Jack. This 243 had a scope on it and was ready with 100gr Nosler Partitions. Jack asked if I was ready and I told him to go ahead and shoot the buck and not worry about me. He shot the buck and it jumped up and started running. Jack said "Don't let him jump the barbed wire, shoot!" I let a round go from the 375 as the buck scrambled towards the property line. The bullet slam dunked the deer into the ground. Upon further inspection Jack's shot was fatal and has pierced the heart and cut the aorta and windpipe as it travelled forward inside the deer. His first buck, a small 5 point, is on the way to the taxidermist. I was ready to go get the buck and Jack said "Hey lets wait until it's too dark, it is still legal shooting time and you might still get one". I thought the chances of that were nil, but with 2 minutes legal time left a mature doe jumped the barbed wired and crossed in front of us. The rangefinder said 236 yds, so I held right on her neck as she faced me head-on. At the shot I lost sight and asked what happened. Jack said nothing had run either way so it must be down. We walked out and recovered the buck and then the doe - which was about the same size as the buck. We cleaned up the deer and headed south to D'Hanis.

In D'Hanis in the morning we were hunting on the Gunn-N Ranch for deer. Mr. Gunn told us to shoot does, spikes or cull bucks that did not have the antler class or conformation for their age. At 7:40 I spotted a deer moving to my left. It continued in and I saw it was a buck. Upon closer inspection with the binos, it was a 3 point with a long spike on one side and a fork on the other - perfect cull buck. At 124 yds I hit him in the shoulder with the 375 and he was down and out. We didn't move and just sat still. Within 10 minutes a doe worked her way towards us. At 80 yds, Jack settled the 243 crosshairs on her earhole. Wham-thump! Another one bites the dust.

Thank goodness Texas is generous with the deer tags, plus LAMPS and MLD tags (for quality deer management). We donated 4 deer to Hunters for the Hungry and kept one each. After lunch we headed to Rio Medina to the I.R.R. Bragg Ranch. Here we were paid to cull certain animals. We were told of each animal and it was described to a "T". We then set out to get 'em. It took longer than I figured but this ranch is 20,000 acres.

First we had to find a white Dall ram that had it's hips showing and was broomed off unevenly. It took an hour of glassing rams all over to find him - a lone ram out in high grasses. We snuck up to him and at 50 yds we simultaneoulsy fired the 30-30 and 243. Down he went. Either shot would have been fatal but the combo punch was to avoid having to look for him or potentially wounding him.

Next we set out to take an Addax female that was carrying her right front leg and limping on the left one. We found the Addax about an hour later and deciphered which we needed to cull. At somewhere just over 150 yds ( I didn't rangefind this one) Jack shot the 243 first. The whack indicated a hit but the Addax ran just over 100 yds and stood. I shot the 375 and down she went with not even a quiver. The 243 broke a shoulder and took a lung. The 375 went in the ribs and out the other shoulder, expanding to half dollar size upon exiting.

Last but not least we were to find a white fallow buck that was heavier on the left antler than right and "acting crazy". We debated several white fallow bucks but finally realized the right one. He was bucking for no reason, knocking heads with other animals, ramming trees, etc. Weird behavior to say the least. We got about 80 yds after a long crawl. Jack hit him a little high and back with the 30-30 and he started running and turned straight away. After he got the around the 125 yds mark (only about 2 or 3 seconds) I shot the 375 at his tail. I hit him right up the butt hole and he dropped. The bullet exited very low just behind the heart. The reason he was "crazy" was because he had over 8 feet of barbed wire caught around his antlers, low around the pedestals. The wire had cut through his skull right behind the horns and was making light contact with his cranial matter!

As a "Thank You" Bragg told me I could shoot one of whatever I wanted. I said thanks but no thanks because I thought I had already taken one of every species on this ranch. After hearing the list I said "wait, what kind of Sika Deer do you have"? Well they had Dybowski Sika, which I had never taken. I had taken Japanese Sika, a smaller sub species of Sika with a different conformation. We went out about 3PM and walked through the tall grass for an hour. I spotted some antler tips sticking up over the grass. At 100 yds the wind swirled and a real nice sika buck got up and ran. He made a mistake at around 160 yds when he stopped and looked back like a mule deer. The 260 gr NP caught him just in front of the shoulder and cut the jugular vein while breaking his neck. This one is a nice trophy and will be good eating!

Good friends, good rifle (leverguns and classics), native game and exotics - and we got our work done too!

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: 10 Animals down in 3 days with Leverguns et al.

Post by RKrodle »

Congrats to Jack on his first buck!! Congratulations to both of you and getting to do a whirlwind hunting/business trip. Those are some good looking animals. Ya'll where living the good life :D .
Ricky

DWWC
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

Wow! Congratulations to Jack on his first buck! That is just awesome. It must have truly been a good day because Joe you are, without any doubt, smiling in most of the pictures! Those are some nice looking trophies. I like the fact that you donated a bunch of them. Truly awesome!

Sandy
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That's one heck of a grin Joe! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You can all think what you want of the facial expressions but I assure you it was a frozen "wince" from the 27 degreee temperatures. The ear warmers were also stretching my face out......
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Great going Joe!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

86er wrote:You can all think what you want of the facial expressions but I assure you it was a frozen "wince" from the 27 degreee temperatures. The ear warmers were also stretching my face out......
27 degrees thats t-shirt weather around here.
Nice hunt.
Have a pic of the 375?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Joe,

That was a great story. Congrats to Jack for his first buck.

Did you get a picture of the fallow dear with the barbed wire around his antlers? I was also curious how he'd managed to get himself into that predicament.

You and Jack did more hunting in three days than me and most folks I know have done in our lifetimes. I'm a bit envious.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

We should have taken a picture of the barbed wire. We unravelled the whole thing before we shot the photos. In hindsight, the barbed wire on the antlers would have made a cool photo.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

I mean no disrespect... Buts it that much on the back side of zero here! We refurr to is as (its Sharp out) 8) .. or (Crispy)

^
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Nice animals......I need to move to a different state for hunting. Washington Sucks.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

J Miller wrote: Did you get a picture of the fallow dear with the barbed wire around his antlers? I was also curious how he'd managed to get himself into that predicament.

Joe
A possibility... In a recent trip to Joe's Hondo allotment, I saw more than one Fallow deer having a serious go at a wire fence.

When they are heavy in rut they will apparently fight with anything.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Fred's probably got it. I have no idea how that deer got all that barbed wire around his head - and all wrapped up nice and tight. The protein feeders on that ranch have a low wire fence around it so the hogs and smaller stuff stay out and the deer can jump in. He probably did battle with that fence at some point. Fallow bucks will kill one another during battle in the rut. Every year several are killed by the dominant buck(s) and others end up with poked out eyes, puncture wounds and broken legs.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Cool! I wish my business trips went like that :P
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Nice animals there Guys! Doing a lot better than me! :mrgreen:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:That's one heck of a grin Joe! :mrgreen:
+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool story, Joe. And, that's the biggest smile I've ever seen on your mug. Cropped the photo didn't ya. :D
Old Law Dawg
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like a smile to me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

You are really going to blame your smile on the weather? OK..I'll give you this one. Maybe our really not smiling (don't want to ruin that manly image). I know what it is.....GAS! LOL

Sandy :P
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just remember, Joe is originally from Long Island, New York. The 27 degree weather can't be all that cold to him. Come on, Joe. That was a smile.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost