The December Tonasket Washington Cowboy Silhouette shoot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

The December Tonasket Washington Cowboy Silhouette shoot

Post by Wind »

When you’re sitting in a comfortable chair in front of the wood stove, a freshly brewed cup of coffee in your hand, the fact that it’s 6 degrees (F) outside doesn’t seem like that big a deal. In fact you could stretch that thought as far as it’s downright balmy, as it was minus 12 degrees just a few days ago. Even though the sun hadn’t made an appearance yet I knew today was going to be a good day. I was confident I have most of the bugs worked out on my 113 year Marlin 1893 in 32-40. A new front sight and a new harder hitting load, it’s just gotta be good.

Cleat, the Pygmy Polar Bear, and I hit the road just after the sun came up and the temperature was now up to 7 degrees. Cleat loves to go to the silhouette range. After I turn left off the bridge over the Okanogan River, he knows where we’re headed and gets very antsy and vocal!! Whit Spurzon had e-mailed me saying he wasn’t going to make the match. As I was heading into the range I was thinking how disappointed he sounded as he has two new rifles to try on the flat critters.

After we got the targets all set up and I was back on the firing line I noticed Paul L. arrive. That was a pleasant surprise as I hadn’t seen him all year. He had helped me through my first match and it is always a pleasure to shoot with a rifleman of his caliber. We agreed to shoot together today. He had a new Rossi in .454 Casull he wanted to try out. 9.5 grains of Unique and a 350 grain gas checked bullet, seemed more like a stumpy 45-70 to me!! He didn’t have enough ammunition to shoot a complete match, but did some great spotting for me. He realized he didn’t have enough rear sight on the rifle to reach the long targets (turkeys and rams). But then that was what this shake down cruise was all about. I had plenty of ammunition and let him fill out his strings with my 32-40. He was pleased, and marveled at how flat shooting it was.

I was more than pleased. Started on the rams and went 7 for 10. Every hit resulted in a dead ram. The rest of the day went well.

A few observations from today: Shooting in big clunky paks provides a poor shooting surface. It’s like standing on an inner tube and trying to shoot. Most of my misses were a result of “rocking” back on my rear leg from this unstable position and over shooting the target. 7 degrees looks a lot better from in front of a wood stove. Persistence in load development can pay off.

I only got two pictures taken before the camera froze up and quit working!! Here they are. The “turkey and ram” crew holed up around my little heater. Those targets can be seen in the background. Notice the open lever on the rifle. The 1893 Marlin.

Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The December Tonasket Washington Cowboy Silhouette shoot

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the report, Dude. Hope everythings going good with you and Cleat. Sounds like you're getting that 32-40 to shooting pretty good. I'm ashamed to say I haven't done anymore shooting with my 45 since I shot with you last. Still need to get my settings down on that new tang sight and lots of practice. I don't envy you out shooting in that weather. One reason why I haven't to the range.
Old Law Dawg
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Was that lever froze open, or just open for safety? :D Looks way too cold for shooting, even with the clear blue Central Wa. skies! Get poor Cleat back home by the fire soon!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Get an old smudgepot from an orchard,put it 10ft. from where youre shooting and
light it up.They will put out a whole lot of BTU's.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there m.wun - We have enough trouble seeing those flat critters without a smoke screen!! Best regards. Wind