Christmas gifts...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Christmas gifts...

Post by Hobie »

Well, I didn't get any inappropriate gifts. My oldest got me wool socks (I LOVE wool socks) and my youngest made my favorite Korean style pork ribs dinner (to which she has turned many an in-law from turkey or ham). My wife got me a nifty Stanley branded flashlight with a tripod base. Never let a good gadget go to waste!

I did once get a lump of coal in my stocking. I suppose I killed the intended message when I said, "OH BOY! LET'S ADD IT TO THE FIRE!"

I have to admit, I got my guns and books myself... I just couldn't wait!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Christmas gifts...

Post by Rusty »

Merry Christmas to all.

Talk about shock and awe at our house. My wife got me a brand new 4" Ruger Redhawk.

I couldn't believe it. She's been reading some books of late by C.J. Box about a game warden named Joe Picket. I think one of the characters there inspired her. As I was opening the box she said, it's not a Cassaul but that was what they had. I'm not sure I would have gone shopping for one myself but after handling it, it really does feel good in the hand. Kind of like a Security Six on steroids.

I promise I'll try to learn to post pictures on this box it has beat me every other time.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Yep, I got socks, Gift Cards from Wal-Mart and Home Depot, a really neat wooden duck, etc. from the wife, relatives, and friends.

I bought myself a S&W Model 64 .38 S&W Special +P Revolver.
The .38 S&W Special is my favorite handgun cartridge.

Overall, a darn nice Christmas. Hope everyone had the same.
ED
Yer never too old
OK357
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OK357 »

I treated myself to a widescreen copy of True Grit, a six pack of Coors Light and a pizza. Even a guy with no family can enjoy Christmas if he does it right. :D
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Wool socks are the BEST! Glad you got some, Hobie. I didn't.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Hobie wrote:My oldest got me wool socks (I LOVE wool socks)
I love wool socks also. The first pair I had, my wife gathered them up with some other laundry, washed them hot, and dried them hot. They looked like doll clothes when she finished. After that, I washed them myself in either Woolite or Octagon.

The only gun "stuff" I got was from my son. He got me front and rear sights for my new Puma, which was an early Christmas present from me to me. My wife got me a new cell phone. My old one was 8 years old and kept turning itself off. It didn't bother me, but it did her.
Last edited by Chas. on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I got a Shop Vac, just what I was looking for. I always get little brass shavings all over the place when I trim brass. Now I can clean up my reloading bench with ease.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Yes, wool socks are nice and comfy and a shop vac is a good idea to keep the brass shavings out of them. One thing I learned early in life was never to clean stalls bedded in wood shavings while wearing oxfords and wool socks. :lol:

Well, Mrs. Wrangler and I didn't exchange gifts this year. Not because we're stingy or mad at each other, but because we just didn't need or want anything. We have reached the point in life where gadgets and "stuff" just isn't as attractive as it once was. The difficult part about Christmas is trying to avoid all those TV commercials hawking pretend happiness in a shrink-wrapped box. I cooked a nice prime rib roast with potatoes and onions around it for Christmas eve dinner. Then we watched the Midnight Mass from Saint Patrick's Cathedral. This morning Mrs. Wrangler watched her recorded Mass from Saint Peter's Basilica, while I slept late. We aren't Catholic, but nothing else portrays the meaning of Christmas better. There is nothing more powerful than the Latin Liturgy or Renaissance hymns and carols when they can be found. This morning I replaced the broken pearl snap on Mrs. Wrangler's night gown (good thing I have all those snaps for my western shirts) and she made me a fresh pot of coffee. Then came the phone calls to family and friends. That's what Christmas has become for us. It is enough to know that we are blessed in Christ and that our greatest gifts await.

May each of you receive blessings and peace profound in the coming days.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

We had a wonderful Christmas! My son loved his gifts, especially the Savage Mk.II 22LR given to him by "South Dakota Santa"! :wink:
Other big hits were the "Clone Commander Blaster" he's been wanting, a set of walkie talkies, and a canteen. Needless to say, he's pretty stoked about it!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

This was our last Christmas before our daughter becomes a Mrs. on Monday! :( The boys got Nerf Blasters, and the oldest one got a new air rifle/scope combo.

I got 500 .38 SWCs from Laser Cast for reloading, and some MTM cartridge boxes. Oh, a Gerber deer processing kit, and a John Wayne calendar.

Everybody had a good time this year; we were all thankful for that, considering how things were last year.

My wishes for a Merry and Blessed Christmas to all!
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I got some boots from Daughter. She is also taking me to Jazz Alley to a show of my choice. My Mom and Aunt sent some cash and Santa got me a couple nice guns: A Model 88 in .284 (needs cleaned up a little) and a Rossi SxS 20ga hammergun I have coming in from this board.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I wasn't going to get myself anything, but my Davidson's stock watch notification e-mail came in on December 23. I know better than to put off things like that, so I ordered it on the 24th, an H&R Superlight Youth in .243 (only 5 lbs, 4 oz).
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

christmas was a sad one in the txpete house this year.my mom went into hospice care on the 24th.

we did get the dogs some chewy toys.

pete
DAV life member.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I got one of the greatest gifts of all time this year.

My wife knows how bummed I've been over the failing health of our Lab.
Well she got together with a very talented and artistic friend of ours and
she did a pastel sketch of my Tasha!

It was completly unexpected and a wonderful job. I don't think I've
ever been so moved by a gift before.

Turns out that the whole family was in on it. Picking the right photo,
framing, etc.

I'm very luck to have such a wonderful famly!

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

My wife gave me a copy of Rennebergs "Winchester Model 94, a Century of Craftsmanship" and I also got some hand knitted wool socks :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I got the wife a new set of snow shoe bindings. The kids got me some sheepskin slippers and of course some gunbooks, ( which I ordered to made sure Santa got it right.) I spent most of the day putting together Legos with my son and stoking the fire, the weather wasn't very nice out.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Well I made out quite well this year. Santa got me a pair of insulated Carharrt gloves for winter barn work, 2 nice brushed cotton button up long sleeve shirts, Bushnell 1.5-4.5 x32 scope, and then of course my simply rugged holster for the S&W M60.

Ed that is great looking S&W. OK357 good movie choice the Mrs. and I watched McLintock.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

well.... i got a few pair of underware...
Canyon Guide outfitters insulated flannel shirt...
and a Chaps dress shirt....and a Dixie Outfitters Ford/Rebel T-shirt
and a great bonus and severance pay from work :roll: :x

I guess my new years resolution is to get a new job!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
OK357
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OK357 »

txpete wrote:christmas was a sad one in the txpete house this year.my mom went into hospice care on the 24th.

pete

Sorry to hear about your mom. Thoughts and prayers up for y'all.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

txpete wrote:christmas was a sad one in the txpete house this year.my mom went into hospice care on the 24th.
It seems lots of times the older people start to move on around this time of year. I guess I don't blame them, but it makes the rest of us have some holidays where the 'joy' morphs into more of a 'clinging' to our loved ones still around. That's part of the 'holiday' too, though; it's all about the cycle of life, the after-life, and celebrating the family you have. Prayers for your family.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I did better than I probably deserve. I also got a new vac, a Carhartt coat, Bass Pro gift card and one of my all time favorite candies, dark chocolate covered blueberries.
NRA Life Member
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

pete
God bless you and your mom. I'm praying for you.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

pete
Pete,

I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how it is. We've been spending a lot of time with my mother at the hospital lately. We'll keep your mother in our prayers.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

The only Christmas present to my wife and me was new bedding, as in flannel sheets, new blanket, and new quilt for the bed. I didn't wrap it, it went right on the bed a little early. A welcome addition to our kit.

My wife's 19 YO daughter has been staying with us since Wednesday and because of the blizzard, is still here. The weather isn't letting up so it looks like she will be here at least through today. The interstate is closed and all major roads are impassible, with no plowing happening yet. She's a joy to have here but I'm getting real tired of "chic flicks" :roll: . I have my brother and SiL similarly snowed in a few blocks away. May get out the scoop shovel and try to take the 4x4 up to their house later. It's tough being cooped up but all things considered we are safe, warm and that's pretty good.

Doesn't look like I'll be taking my wife out to try to fill her deer tag today either(season reopened for the next week, antlerless only). Maybe next weekend.

Sorry to here about your mother Pete, I went through something very similar about 10 years back and it's a tough road. My prayers for you and your family.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I never know what I want and often can't recall what I need because I'm caught up in everyone else's gift list. My family picks up on things throughout the year, so fortunately I end up with some much needed stuff every year. Every year I think of something after the fact that I would have liked - too late. Early this morning I thought "Why didn't I say I wanted the Firefly Wind Detector"? Just didn't think of it but maybe it will make the birthday list in July!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I didn't get much this year. I took all I had and bought gifts for the folks this year which was far better than getting anything myself. I bought my dad a Garand and cleaned it up nice for him and bought an opal necklace for my mom. I now have to drag out a case of lake city ammo from my stock to let him have some fun.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I got some nice gifts :) An e-trex gps to replace the ancient Garmen model that I had that no longer works and a speaker set with subwoofer for my computer :) Also got some nice clothes.

Best gift is having all of our kids together with us - and sharing Christmas with my wife's folks in Iowa - kids got to experience snow again ;)

Happy New Years all!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

morgan in nm wrote:I didn't get much this year. I took all I had and bought gifts for the folks this year which was far better than getting anything myself. I bought my dad a Garand and cleaned it up nice for him and bought an opal necklace for my mom. I now have to drag out a case of lake city ammo from my stock to let him have some fun.

Good on you Morgan!

There is a lot to be said for giving something that you know will be appreciated.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Senior Levergunner

Re: Dito - Already had Rooster Cogburn movie & . . .

Post by 2571 »

OK357 wrote:I treated myself to a widescreen copy of True Grit, a six pack of Coors Light and a pizza. Even a guy with no family can enjoy Christmas if he does it right. :D
. . . I went all out & had regular Coors. Urinate on that lite beer @ Christmas.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

got my grandson, age 6, the red ryder. maybe in a few years a henry .22 will follow, we had a great christmas!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I was very lucky. I received most everything to load black for my Shiloh. From a RCBS Chargemaster Comb, compression die, custom expander plug, etc.. Did I say I was very lucky.
Old Law Dawg
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Tuition for a general wood working class at the local college, a new Stihl MS361 w/20inch bar, a new carhartt vest and insualted pants, oh yeah...a S&W 396 Mountain lite in 44 special and a FNP 9mm pistol w/500 rounds of ammo.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Bought myself a 1959 M18 S&W.
Bought mom a SP101 in 327 Federal,
custom sights, elkhorn grip panels and
I did my first DA action job on a Ruger,
came out really sweet and mom really
liked it. Got a Cabela's Premium rifle
rest and a shotgun bandolier as gun
related gifts.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”