OT-Old posed tintype of cowboy want-to- be's.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Old posed tintype of cowboy want-to- be's.

Post by rangerider7 »

This is a good tintype of what the old studios had on hand for the customer to put on. If the photographer dressed them and put the revolvers and bowies in those holsters that way, he should have gave them their money back. The guy on the left didn't even finish buckling his cartridge belt. A bowie in a revolver holster I'm sure caused quite a stir if anyone from the West saw the tintype. I'm not sure what model of SA is in the holster of the dude on the left. It could be a Remington, but not sure. He also dressed them like twins, but it is interesting enough that I thought y'all might want to see it. :D

"That'll Be The Day"
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-Old posed tintype of cowboy want-to- be's.

Post by nemhed »

So was this something "easterners" did when visiting the wild west, or something folks did after moving west to show their relatives back east? There seems to have been plenty of photographers engaged in this type of business, have you found any history of the photographers or their studios?
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

They still do, ever been to Wall Drugs in the black Hills? They still take the same kind of photo's.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Photography studios must of had quite a bit of capital in their wardrobe. Just to outfit these two took some serious money for that time, any time actually. My shotguns cost me $450.00 alone and they look just about like the ones shown. Then add all the other ancillary components and that is a considerable investment. That's for the pic, RR7.
Old Law Dawg
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

nemhed, you are right in both cases. I learned most of what I know about photography from books and a photograph collector I know named Emory Cantey Jr. He wrote a chapter on photography in a book we were part of. Sometimes the persons themselves bought the items in the West and after the photo was taken took them back East with them. This is why many pickers and Old West collectors go to the East to hunt in old trunks for these old but mint condition items. Now that so many books are out about Old West items, not many are found at such a "STEAL". :D The photographers probably had a barter system going with the other businessmen of the town to supply them so well.

"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:lol:
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

huh!
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Both of "them cowboys" look like a couple of Dillweeds, especially with those bowies sticking up out of the holsters :lol: :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Well, I cant say too much as I once did it myself! It was back in rosenburg texas the same time Kennedy got shot. I had left wisconsin and went to texas working on a job contract in fall/winter of 1963. At the old fleabag hotel I was staying at, a old man photographer came and set up. I remember he hung white sheets up in a corner and talked me into poseing. I had my 1st cowboy hat and a "Mac Davis" style shirt, snaps etc on.
I still have the picture somewhere but ashamed to show it! I was a big fat dude kid!
While I dont have guts to show that one, here is another of my ex wife, me, and our daughter taken at one of those old timey tourist studios in virginnia city nevada about 28 years ago.