OT Eye candy for you muscle car guys!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

OT Eye candy for you muscle car guys!

Post by TedH »

The dealership I work for bought this fine old Mopar from a local gear head. The pics don't do it justice at all, it is immaculate. The under side is as shiny as the top. The engine was built by a local machinist for a contest Mopar put on to build the baddest naturally aspirated big block. I don't know the details or cubic inch limit, but it did win first place in the country, pumping out over 800 HP! Not too bad for 440ci.

It's going to the next Barret-Jackson Auction where they expect it to fetch $80,000-90,000!

NRA Life Member
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT Eye candy for you muscle car guys!

Post by gamekeeper »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

That is really nice. 440 I assume...

Our 18 yr old son spent the last couple of years putting this Lemans back together for his
first car. 389 4spd. These were part of his Senior Picture portfolio. He's pretty proud
of this car. I think he did a fine job of it. The original interior was creme color, but he redid
the whole thing in black (easier to keep clean you know :D )

Ed

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Reminds me of my teen age - hot rod years. 8)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

The 4spd option keeps other kids from "borrowing" or driving his car...that's why I like it... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ed
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

This is my baby, but with all the surgeries, titanium rods, bolts, pins, etc etc I haven't driven it in two years. both arms working again and I'm walking again so next year summer, zoom zoom..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Nice cars, boys. The new Chargers are tough but the oldies grab my soul. 1886.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

crs wrote:Reminds me of my teen age - hot rod years. 8)
Hey Charles, I didn't know you could hot rod a horse and buggy. :D
Last edited by RKrodle on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricky

DWWC
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Love it!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

David wrote:This is my baby, but with all the surgeries, titanium rods, bolts, pins, etc etc I haven't driven it in two years. both arms working again and I'm walking again so next year summer, zoom zoom..

Glad you are feeling more chipper. Not to highjack this thread, Cobra? I read that the originals could run from zero to 100m.p.h. to zero in 11 seconds.?? Could one more knowledgeable on these matters than myself comment on this. Thanks. 1886.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Kansas Ed wrote:That is really nice. 440 I assume...

Our 18 yr old son spent the last couple of years putting this Lemans back together for his
first car. 389 4spd. These were part of his Senior Picture portfolio. He's pretty proud
of this car. I think he did a fine job of it. The original interior was creme color, but he redid
the whole thing in black (easier to keep clean you know :D )

Ed

Looks alot like my first car; 1966 GTO, 4 speed, 389 tri-power, 3.55 limited slip differential (see my screen name). :mrgreen: Kudos to your son for preserving a neat old car and for not turning it into a GTO clone. I prefer an honest original car (well, the 389 was not offered in the '66 LeMans, but that doesn't change the appearance. The V8 for that year LeMans was a 326.)

Regarding the Dodge Challenger (Mopar or no car!), the agency I used to work for had a similar Cuda as an undercover car. That was a nasty handling car. Extremely nose heavy with wide rear tires is not a good combination in the rain. NOBODY wanted to drive that thing in the rain.

Now as a weekend toy, oh yes, I'll take it in a heartbeat. As fondly as I remember the muscle cars of my youth, I wouldn't want to have one as a daily driver today. The new muscle cars are more civilized and faster than the ones from back in the day.
Last edited by 66GTO on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

That is awesome, both the MOPAR, and Goat. I had a 65 Mustang Fastback with 289 Hi Performance engine and 4 speed trans. Was fun cruising with wife 2B but not a practical car for a single car family on a budget so sold her before I got married and bought a Datsun B210 the polar opposite but got a tad better mileage. :mrgreen: That was almost 30 years ago.
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

1886 wrote:
David wrote:This is my baby, but with all the surgeries, titanium rods, bolts, pins, etc etc I haven't driven it in two years. both arms working again and I'm walking again so next year summer, zoom zoom..

Glad you are feeling more chipper. Not to highjack this thread, Cobra? I read that the originals could run from zero to 100m.p.h. to zero in 11 seconds.?? Could one more knowledgeable on these matters than myself comment on this. Thanks. 1886.
Back in the day all of the car magazines carried an ad for the 427 Cobra touting its 0-100-0 time, but I recall it being in the 12's or low 13's. Not 11 seconds, but seriously quick. I have been searching the web for that ad, but haven't found it yet. The 427 A.C. Cobra held that record for a street car for many years.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Halfbreed: "so sold her before I got married and bought a Datsun B210 the polar opposite but got a tad better mileage."

I feel your pain!!!

I almost bought a Datsun B210 as my first new car back in 1981. Got the Toyota Tercel, instead... it was indestructible, but not what you'd call fun to drive!! :)

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

66GTO wrote:
1886 wrote:

Back in the day all of the car magazines carried an ad for the 427 Cobra touting its 0-100-0 time, but I recall it being in the 12's or low 13's. Not 11 seconds, but seriously quick. I have been searching the web for that ad, but haven't found it yet. The 427 A.C. Cobra held that record for a street car for many years.

Sorry for highjacking this thread.. I have read the 427 side oiler produced a factory rated 660 b.h.p. Again, any truth to these claims? Thanks, 1886.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Having this beast of a Challenger in the shop just brought back some good memories of my youth and the hot rod days. I had a '68 GTO that I painted and built a motor for. It wasn't terribly fast, would run high 12 second quarters, but it was a lot of fun. Like many of the guns that have slipped through my hands, I wish I still had that car.

Kansas Ed, that is a fine looking Pontiac your son has there. He, and you, should be right proud of that. 8)
NRA Life Member
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

TedH wrote:Having this beast of a Challenger in the shop just brought back some good memories of my youth and the hot rod days. I had a '68 GTO that I painted and built a motor for. It wasn't terribly fast, would run high 12 second quarters, but it was a lot of fun. Like many of the guns that have slipped through my hands, I wish I still had that car.

Kansas Ed, that is a fine looking Pontiac your son has there. He, and you, should be right proud of that. 8)
High 12s on the street is big time fast! 1886.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

In retrospect yes, it is. But it wasn't fast enough at the time to stay ahead a particular Mustang and one Corvette on the flats down by the Missouri River. :D

Reminds me of one night a large crowd of us young gear heads gathered down there along the river. Must have been a dozen cars wanting to race and 30 or 40 people standing along the road watching. It was a two lane blacktop several miles off the main highway that had a nice mile long straight stretch . I was lined up ready to go against a 74 Camaro when I see flashing lights in the rear view mirror. I looked over at the Camaro just as he decided to make a run for it. I sat there like a good boy and took my butt chewing from the Deputy Sheriff. :oops:
NRA Life Member
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

High 12's...I remember having a party to celebrate breaking 13.5 with a 57 Ford/61 390 engine running Bmodified (that was 62). I never got my 58 Ford 352 interceptor under 15. The first car I rode that would do the quarter under 13 was a highly modified 59 Corvette with a 283 bumped to 292 cubes, built by Jim Minnick's in Charleston. I rode in the old Knafel Pontiac 65 GTO which looked like the one pictured. Burgundy with black interior. I had a 64 ragtop for years, it had a 63 tri pwr & muncie part of the time. My most fun car was this 56 Chevy wagon. Owens Marine engine, Duntov cam, CI holly intake, 365 heads, Jardines, Muncie, Hurst, 3:70 gears, homegrown traction bars. Pic from 68.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Love the wagon FOF! Duntov cam...haven't thought about those in years....explain the 365 heads??? SBC...or???? Were the 365's the Powerpack heads??

Ed
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

1886 wrote: Sorry for highjacking this thread.. I have read the 427 side oiler produced a factory rated 660 b.h.p. Again, any truth to these claims? Thanks, 1886.

Again, my memory ain't what it used to be, but that wouldn't surprise me. Many of those monster muscle car engines were underrated to try and fool the insurance companies. They would rate a 427 cu. in. engine at say 425 h.p. at 4,300 rpm. What they didn't say was that at 7,000 rpm that engine made 575 h.p., as an example.

The 427 side oiler that Shelby used was basically a NASCAR engine so 660 h.p. on a dyno with open headers and no accessories to drive would be possible.

66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Kansas Ed wrote:Love the wagon FOF! Duntov cam...haven't thought about those in years....explain the 365 heads??? SBC...or???? Were the 365's the Powerpack heads??

Ed
A bit of trivia about the Duntov cam that will make it more "on topic" for Leverguns Forum. It was commonly known as the Duntov 30-30 cam because the valve lash was set at .030" on both the intake and exhaust valves.

I am sure all of you old hot roders remember that the Duntov cam was designed by Zora Arkus Duntov (the Father of the Corvette). The "Z" in Z28 Camaro was a reference to Zora Duntov. The Z28 Camaro was called that because the performance package that was added to the Camaro was option R.P.O. (Regular Production Order) Z28. And the original Z28 Camaro used the Duntov 30-30 solid lifter cam.

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

66GTO wrote:
1886 wrote: Sorry for highjacking this thread.. I have read the 427 side oiler produced a factory rated 660 b.h.p. Again, any truth to these claims? Thanks, 1886.

Again, my memory ain't what it used to be, but that wouldn't surprise me. Many of those monster muscle car engines were underrated to try and fool the insurance companies. They would rate a 427 cu. in. engine at say 425 h.p. at 4,300 rpm. What they didn't say was that at 7,000 rpm that engine made 575 h.p., as an example.

The 427 side oiler that Shelby used was basically a NASCAR engine so 660 h.p. on a dyno with open headers and no accessories to drive would be possible.

Yes, I have heard of similar reports to placate the ins. companies. I remember the factory rating of the 454 LS-6 motor of 450 h.p. HA! That was a very conservative rating, to be certain. Great discussion. Thanks, 1886.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

My teenage muscle car was a 1951 Willys Jeep. 4 cylinder flathead, 3-speed on the floor, 5:38 gears front and rear, 16 inch military "grave diggers" all around, a real stump puller. Would do 0-45 in about a minute and a half. If you could keep it from flipping over, it would darn near climb a vertical wall. Sorry no pics.
UNITE
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Mokaw, I still have the pics of my 51 CJ-3A, will post in a different thread.
Kansas Ed, the 365 heads were off the factory 365 hp 327 cu in. I can't remember the valve dimensions now, but they were larger than lower hp valves. Also the CI Holley intake was matched to those heads.
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

I think the 365 heads were the same as those on the 327/375 (fuelie) and the 327/350; 2.02 intake and 1.60exhaust. Screw in rocker arm studs for solid lifters instead of the pressed in for hydraulic lifters. The standard low HP heads were something like 1.94/1.54 (?).
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

From Shelby's Wildlife by Wyss. The competition Cobra put out 485 H.P. and 480 LB/ft at 3500 RPM. In another part of the book, 550 H.P. was a possibility with long life.
I owned an original 289. Those cars are approaching $600,000 today. I bought my '64 from Shelby's L.A. dealership in 1965 for $4500.00 used. Do I wish I still had it?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)

My first car was a '68 Mustang Mach 1. It was more bondo than steel, but man was it fast. It was the late 70's though, and the end of the oil embargo. Gas was $1.50+ a gallon, and I made $2.50/hour, and that Mach 1 got maybe, on a good day, 7 mpg. Ouch!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Knew I had one somewhere with a gun in the picture!
Still not a levergun a Model 12-F (Premier gold inlay) - yes a safe queen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

The horsepower wars have begun again, and it's just as interesting now as back in the late 60's early 70's! GM, Ford, and Mopar at it again.

Any one seen the new 2011 Z28? Look out GT-500!!!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

My parents gave me a minivan as my first car...

Their plan worked well. I was too embarrassed to drive it fast and draw attention to myself. Also, zero chance of any unexpected grandkids.