any knowledge of how.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
buxman66
Levergunner

any knowledge of how.....

Post by buxman66 »

to open up the lever on a win.'94......or is it better to replace w/ a medium opening lever? don't really care for the large levers (john wayne lever comes to mind) as they seem actually too large for any actual purpose other than to look "cool". jmo obviously. theres a couple used ones that would serve to be guinea pigs for a possible custom lever. any ideas,thoughts? i looked in the sticky's to see if there was anything on this but i seen nada.
badges?...badges? we don't need no steeekin' badges!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: any knowledge of how.....

Post by Rusty »

Are you wanting something just big enough for a gloved hand?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
buxman66
Levergunner

Post by buxman66 »

yup.got any ideas?
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

The first thing I would do is buy a replacement and work with that and stash the original! A good metal worker could cut and weld in extra metal and form it. When it is to your likeing get a gunsmith to reblue it.
buxman66
Levergunner

Post by buxman66 »

all the aftermarket parts guys only offer a larger loop for the marlin's......have'nt seen one for a win.94 except for some outrageous price for a some big hoops they took off a tribal elder in africa lookin things. just a medium loop just to get a gloved hand in there.drc's makes the exact one i want but i've only seen it for a marlin.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

here's one. hope you saved all your lunch money, though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =153363134
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

here's another, a little more reasonable.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =153164257
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

i think Wild West Guns sells just the medium loop lever you want.

let me suggest you check with them and then get some prices on having a regular loop cut, bent and an extension welded and reblued. it might be cheaper to buy one from Wild West than to have one built by a welder and gunsmith.

BTW, I share your opinion of the John Wayne loops.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

here is a picture of the Wild West Gun's lever on my WWG Co-Pilot

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I got a 92 (Rossi) trapper with more of the "Rifleman" (even larger, more circular) style loop, and swapped it over to a standard 20" 92 carbine because I just had to have one that looked just like Lucas McCain's (the loop did nothing for me on the shorter trapper). I do have to admit it was just for the cool factor and has limited--and probably hinders or slows normal--function...except it sure does accommodate a gloved hand and then some! The Wild West style referenced looks a bit more of the compromise you might be looking for. Though more of a fan of the Winchester-style guns, I think I do kinda like the function of the 'tweener loop lever on some Marlins for glove use. Otherwise, I think my smallish hand is probably one of the few that actually fits the standard lever, which hasn't changed since the 19th century that I know of.
buxman66
Levergunner

Post by buxman66 »

thanks for the replies and links guys! i like the one of rjohns but again,its for marlins only.i looked up the site of wild west guns and i found the same offerings....only for marlin's. the size i'm looking for is a medium loop and most of the ones i'm seeing,including the ones seen on gunbroker are of a large loop.i'll keep looking, but it seems the marlin owners have a corner on the aftermarket parts! :wink: thanks again.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I think I'd purchase the cheap one from Gunbroker and cut the loop down, reform to a smaller size and weld back together.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OK, how comes you didn't check Winchester's part number:

19 U342050450 FINGER LEVER WRANGLER LARGE LOOP $97.50
19 U342050530 FINGER LEVER XTR LARGE LOOP $59.75

If it's too big when you get it... it's far easier to cut down than to add metal. Don't know which of these were the larger loop... but, what the heck?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
buxman66
Levergunner

Post by buxman66 »

thanks for the info griff! :oops: just went to their website and downloaded a copy of the parts catalog as well as sent for a hard copy catalog. i had been on their site before but had not delved that deep into it. i emailed a servicing dealer here in ohio to see if he/she(!) can send me a pic of the 2 different part numbered levers.thanks again! :wink:
buxman66
Levergunner

Post by buxman66 »

well, that did'nt work as planned......sent out some emails to servicing dealers asking for a picture of the 2 part #'s and they basically kicked it back saying they could'nt provide pic's. i'm gonna try calling winchester's customer service line and see if the part #'s are in stock, if so,click a pic of it and email me.sounds simple, eh? yeah,we'll see! :roll:

update: just got off the phone w/winchester/browning parts dept. part #u342050450 is in stock and no you cant have a picture of it sent to you. 2nd part # is not in stock. so thats that, as they say!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Try leaving out one more finger in the factory loop...bet it works just fine without that "loose" feeling. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV