Leverguner 1000 Challange

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Leverguner 1000 Challange

Post by Old Ironsights »

My Range finally re-opened and I got out to start my LG1000C cycle.

First thing I had to do though was to file off .11x" off my WAAY too tall front sight and re-zero for 50yds.

OK. That done I proceeded to shoot 3rd strings, kneeling-unsupported (my fav field position), at my 9" plates at 50yds. Bleah. Inconsistant as hell... but still within about 6" per 3shot string.

Looky see all. First 3 plates (82,83,84) - 9 ea (1 miss). next 4, (85,86,87,88 ) 12 ea. (3 misses) Total of 75 rds, +10 zero group + 11 to file & zero + 4 offhand (see catsneeze plate) = 100rds.

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/M ... challange/

Finished off by testing my catsneeze loads at 25yds Offhand.

SWEET. Dead on using my OEM 158SJSP POA.

More bullets later...
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I'm going to have to get my hand in on this. i'll have to make some adjustments since a. I don't have a levergun handy and b. don't have a way to obtain 1,000 rounds of centerfire ammunition in less than five years anyway. So I guess I need to rig up the Crossman 1377 and have a go at it. Stopped by the sporting goods store, only colombian made pellets available in 4.5 mm (.177) - I'd be better off loading it with spit wads. Anyway, I'll use what I've got for right now and hopefully they'll bring back some decent Gamo ammo. Next step is to fix up the pellet trap.

Anyway, looks like you've got started quite well on this challenge. I look forward to seeing how you progress over the next few months.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

AmBraCol wrote:I don't have a levergun handy and b. don't have a way to obtain 1,000 rounds of centerfire ammunition in less than five years anyway.
By gum!!! Where do you live .... Antarctica? :shock:

Old Ironsights, I enjoyed your post and the photos.
big medicine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by big medicine »

Hey guys,
You should print off some targets for the Ranch Dog postal match and shoot at them. I'll bet you end up shooting more than 1000 rounds and it gets you ready for hunting season...plus there are some great prizes, the only cost is your ammo, paper to print the targets, and stamp to send them in. The prizes are drawn at random from the targets sent in, so if you have five holes in the paper you could win the big prize of a hog hunt at Ranch dogs ranch, not to mention the other great prizes. Check out the link and tell me why you wouldn't want some of that loot :wink: The open sight match is shot a 50 yards and the scoped match using a max of 4x is shot at 100 yards. The rules are pretty easy check them out on the links below.

http://shootersforum.com/forumdisplay.htm?f=72

http://gunloads.com/fam/ranchdogmolds/PM/

Might as well shoot and try for some loot :D

IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KIA 23 APR 2007, AGE 19,MUQUDADIYAH,IRAQ
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

KirkD wrote:
AmBraCol wrote:I don't have a levergun handy and b. don't have a way to obtain 1,000 rounds of centerfire ammunition in less than five years anyway.

South America. Weapons and ammunition are highly controlled, to say the least. LEGAL weapons and ammunition that is. It's amazing what folks can get on the blackmarket...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AmBraCol wrote:
KirkD wrote:

South America. Weapons and ammunition are highly controlled, to say the least. LEGAL weapons and ammunition that is. It's amazing what folks can get on the blackmarket...
What part of South America? We have an occasional poster from Brazil who has a .357 Rossi that he shoots .38s out of. Still kills a pig with the right load.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Old Ironsights wrote:
What part of South America? We have an occasional poster from Brazil who has a .357 Rossi that he shoots .38s out of. Still kills a pig with the right load.
In Brazil they sell the Rossi as a .38 spl - but many have been known to "fudge" a bit and ream it out to .357. I was raised down there and at one time or another handled all kinds of illegal weapons - in the hands of the monied elite. Shucks, I even saw a Ruger Security Six in .357 with a carry permit. Anything labled "Magnum" is prohibitted to the Brazilian civilian by the powers that be - so how he got that carry permit??? It pays to have political ties.

Anyway, right now I'm in Colombia. Long guns are difficult to obtain. Ammo is limitted to 100 rounds per six months per weapon.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AmBraCol wrote:Anyway, right now I'm in Colombia. Long guns are difficult to obtain. Ammo is limitted to 100 rounds per six months per weapon.
Can you aquire brass & reload?

If so, a Rossi in .45LC will serve you nicely.

I don't know what hoops you have to jump through to get the rifle, but with .45LC brass and primers you can make everything else you need... (.45LC & homemade Black Powder were made for each other...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Old Ironsights wrote:
AmBraCol wrote:Anyway, right now I'm in Colombia. Long guns are difficult to obtain. Ammo is limitted to 100 rounds per six months per weapon.
Can you aquire brass & reload?

If so, a Rossi in .45LC will serve you nicely.

I don't know what hoops you have to jump through to get the rifle, but with .45LC brass and primers you can make everything else you need... (.45LC & homemade Black Powder were made for each other...)

Weapons here in Colombia belong to the Government. Even my "personal" Llama in 38 spl is officially the Government's. They allow me the priviledge of carrying it - except when they decide that honest, law abiding people are more dangerous than criminals and then they publish a "no weapons are to be carried" decree, usually for a specific time period such as during the days running up to an election, etc.

We are limitted to what is already in the country or what the Army stores carry. And they only carry whatever the high up muckymucks in Bogotá decide that they will carry. Mostly it's Colombian made Llama revolvers in 38 spl and 32 swl, CZ select fire pistols (LOTS of hoops to jump through and a yearly hoop jumping to renew the permit), Walther PPKE's, Walther 99's, Turk pump shot guns, Baikal singleshot shot guns, CZ Scorpion select fire subguns (see note above on hoops) - that's all I've seen in the recent past at the local store. Another option is to purchase from an individual a weapon that is already in the national weapons registry. But to do so one must "justify" (provide a plausible reason for) the purchase.

As for ammo, they do not allow reloading on a general basis. I'm looking into the possibility of doing so legally, but it ain't easy since no one around here does so legally and therefore are ignorant of the laws that may allow such a process. I've got a few hundred cases saved up of 38 spl. But aquiring the primers necessary isn't easy, to say the least.

Another lovely quirk is that one is not allowed to carry any weapon larger than 9.65 mm for personal defense. I'm sure this weird caliber designation was put into law to allow the carry of the ubiquitous 38 spl. Some bureaucratic moron in his infinite wisdom did the math to convert .380" to mm coming up with 9.65 mm - never realizing that a 38 spl is actually only .357" or so and not .380" in bore diameter. At any rate, the laws be what they be and since I'm a guest here I abide by them. In my own country we have an ammendment in our constitution that guarantees that the right of the people to possess and carry weapons will not be infringed so I accept that at face value - even though certain states and localities pass regulations infringing upon that right. Things are different when one is a guest than they are when one lives within one's own native land.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: Leverguner 1000 Challange

Post by AmBraCol »

Just for grins I thought I'd bring back this "blast from the past"... :)

Any of y'all still workin' on the "Levergunner 1000 Challenge"? What kind of goals have you set for this year?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Leverguner 1000 Challange

Post by Blaine »

AmBraCol wrote:Just for grins I thought I'd bring back this "blast from the past"... :)

Any of y'all still workin' on the "Levergunner 1000 Challenge"? What kind of goals have you set for this year?
I'm hoping to afford 1000 rounds of anything besides .22 :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV