saddle ring

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

saddle ring

Post by two bit okie »

I am in the initial steps of fixing up my rossi mod 92. I have the the new wood, not done yet, the large loop lever, installed and working, next is to have the 20" tube shortened to 16 1/4", and I would like have a saddle ring put on, but do not know where to get the "stuff" required or even know what is involved. (drilling and tapping, or what ever). and I dont know where to get one.

Input requested. Thank you.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: saddle ring

Post by Gun Smith »

Complete saddle rings are available from several places. There are four different kinds though. The early ring stud has different threads than the later M. 94 ring studs. The early rings that are reproduction are not threaded all the way on the stud and are difficult to install unless you have thick metal where it is mounted. Original ring studs are threaded the entire length of the stud, and work much better. Thread size for original ring stud is 1/4-30 thread. The later M. 94's saddle ring stud has a smaller diameter thread. Most of the replica RINGS have a smaller wire diameter than the original (11/64"). E-bay, gun broker and several Winchester parts makers have both original and reproduction rings.
Just punch in "Winchester saddle rings" on your computer and get a whole list of suppliers.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

two bit okie wrote:I am in the initial steps of fixing up my rossi mod 92. I have the the new wood, not done yet, the large loop lever, installed and working, next is to have the 20" tube shortened to 16 1/4", and I would like have a saddle ring put on, but do not know where to get the "stuff" required or even know what is involved. (drilling and tapping, or what ever). and I dont know where to get one.

The Win Mdl 92s did not use a saddle ring with a threaded stud like the Win 94s did. The 92s, Win and Rossi, used a "U" shaped staple that went into two holes in the side of the receiver. The legs of the staple had reduced diameters where it passed through the side of the receiver, and on the inside they were staked outboard to hold the assemble in place.

Nate Kiowa Jones has some pics of this I believe.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BTW - Some very early Model 94's have been documented with a Model 92 type staple saddle ring base ILO the later singlr/threaded stud.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

IMO, the only reason to install a SLING RING is because you're gonna USE it... They have a tendency to get in the way, and to rattle, if they're not wrapped with leather, or some such, as in Steve's top photo.

Do they look "kool...?" Maybe, but they're mostly a PITA...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

+10 on what Buck said !! I don't think the "cool" factor is worth the pain. (But, then, we're all different, eh?)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Saddle rings and front sight hoods. Two of the most disliked lever gun parts.
I use my sight hood "if" I have the bead sight on it. If not it goes away.
I use my saddle ring to fill the hole in side of the receiver. Never had one in a scabbard or sling.

Those used on later Mdl 94s don't rattle that I can tell so they don't bother me much. However those on the 92s are flat out noisy. I hate those leather thong things so I'm not sure what I'd do.

But Buck is right, if you ain't gonna use it why bother? Unless the holes are already there ...... :wink:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Buck Elliott wrote:IMO, the only reason to install a SLING RING is because you're gonna USE it... They have a tendency to get in the way, and to rattle, if they're not wrapped with leather, or some such, as in Steve's top photo.

Buck, I think you and I are the only people left standing who call that unnecessary appendage by its proper nomenclature, i. e. SLING ring. Thanks!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

It's amazing how the gent asks where and how to do something he wants to do, and folks try to talk him out of it! Like someone saying they want a .357, period/no other context, and everyone chimes in how it should be a .45! I'm one of those (more of us out there than you think) that like the things, whether for the "cool" or originality factor (about 90% of the Win 92 and 94 carbines, not to mention 73 and 86), or whatever--and not a PITA to me. I'm assuming the OP feels the same way or wouldn't be asking!

Back to the OP, if you don't care about 100% 92 originality, the first or second type of 94 threaded style can be located so it looks virtually the same from a foot away, like the one poster's example. The later (2nd) 94 style that keeps the ring off the receiver sticks out a little more, profile wise, if that's a concern. Unless you are wanting to DIY, a competent smith is the way to go with either the original 92 staple type or 94 threaded style post. I had a LSI Puma done the latter way and using the more recent 94 type just because that's whast I had. I figured the gun already was buggered up with the dang safety, so what the heck - I'd go the "easy," threaded route. Great result. With a nice un-safetied Rossi, I might go the extramile to have the original staple style installed. Note, either DIY or gunsmith, work to have the saddle ring post (or definitely 92 staple) align perfectly longitudinally, -i.e. parallel with the barrel--for best aesthetic results.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I reckon you'd rather we keep our experience and opinions to ourselves...?!?

That would make this board pretty boring, wouldn't it.

He can do whatever he wants. I just gave him another view of the matter.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Nothing wrong with a gent expressing his experience. Many here benefit from the more learned/experienced among us. It is all good. 1886.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Buck Elliott wrote:I reckon you'd rather we keep our experience and opinions to ourselves...?!?

That would make this board pretty boring, wouldn't it.

He can do whatever he wants. I just gave him another view of the matter.
-----
You're absolutely right. The problem is, he didn't ask "what do you guys 'n gals think of saddle rings?" Again, if I asked "I'm gonna get a .357; what are some nice .357s of a certain type out there I should look at?" I wouldn't expect to hear a diatribe on how I shouldn't like .357s and should buy a .45 instead. Guess I'm missing something, but good day to you nevertheless.
Last edited by gak on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Well, I added one, it's not leather wrapped, and I like it. Have I tied it to my horse? No. Is it likely that I will in the future? No. Would I install another one on a carbine? Darned right I would. I like it, noise and all, all of your opinions notwithstanding.

BTW, I've found it to be a useful way to keep my carbine off of the shooting bench. Even though our benches have a covering, there always seems to be grit on top of the benches. I tilt the carbine and the ring swings out. Then I just rest it on the edge of the ring and my receiver is off of the table and away from the grit.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

not so bad if you have one of these.

http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

pokey wrote:not so bad if you have one of these.

I have many miles on mine. I like it enough I added a ring to my BLR.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I have a Uberti 73/44-40 SRC. I removed the SR, being a Lefty it was always getting in the way. In fact it is a PITA.
Now I get asked,"what are those two holes in the receiver" ?
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I get the gun and how it comes is how it stays. I learn to work with it which is part of the experience. If I go on a hunt that is important enough that I absolutely must have a certain feature (or not) I choose the gun which fits. Usually that required feature is limited to caliber. I get by ok. :wink:

I find how Winchester went from post to staple to post to attach the sling ring is interesting. I wonder how much the product engineering was affected by the economics of manufacture and why it changed.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

thanks for all feedback.

I can no longer get out and hunt, or even stand for the cas shooting. All I have left is having cool looking guns. I just watched the duke in stage coach, and the train robbers, and I still think his 92 is cool looking. What can I say???????
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Buck Elliott wrote:IMO, the only reason to install a SLING RING is because you're gonna USE it... They have a tendency to get in the way, and to rattle, if they're not wrapped with leather, or some such, as in Steve's top photo.

Well,... I just learned something new for today!!

i have had levers since my teens and never thought about it as a sling attachment! Now I have to figure out how to get one on my old Marlin 444!

Thanks for the eduKatshun!! :lol:
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

76/444 wrote:

Well,... I just learned something new for today!!

i have had levers since my teens and never thought about it as a sling attachment! Now I have to figure out how to get one on my old Marlin 444!

Thanks for the eduKatshun!! :lol:
For the Uberti SR, the staple is threaded on one leg. A nut is used on the inside frame for the attachment to the threaded leg. Easy on-easy off.

VTI may have replacements.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I can't believe the group memory is so short as to forget the Junior Doughty Saddle Ring Sling...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I guess its not going to happen but I would really like to see that gentleman back here. He has a lot of interesting ideas.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bruce Scott wrote:

I guess its not going to happen but I would really like to see that gentleman back here. He has a lot of interesting ideas.
I doubt if Junior will ever be back. His politics didn't agree with some of the louder and more outspoken members of the forum. He was attacked repeatedly because he was a democrat. There should be room for all political beliefs here, but it seems if you are anything but a republican you're not welcome.

Joe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Hobie wrote:I can't believe the group memory is so short as to forget the Junior Doughty Saddle Ring Sling...

I for one, miss ole' Junior. God bless him. 1886.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

two bit okie wrote:thanks for all feedback.

I can no longer get out and hunt, or even stand for the cas shooting. All I have left is having cool looking guns. I just watched the duke in stage coach, and the train robbers, and I still think his 92 is cool looking. What can I say???????

If you like them, that's enough reason.

I'm not a fan of the sling rings in general (I find them a bit noisy in the field), tho what I like isn't liked by everyone else either. I say get one. And do some shooting sitting down if you want to. A platform and rail to sit at, or a rail to stand behind and shoot would be simple to build. Light loads would still be fun to shoot, without too much wear and tear on your body.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

For still hunting deer ,Junior's sling is the cat's meow. I'm adding a saddle ring to another of my leverguns .

I do miss Junior !
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Here's a link to a picture of Calavry troopers wearing their carbine slings. No guns attached, but you can clearly see the slings and hooks. The original concept was for the gun to be attached to the trooper while mounted, and if he came off, the gun came with him. The carbine was used still attached to the sling.

http://www.frederic-remington.org/A-Cav ... lains.html

Winchester used the same nomenclature back in the day. It was a military item, with a specific use from back in the civil war period, perhaps earlier. I believe the addition of them on Winchester carbines was a holdover of Winchester's desire to secure military contracts for their guns. The term "saddle ring" came much later. It's interesting that many assume that they were intended to be used with a loop of leather cord though the ring and hung off the saddle horn, tho we have no contemporary accounts of them being used that way that I'm aware of, nor any pictures of their use in that fashion. There's a well circulated picture of a couple of 1886 rifles (not carbines, so no ring attached) hanging off the saddles of a couple horses. I believe this was a "field expedient" to leave the guns with the horses when no scabbards were available, as they also have sixguns hanging off the saddles also. My feeling is that it was quite likely a couple guys that came into a town that didnt allow carrying of arms, so they had to be left on the horses.

I know one guy that tried carrying a Winchester carbine with a loop hung over the horn. He dropped it on the trail, and didnt notice it for a couple miles. I think carrying a carbine by a Cavalry type (Junior style) sling is a more practical use than a loop over the saddle horn. As far as liking the rings because they are old time, that's OK too, just like carbine type buttstocks and early carbine sights. I perfer the earlier style stocks and sights on my guns whenever I have a choice.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Here is a pretty good illustration of trooper unsaddled.
mounted
but this doesn't show the little "boot" really just a leather ring attached to the saddle into which the trooper thrust the barrel of the carbine and which prevented the carbine from flying about when the horse was moving.

The NWMP didn't use the ring but carried the rifles across the saddle like this:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

two bit okie wrote:thanks for all feedback.

two bit okie,

This is for you:

If you want the bigger size, then click here:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/John_Wa ... ch_Big.jpg

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
monkey
Levergunner

Post by monkey »

two bit okie wrote:I am in the initial steps of fixing up my rossi mod 92. I have the the new wood, not done yet, the large loop lever, installed and working, next is to have the 20" tube shortened to 16 1/4", and I would like have a saddle ring put on, but do not know where to get the "stuff" required or even know what is involved. (drilling and tapping, or what ever). and I dont know where to get one.

:shock: I just brought home my new Rossi model 92 and was thinking the same thing!! Plase let me know if you figure out a good idea/source, etc...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Junior's article gives sources... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie