OT -- mr. 'Erb and the Chickensnake

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

OT -- mr. 'Erb and the Chickensnake

Post by Doc Hudson »

Mr. ‘Erb and the Chicken Snake

This one also first appeared in my column at www.earp.com back in the late 1990's. This is another true story and the names are not even changed to protect anyone.

Growing up in rural south Alabama, I was exposed to a number of colorful characters, known locally as "downright curious." One of the more eccentric of the bunch was "Mr. Erb" Pittman.
Among his eccentricities, "Mr. Erb" would start to wear "longhandles" (Being a good Southerner, he would never refer to them as union suits lest he be mistaken for a Yankee) at the same time every year regardless of the weather and stop wearing them at the same time, again regardless of the weather. These stubborn habits not only lead to considerable sweating and shivering, but it was a contributing factor to Mr. Erb's adventure with the chicken snake.
Now I know that some misguided people, mostly city people with no first hand experience with wild snakes, say that snakes are more beneficial than harmful and the poor misnamed chicken snake is a much-maligned innocent. Well this is the story of one chicken snake that caused the death of thirty-two chickens in one night.
The night in question was an early autumn Saturday night some thirty odd years ago. It was a warm fall that year, but Mr. Erb had already broken out the longhandles. About 2:00 a.m., a commotion in the Pittman henhouse awoke "Mr. Erb" and his wife. Since he was already in his longhandles and unwilling that a chicken thief escape, Mr. Erb simply slipped into a pair of brogans, grabbed a flashlight and his old L.C. Smith double-barreled 12 gauge and went to investigate.
Unnoticed in his haste, the rear flap of Mr. Erb's longhandles had come unbuttoned. Also unnoticed was Ol' Belle, Mr. Erb's prized bluetick hound dog, who had become interested in the night's activity. When he reached the hen house, Mr. Erb quickly opened the door. With the flashlight and the forearm of the shotgun in one hand, and the other on the triggers, Mr. Erb searched the hen house for signs of intruders. Meanwhile, Old Belle approached unnoticed. Since Mr. Erb was paying her no attention, she decided to give him a friendly little sniff.
As Ol' Belle's cold, cold nose contacted his butt, Mr. Erb's fingers involuntarily contracted, setting off both barrels of his shotgun and killing thirty-two chickens. I suppose that it is a sign of Mr. Erb's single-mindedness, but he spotted that Chicken snake and killed it with a hoe.
The following afternoon, my parents and I visited "MR. Erb's" daughter, who was my Mom's best friend, and Mr. Erb's next-door neighbor. We found the entire Pittman family plucking and dressing chickens. We were quickly drafted to join the fun.
I know that a child's eyes have a way of making things larger than life, but that chicken snake seemed to be the longest that I've ever seen. Every time someone talks about the harmlessness of snakes, I remember that chicken snake, and Mr. Erb Pittman's encounter.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT -- mr. 'Erb and the Chickensnake

Post by Alan Wood »

Man I can see that happening!

:lol:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

:shock: :o :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I love it!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Very good story and most believable !! Have you ever been "goosed" by a dog's cold nose?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Batman1939 wrote:Very good story and most believable !! Have you ever been "goosed" by a dog's cold nose?
Yes. Just finished a shower and was on knees cleaning the tub... :o :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol: :lol:

Best get the dogs claws clipped just in case :lol:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can see it as plain as day! I read that a number of years ago but it's still just as good.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Batman1939 wrote:Very good story and most believable !! Have you ever been "goosed" by a dog's cold nose?

Yes I have.

i was drying after a shower and almost jumped across he tub and through the bathroom window.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

YUP...THAR'S NOTHIN' LIKE A BIG OL' GOOSE TO REMIND YOU THAT YOU DON'T HAVE EYES PLASTERED ON YER BUTT. :shock:

THIS IS FUNNIER THAN AUNT MINNIES KNICKERS GETTIN' CAUGHT IN THE WASHER RINGER. :mrgreen:

LB
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great Story, I think I will post it at the range on why you keep your finger off the trigger.
It is not the critic who counts