Latest Addition to the Stable

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Latest Addition to the Stable

Post by stew71 »

I picked up this sweet Browning A-5 12 gauge on Tuesday. I found it a couple of weeks ago resting in the rack of my favorite gunshop and it was just calling to me. It was 1 of about 5 or 6 lovely A-5's that were picked up from various local estate sales. The few Belgian-made models were not in as good of shape as this Japanese model and judging by the condition of the wood and bluing, it never spent much time in the field nor on the range. At $425, I couldn't pass up the chance to scratch one of my long-standing itches.

It came with only a skeet choke tube, so after scouring a few local shops, I found a couple of Invector tubes, 1 IC and 1 full choke. After a thorough cleaning and double-checking the position of the friction ring, she was good-to-go for our club trap shoot on Thursday at the local club. At the end of the day, this sweetheart helped me take 1st place with only 3 missed clays.

I think I'm hooked. :lol:

Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Latest Addition to the Stable

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congratulation! 8) I've also decided that someday one of those will need to come home with me. Did they make them in 16 gauge? I might be able to scratch two itches in one stroke! :wink:
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I don't know if they are still made in 16 gauge, but the Browning Sweet Sixteen was a real Classic Shotgun.

FWIW, the Browning A-5 is one of only two semi-automatic shotguns that have ever interested me in the least bit.

Good Deal Stew!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice looking shotgun. My Dad has a Belgian made one, and an Uncle used to have one of the lightweight Sweet Sixteen variants. They are a great gun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Very nice! I have actually been considering picking one up. I prefer wood and steel to platic and alloys!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

yup they made the auto-5 in a sixteen guage, actually 2 different 16 ga 1 was made on the regular weight frame and then they made the sweet sixteen, I have 8 different auto-5s and if I could only keep 1 it would be the sweet sixteen, it swings the best of all the auto-5s even out does the 20 ga. they also made slug barrels for all the different ga, if you lucky youll find the sweet sixteen with a ventalated barrel, now your talkin pure pleasure. good luck
james
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Congrats!. I have a few memories of those Brownings... my step Grandad hunting with one as did a Great Uncle.

My Uncle may be the only person to ever wear a A5 out. He hung his up about 1980 and put 20 years on a Franchi before he passed.

Ed was the only person I've ever know to bend the barrel on a Browing. He had about $500, 1970's- era bucks tied up in buying and training a quail dog. The dog would break point and bust birds WAY to often. Ed finaly had enough. He cracked the pointer over the head with his Browning... the dog was driven to his elbows and let out a great howl. You could see the curve of the dog's head bent into the barrel.

The dog lived and became a very productive pointer after that.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

It's been a loooong day...

Either that, or there have been too many "off topic" posts lately (which I have possibly contributed to...)

But I was expecting to see a HORSE ! ! ! :o

Nice piece!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

So Stew not to steal the thread but wich is your favorite gun shop?

Living in Sacramento I would like to broaden my range to something more than J&G, wildsports, and Sportsmans Warehouse.
Alan Wood
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Hillbilly wrote: Ed was the only person I've ever know to bend the barrel on a Browing. He had about $500, 1970's- era bucks tied up in buying and training a quail dog. The dog would break point and bust birds WAY to often. Ed finaly had enough. He cracked the pointer over the head with his Browning... the dog was driven to his elbows and let out a great howl. You could see the curve of the dog's head bent into the barrel.
I really shouldn't find that all that funny but I almost had to clean peanut butter Cap'n Crunch off my computer while reading it because I can see my maternal Grandfather doing the same thing. :lol:

Once while we were dove hunting he wanted me to go get a knothead pointer of his that had run off. He was so mad at the dog he called me by my Dad's name, an Uncle's name, one of my cousin's names and the name of the dog he was hacked at. :lol: I finally reminded him what my name was and he said "Yeah, go get that -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- dog!" :lol:

He was a WWII Navy man and still has the vocabulary and temper to match... :lol:

And to keep it on topic, he had a Sweet Sixteen that belonged to his brother (my Great Uncle). I never got to fire it and I imagine it went back to my Great Uncle's family when my Great Uncle passed.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

What always makes that story for me... Uncle Ed was kind like a real world Andy Taylor. I dont think he had a cross word ever pass his lips and was always good to his kids and dogs.

I guess those Brownings touched a lot of folks my age. I never owned one yet... but then I favor the Remington 11 through 11-87 series shotguns.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Hillbilly wrote:... but then I favor the Remington 11 through 11-87 series shotguns.
Funny thing...when I was browsing the shop, all of the Rem 11's were in the "Under $200" rack and really showed their age and some serious use. I mean they were really rough...operable...but rough. Like they spent a lot of time in the muck and mud of a local duck blind or truck bed. But the Brownies were all spic-n-span, pretty, shiny, and in the "high-dollar" rack with the Italian and Japanese OU's.

If I had the rack space and funds, I'd still consider one of those beater Remington 11's for a kick-around truck or boat gun...
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's nice, Stew - and no disrespect meant - but I (for one) come here to talk leverguns, and would appreciate a sorta "headsup" by non-levergun subjects getting an "OT" heading in the post subject line.

Thanks, in advance, for any consideration you may give this suggestion.