Way O.T. subject: Salt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Way O.T. subject: Salt

Post by Cliff »

Okay I am bored and this has been tickling in my mind. How much common salt is a good amount to keep on hand for emergency use. I was thinking about it as it is so easy to pick up a pound to store at most food stores. But with problems similar to Hati and other areas I figure Salt would be nice to have for food preservation and so on. Some areas it is readily available other places it can be precious stuff. It comes in many forms and packaging options so it shouldn't be a problem if someone wanted to keep some stored away. Of course the Feds are complaining about everyone eating too much. Just curious if anyone has ever thought this through. Have a good day or evening. ATB
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Way O.T. subject: Salt

Post by Streetstar »

Sure, if you are a prepper, i guess it does not hurt to keep 10 lbs or so stashed away. It doesnt go bad. The only thing i can think of is for jerky though (massive quantities of salt --- or salt curing a ham --- whether the ham comes from a pig, a deer, or wherever) Seems like a Costco or Sams Club sized container - the ones they sell that are intended for restaurant use --- would last most families a long long time
----- Doug
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Smaller packages make for easy trading unless you're will to trade by the tablespoon...

I have lived where people bought cigarettes one at a time and so forth. Being set up for that might be a good idea.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

My pool chlorinator uses salt that's dissolved in the water to produce chlorine for the pool. Oddly, I find myself with never less than 50lbs of the stuff in the pool closet. I get the Morton's brand food grade at the pool store. I should be all set. :wink: I go through about 150lbs a year in the pool.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

If you are trying to prepare for preserving all the meat in your freezer in the event of an extended power outage, two or threee 50-pound bags would not be an unreasonable amount to have on hand.

Oddly enough, my Mom and I were discussing this possibility just a few days ago.

With Hobie's trade good thought in mind having a case or two of one-pound boxes would not be a bad idea.

Currently and in the past,I try to keep at leaast one 3-pound box of kosher salt in the pantry plus two or three one-pound boxes of regular table salt.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

The only place I know where cigarrettes are sold individually is prison. You do time Hobie? :shock: :lol:

Don
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nazgul wrote:The only place I know where cigarrettes are sold individually is prison. You do time Hobie? :shock: :lol:

Don
I guess you haven't "been around". When I was younger and overseas this was often done in poor neighborhoods. I had never seen it in the US. Later though, I saw it done in Little Rock and Washington D.C. I have been told there were stores in Richmond that sold the cigarettes individually as well but haven't witnessed it.

When my dad was in Germany in 1950-52 there was still a strong trading economy in existence due to the devastation following WWII.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Hobie wrote:
Nazgul wrote:The only place I know where cigarrettes are sold individually is prison. You do time Hobie? :shock: :lol:

Don
I guess you haven't "been around". When I was younger and overseas this was often done in poor neighborhoods. I had never seen it in the US. Later though, I saw it done in Little Rock and Washington D.C. I have been told there were stores in Richmond that sold the cigarettes individually as well but haven't witnessed it.

When my dad was in Germany in 1950-52 there was still a strong trading economy in existence due to the devastation following WWII.
When I was stationed in Germany in 1980's - 1990, bartering with cigarettes and booze was very common. Weren't supposed to do it because we didn't pay taxes on the cigarettes or booze, but saved a bunch on rent!!

We didn't trade one cigarette, but by the pack.

Steve
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

How do you use salt to preserve food?

What does salt have to do with making jerky?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Don

Thats called a "Loosie" --- a loose ciggie for a quarter or so. I have seen it done that way in gas stations too. Mostly the gas stations that resemble a Middle Eastern bazaar or flea market inside
----- Doug
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Malamute wrote:How do you use salt to preserve food?

What does salt have to do with making jerky?

What does salt have to do with making jerky? i was wondereing that myself. The only salt in my jerky is in the Worcestershire Sauce I enerally use.

up until the invention of mechanical refrigeration meats were preserved in one off three ways, Smoking, Drying, or Salting.

Packing meat in Salt draws out the moisture content of the meat and acts as both an anti-bacterial agent and as a preservative.
I'm no expert in the salting of meat so I suggest you do a Google search to get details. All I can say for certain is that Salted meat will last a long time.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

as bad as table salt is in the modern diet... we won't live long without it.

All mammals need a little salt in the diet.

Salt used to be traded as cash... In a subsistence-barter economy salt would be worth it's weight in "gold" as the saying goes.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hillbilly wrote:Salt used to be traded as cash... In a subsistence-barter economy salt would be worth it's weight in "gold" as the saying goes.
he's right! Roman Soldiers were often paid in salt rather than gold, whence originates the word "salary" from the Latin SALARIUM.

In a number of cultures salt was at one time routinely traded weight for weight for gold.

IMO, Salt might not have the same value as gold, but it is a derned sight more useful. You can't eat gold, and gold won't prevent your mea from spoiling.

Image Image
UNITE!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:My pool chlorinator uses salt that's dissolved in the water to produce chlorine for the pool. Oddly, I find myself with never less than 50lbs of the stuff in the pool closet. I get the Morton's brand food grade at the pool store. I should be all set. :wink: I go through about 150lbs a year in the pool.
SO ALL OF THAT JUST TO WASH YOUR POOL TABLE ??? WHODA THUNK IT !!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Terry Murbach wrote:
Rimfire McNutjob wrote:My pool chlorinator uses salt that's dissolved in the water to produce chlorine for the pool. Oddly, I find myself with never less than 50lbs of the stuff in the pool closet. I get the Morton's brand food grade at the pool store. I should be all set. :wink: I go through about 150lbs a year in the pool.
SO ALL OF THAT JUST TO WASH YOUR POOL TABLE ??? WHODA THUNK IT !!!
Not a lot of over-sized bathtubs in South Dakota I take it. Thankfully my kids aren't up on this forum or I'd probably have a hundred pounds of the stuff all over my pool table by now ... just so they could see what it looked like.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

According to the LDS food storage calculator, 5# per person per year is what you need. Extra for barter. Store in plastic or glass, the paper boxes will absorb water, swell and sweat.

http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don
Some of the convenience/gas stores around here sell them singly as well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cessnapilot
Levergunner

Post by cessnapilot »

Don
I work in the Detroit area, around there most of the small stores sell individual cigarettes. I see it all the time.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It may help in areas of higher humidity. I've made plain, simple, old fashioned jerky just by cutting the meat into thin strips and hanging it over baling string I strung up or whatever was handy to hang it on. This was in Az. No salt needed, it dried hard as can be in a couple days.

5 pounds of salt a year? I think I use about 1 shaker a year at home.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Malamute wrote: 5 pounds of salt a year? I think I use about 1 shaker a year at home.
We get salt from everything we consume in today's world. In a situation where we are not eating store bought food, we'll use more than we do now. Maybe 5#.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Every fall I put up a 5 gal. bucket of salt fish.

Layer of salt, layer of fillets, layer of salt, stop about 3 inches from the top, to make room for the brine that will form.

When I want some to eat I soak them for eight hrs in fresh water and change the water once. Then fry, bake, or boil, good stuff.

Have fun
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Let'me see....go through around 1000# a year in the water "softner", 30# minimum for the family eating ('course that depends on how much "old" fashion popcorn we make), a couple of hundred pounds for melting the ice off the drive, and another 50 or so pounds for smok'n fish or critters. That would be:

a little under 1250 #'s or 5-30 gallon drums of it.