OT-Proper terminology

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Proper terminology

Post by Otto »

I reference the thread discussing new/old/big/little/original/plain Vaqueros, and submit the following for discussion:

".30-30"

"gunpowder"

"bullet/cartridge/shell"

"pistol/revolver"

"Colt .45"

"caliber/chambering"

"gas/fuel"

"motor/engine"

"Soldier" as opposed to "Sailor", "Marine", "Servicemember", etc.

Feel free to submit your own.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT-Proper terminology

Post by J Miller »

Oh hell, why not?

Magazine/clip

J :roll: e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

J Miller wrote:Oh hell, why not?

Magazine/clip

J :roll: e
Man, I can't believe I forgot that one!
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

OK ?? :?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Personally, I don't see what all the noise is about. If you know what a person is talking about, who cares if it's "proper"?
NRA Life Member
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:OK ?? :?
Well, I have noticed that the issue of improper or disputed terminology comes up from time to time in different threads, so I thought it might be interesting to start a list of such. I guess not. Oh well.
TedH wrote:Personally, I don't see what all the noise is about. If you know what a person is talking about, who cares if it's "proper"?
I both agree and disagree. I frequently use the wrong terminology, and my given audience usually understands what I mean. There is a point, though, at which language becomes useless if each individual essentially creates his own dictionary.

I wasn't trying to stir up anything, I just thought it might be an interesting topic of conversation.

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

recoil/kick
checked/checkering
sawed off/ sawn off
Last edited by Ben_Rumson on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

TedH wrote: I frequently use the wrong terminology, and my given audience usually understands what I mean.
i do it on purpose sometimes, just to see if "my audience" is paying attention. :twisted:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What it says on the gun is correct.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

What about going to the other extreme. For example, one of our police firearms instructors used terms such as "now you deploy your artificial illumination device" instead of "grab your flashlight". He also talked this way in normal conversation, believe or not. Kevin
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I can let a lot of things pass, but when I hear or see someone refer to bullets as "tips" or "bullet tips" it's like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

"Got any tips for the 30-30?"

"Yes, buy one, either Marlin or Winchester, and use the 170 grain loading for best effect."

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Muzzle / Crown.
That one gets to me all the time.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

.....it has a "hexagon" barrel. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, I speak or spoke a couple of different languages. I've worked with many English as second language speakers. I'm pretty tolerant of jargon drift. However, I attempt to use the correct terminology. I imagine that when I go to the doctor, auto-mechanic, tailor, or government office ( :roll: ) I'm going to get their terminology/jargon wrong but I expect that they'll help me. I do try to pay attention and learn as I go and self-correct.

There are some folks who can't wait to correct others. Some of those people are less than tactful. Then on the other side are some who will always take offense at being corrected and will act as if you've accused their mother of participating in some back-alley profession.

Pronouncing some of these words, many of them NOT of English origin is quite fun, too. Makarov, Sako, and so forth are often mis-pronounced. Some gun writers periodically get a pay-check by writing about this.

However, I have to admit that JDAD is right, hexagon barrel is one of my pet peeves.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Noah Zark wrote:I can let a lot of things pass, but when I hear or see someone refer to bullets as "tips" or "bullet tips" it's like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

"Got any tips for the 30-30?"

"Yes, buy one, either Marlin or Winchester, and use the 170 grain loading for best effect."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mags/clips gets me. Especially "banana clips".

More of a spelling issue but another that grinds on me is muzzle break or muzzel break. It's muzzle brake! If your muzzle breaks you've got some serious issues. If your muzzel breaks, well I don't know what that means but it don't sound good! :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

OK ,I will go along with ya. Bullets not HEADS !! :D
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Then you can get into regional diolec. Such as hillside versus sidehill.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Cases/casings? Not really sure about this one but I always thought casings holds sausage, and cases hold powder & boolits.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

handloading / reloading
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

TedH wrote:Personally, I don't see what all the noise is about. If you know what a person is talking about, who cares if it's "proper"?
Same here. As long as I can understand the meaning, I'm OK with it. This is after all America or it was the last time I checked.

When I find unintelligible gibberish, I ignore it.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

Varmints/varmits

plinking/plunking

grip stocks handle panels slabs :lol:

and one I see misused the most...

Quite used for Quiet :)
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

In general agreement about letting most slide. Unintentionally bad grammar or spelling is tedious, hear vs here, sed vs said, than vs then, etc., especially when the rest of the gent's/gal's sentense (:-)) proves they should have known!

Here's another one, caliber vs cartridge (when the "other" is the proper for the context)... not so much irritating but technically incorrect--most responders are gentle enough on these folks, but some get carried away. But, I've done this sort of thing before as most of us have, so there's a bit of ...glass houses.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Some folks have a knack for language and spelling, others don't...Some of the ones that aren't good at spelling and care about it, have learned to use spell check. I kinda enjoy the folks that don't use spell check, from the standpoint of enjoying their creativity at making a word or just plain old hammering the language.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Antoine de Saint Exupéry said that "Words are the source of all misunderstandings."

I like to be correct. Like the man said, it's not a clip, it's a magazine. There's a big difference and no, I'm not being anal about it. When someone uses the wrong term (especially if I think they know the difference) I get confused. Does that rifle function with a clip rather than a magazine?

See, there's a lot about A LOT that I don't know, so using incorrect terminology can be very confusing to me. I compare what I hear to what know and if the two conflict, well that makes me conflicted.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

pharmseller wrote:Does that rifle function with a clip rather than a magazine?
It does if it's an M1 Garand! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at