OT-Comanche Moon-1st episode

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

OT-Comanche Moon-1st episode

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Did anyone watch this tonight? I thought it was pretty good and I was pleasantly surprised with how well Steve Zandt did as Augustus.
rroberts
Levergunner

Post by rroberts »

His mannerisms were much closer to Robert Duvall than the other guy was to Tommy Lee Jones. I enjoyed it, but it got a bit slow at times. Looking forward to the big raid Tuesday night.
... Rusty
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Both actors did a good job I thought...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Watching because I know three of the stunt people. Two have parts.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I enjoyed it. :)

Filmed most of it her in New Mexico. :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Steve even had the hand gestures down pat.I god Woodrow .Never woulda figures that . :)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

yep, so far its been pretty good....
Character who plays gus is pretty good too!
Jake Spoon ......boy oh boy....all he did in this 1st episode was
........well you know...
But too many comercials
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Really enjoyed it!
Just recently watched Lonesome Dove again so that was fresh in my mind and I thought both of the actors did a great job and at times would have sworn they were Duvall and Jones :!: :!:
Looking forward to part 2.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Fell asleep last night before it started. Early to bed, early to rise...
Anyway, recorded it and watched it this morning at about 5. I really enjoyed it and from what I remember of the book, which I read 5 or so years ago, it seemed to follow pretty well.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Only saw it in bits and pieces because of my little ones, but appreciated the way the actors stayed true to Gus and Call's personalities. Hard to watch after reading the book with it's gruesome descriptions of torture. If you ever want a little glimpse into what hell must be like, read the book. :o :shock:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Senior Levergunner

I guess I'm an outcast

Post by 2571 »

I like Wes Studi so I wathched the whole program.. He did ok but is getting older.

Program sucked. Couldn't hold a candle to the Rbt. Duval pics.

My .02
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Overall it was ok but the acting was terrible. The idiot in the hanging, log, basket is way over-acting.

The story is fine. It just begs better actors but that's the price you pay with the current networks cutting cost everywhere. Get cheap actors, save money, produce mediocre movies.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Overall, it was passable. The scenery and action scenes were well done and nearly as beautiful as TX is. (Filmed in NM it lacks a certain visual... something.) However, some of the dialog and delivery thereof, flat sucked. But, then I could say the same for the dialog in the book, it's saving grace was that in my delivery when reading, it was salvaged by grand style.

But, I'm forcing myself to look forward to the next two installments. Hopefully, they filmed it in scene order and the acting improves. (Not likely, but one must have hope!) And I'm recording it. Maybe without commerical interruptions it will flow better.

Just my 2¢, YMMV.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I'm just simply not impressed and I'm not sure if I'll watch the remaining 2 episodes. Script, acting :? and no levers :( . Yes, I realize it's set in 1858.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Captain Skull is played by Val Kilmer. I couldn't believe how much weight he's carrying. His acting was a little over the top I thought. But I remember him best as Wyatt Earp. The two actors playing the Duval and Jones parts were OK, but no way close in acting skills to them. Because so many characters have to be developed in the first broadcast of a series it often slows the pace. I hope we do better Tuesday in the action department. The firearms of the period were correctly portrayed, even to the flntlocks used in the opening scenes, but the cap lock rifles looked a little too nice for daily carry guns in the later scenes. We are in 1858 now so we should not see any M.73's until later. The cap and ball pistols were correct, a nice touch, no Colt SAA's to be seen. The pistol Mrs. Skull used was plated, I thought a bit of a stretch historically. I haven't seen her since the old HBO series Six Feet Under. But shooting indians off running horses at 50-75 yards was a little bit of Hollywood. I think the gun fight in Open Range will set the standard for realism for a long time.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Wow! Apparently my sense of cinema is not as finely cultured as most. I was just happy they put a western on TV instead of another episode of "Dancing with the has-beens" or "Degenerate Housewives". :?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

OK story, but messed up by WAY TOO MANY COMMERCIALS. 5 minutes of BS every 15 minutes. Give me a break! I won't be watching the rest of the series. :x
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Pay attention tonight to the buttplate on Cap'n Call's rifle and tell me if you think it has a white plastic spacer against the wood... :shock:

I doubt there would have been many 1858 pistols on the frontier in 1858. Most likely, everyone who had a sidearm would have been carrying a Paterson, Dragoon or an 1851 if they could get one.

IIRC, Gus had a Walker in the first one but I can't remember if that was what the younger McCrae had last night when he was busting bottles.

It was a little slow but I liked it - I just think they could have gotten someone more sinister to play Blue Duck since he was such a really BAD guy in the original.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

BLEH! :P

Lousy acting. Bad directing.

Kilmer was an awesome Doc Holliday, but terrible in this film.

My apologies to those who enjoyed it.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I don't have cable and only get the broad cast stuff in my area. that channel is the one network I don't get. I guess I'll wait till it comes out on DVD. Maybe by then I'll read all his books in the right order. That usually makes it better anyway.

Happy Trails and God Bless,
Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Yeah, I was glad to see River getting more work. I see Mal's back in an upcoming movie too.
winter1857
Levergunner

Post by winter1857 »

I thought it was great. I'm not going to be hyper-critical about it because I enjoy the books so much.

I thought Steve Zahn did a very good job following Duvall's interpretation of Gus's mannerisms and patterns of speech.

However, I was more impressed with the young woman that played Clara. (I could look up her name but I'd lose my train of thought.) I thought she was excellent in the way she picked up the way Angelica Houston portrayed Clara.
Like bees, we must put our lives into the sting we give.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm waiing for it to come out on video, so I can watch it without commercials.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree with SmokeEater ! Just gld to see new westerns on TV. :wink:
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Modoc ED wrote: The idiot in the hanging, log, basket is way over-acting.
Actually, those scenes were quite true to the book. Possibly a silly premise, but that was the authors fault. Instead of only a couple minutes, in the book the cage and pit spanned several chapters.

Not defending the movie, really it was terrible, but the worst thing about the acting was having seen "Lonesome Dove" first. thos just doesn't stack up.