OT- Reloading lube.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

OT- Reloading lube.

Post by Gun Smith »

Interesting article in this mornings paper. Those of you who live in cold climates know about BAG BALM for your chapped skin. It was originally developed to medicate cows teats on dairy farms. It seems that a few people are using it to lube brass for resizing. Anyone here tried that?
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Reloading lube.

Post by mikld »

Been using it for years (I was a mechanic), on my hands that is. It would prolly work good in a mix for boolit lube, but I think it's pretty expensive for that, but as a case lube sure it works.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Been around bag balm all my life, but never thought of it for anything with guns. To taccy for a decent case lube, and not taccy enough for a bullet lube.
Works great for healing all sorts of sores tho...
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I use a similar stuff called Udderly Smooth - I dip the bullets into it before loading them into my Snider rifles. Does a great job in keeping the fouling soft but it's too thin to use as a normal bullet lube.
http://www.udderlysmooth.co.uk/
When we lived in the US my wife used to ship tubs of it back home for her friends but now it is available in the UK.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Wow I never thought of that one. Good tip that is thanks!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Another good case lube is the easily-available and economical Johnson's Paste Wax.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Isn't bag balm based on petroleum jelly?

I use either water based RCBS or Remington (Imperial) Die Sizing Wax - both last for a long long time, so I've never seen a reason to try anything else/cheaper.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Isn't bag balm based on petroleum jelly?
Bag Balm is Lanolin based. The major component of many older, and probably current, case sizing and bullet forming lubes is Anhydrous Lanolin.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Pisgah wrote:Another good case lube is the easily-available and economical Johnson's Paste Wax.

I have used Kiwi neutral shoe polish a few times. It seemed to work okay. I have alot of black left over, but of course, it is black...

The reason I tried it is I couldn't locate my case lube.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence