OT- .45LC/.410

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- .45LC/.410

Post by Andrew »

Now, to start, I have never owned either cartride.

I have however read a bit about the two on this big ol' web and the kind of gun you get when you put them together. And today while at work the question cropped up in my head, "Why?".

I just don't get why someone would comprimise on a gun that, from what I have read/seen(not experienced), has a "whole" that is less than the sum of the "parts".

I am not saying that there is no "why", just that I haven't found it yet. Any thoughts form you guys?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I reckon if you mean that 410/.45 sixgun,that is a pure waste of material as far as I can see.I have a Colt SAA.45 and I make my own shot shells for it to use around the water for cottonmouths.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

In response to the 45/410 revolver, I thinks it's an attempt to make a legal and somewhat servicable shotgun pistol. If it were smooth bore, it would be a fine weapon (maybe) but we can't do that*. So, this is the next best thing.

* see paradox rifling, which is what Taurus should have done with the Judge, which would not be hard for the hobby gunsmith to accomplish with a minimum of tools.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

JerryB wrote:I reckon if you mean that 410/.45 sixgun...
Yeah, that's what was on my mind.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My breakopen one was a disappointment in that the 45 LC rounds have so much 'jump' to get to the rifling that I get 8" 5-shot groups at 25 yards OFF THE BENCH! I think I can throw rocks about that well.

I've thought about reloading metal .410 shells or even just trying .454 Casull rounds in it, but for now, just use it (or NOT) as a .410 shotgun, for which purpose it is a nice gun (if I had much use for a .410).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Shooting shot in a rifled barrel isn't very satisfactory because the shot is dispersed by the twist. It will work at short ranges. And a smooth bore pistol could be treated by the ATF as a sawed off shotgun, USE CAUTION. But, I wonder if you rifled a pistol STRAIGHT would it be legal? It would then shot shot shells great.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thompson Center did just that, rifling their .45Colt/.410s with a straight rifled choke section. Works. I know of folks who go quail and pheasant hunting with theirs. Not for me though...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson