OT - Aerial Photos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - Aerial Photos

Post by cnjarvis »

I don't recall exactly how I came across the idea the other day but if you google your state's GIS (geographical information system) you might turn up fairly recent aerial photos of your hunting area.

I found that Oklahoma has a really good resource that is downloadable that's better and more recent than google earth for my hunting area. I will say that the file is HUGE at 685 MB for one county and that I had to download a free viewer but it's nice to have the info.

Here's one of mine.
Linville.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Aerial Photos

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Bing maps are pretty good too....they also allow you to "fly" around and look at the map.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v ... 62.6842358

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Try down loading GoogleEarth, it's free. I use it all the time at home and work. It even has 3d capability.

Edit: I reread your post and noticed you already mentioned google earth, sorry!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

In my area Google Earth is pretty good. They have us mapped to the street level. You can even see the cars in the parking lot, read the license plates if so inclined. Google's software will run on most computers. That is NOT the case with some software like ArcGIS Explorer(a very good free program but you need a really good computer to run it).

Since I'm the guy that does most of the GIS for my county, I have access to some pretty good maps, including 1 meter resolution aerials. They are not available online, from us anyway.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Google earth is great in most cases but where I hunt, the image is crystal clear on one side of the highway and clear as mud on the other. Guess which side of the highway I need to see? :?