Held my first 99!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Held my first 99!

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Was fixing a light a a local gun shop yesterday and asked if he had any bolt guns available in .257 Bob or .250 Savage. The owner informed me that the only thing he had was a 99 in the .250. But this was no ordinary 99. This was a factory engraved nickle receiver, pre-tang safety, not drilled for scope, redfeild peep installed Savage 99 in 95% plus condition. It was down right beautiful. Price was $1750. He's selling it for an estate.

He also had another 99 in a .375(?) that had the tang safety, fold down rear sight (like the 10/22) and was drilled for scope.

What I was surprised in was how much better the Savage 99's looked and felt in person. I had always considered them kinda an ugly duck but both of these looked and felt great. To tell the truth, I didn't need another gun to like!!!

LK
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Held my first 99!

Post by Terry Murbach »

HA !!! THAT WAS SOME WAKE-UP CALL HUH ?!! THE TIME TO HESITATE IS THROUGH, NO TIME TO WALLOW IN THE MIRE....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Is this a sign of the "End Times":
Terry Murbach wrote:THE TIME TO HESITATE IS THROUGH, NO TIME TO WALLOW IN THE MIRE...
Terry quoting a "Doors" song?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That .375 is a treasure! Heck, the .250-3000 is one, too!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I've been wanting a 99 lately. Mine will have to be more in the $400-$600 range, though. They both sound like nice rifles!
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yeah, I dismissed the 99 for ages because I had read it has a dreaded, overly long action..10&1/2" compared to 8" of a Mauser BA when considered from lever tip to the barrel shoulder of the receiver... But that all went poof when I shouldered a 99 and cycled it..Love my 20" 300 Sav. Carbine. Funny how no one complains about the safteys on them.. be it thumb or lever types..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

There will be 7 or 8 99s selling a auction Feb 28th in Larned Ks. 22 HighPower, 250-3000, 300, and 303 Savage. carrauction.com Go to calender and click on the 28th.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

You're done for now. :D Once you hold one, you want to shoot one, once you shoot one you want one. Might as well quit all the steps and buy one that fits your needs and price. Then you can look around for your second one. :D
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
.45_Rich
Levergunner

Post by .45_Rich »

I can personally attest to the "fever" mentioned above, as I am currently affected by it. Hopefully I will be the new owner of a 99 in .300 sav, .308 or .243 soon, or whenever I get permission from the Boss (read as wife).
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Once you've felt the Savage touch......further resistance is futile.

:wink:
Hecter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hecter »

If anyone can handle an early Savage 99 Model F or H and not find it a joy to shoot ........then call me and I'll work out some kind of deal with ya!!!!!!!!!!!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

nemhed wrote:Is this a sign of the "End Times":
Terry Murbach wrote:THE TIME TO HESITATE IS THROUGH, NO TIME TO WALLOW IN THE MIRE...
Terry quoting a "Doors" song?
what's wrong with the doors? way 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :P