OT:Enfield Fans! 44 mag conversion:?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

OT:Enfield Fans! 44 mag conversion:?

Post by nemhed »

Let me pose this as a theoretical exercise, since we all seem to be going a little stir crazy this winter. I’ve got a No.4 Mk 1 Enfield with a worn out barrel and head space issues. I’ve toyed with a lot of options for this rifle. It was made in 1947 at Fazarkerly, but is a hodge-podge of parts with crossed out and remarked numbers, so I don’t consider it historically very significant. I’ve seen a variety of conversion done to Enfields including 45-70, 45acp, 7.62x39, 223, 35-303, among others. My thoughts have wandered even further. In Indiana, we can use handgun caliber cartridges for deer hunting. So, I'm thinking, what is there to stop me from converting this rifle to .44 magnum? There is enough “meat” to rebore the barrel to .429 and a 44 mag reamer should take care of the remains of the 303 chamber. Everything else is just a technicality. The Enfield bolt head should handle the 44 case with no problems. So, I would appreciate everyone’s input even if it is to tell me (constructively)that I’m an idiot. For now I have a Win 94 to put new wood on and a Rem. Model 580 I want to convert to 17 HMR. Thanks!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT:Enfield Fans! 44 mag conversion:?

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been wanting to do just that for years.
Problem is I can't find anyone to do it.

I have a No1. MKIII barreled action that's set up as a single shot
and have wanted to have it rearreled to a .41 or .44 mag.
Thought it would make a killer varmint / fun gun.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I don't know if it's actually available now but Rhineland Arms made a .45ACP conversion kit for the Enfield as well as some Mausers.

They went under but I understand someone else has taken over most of their product line. The website has shown the Enfield kits as being available late DEC09 but I do not know if they are actually back in production.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What I would be curious about is how you'd alter the magazine to work with the shorter cartridge.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

J Miller wrote:What I would be curious about is how you'd alter the magazine to work with the shorter cartridge.

Joe
I can think of a couple of ways. The .45 conversion uses a 1911 mag inserted into a modified SMLE mag. A .44 conversion could use a Desert Eagle mag the same way (the only semi-auto .44 handgun I can think of offhand). I'll find the link and try to get some pics.

EDIT: OK, these are the old instructions. The mag starts at step 3. http://www.troupsystems.com/Enfield/enfieldinstruc.htm

It could be done as a single shot and the empties dropped into a SMLE mag with the follower and spring removed similar to the way the .22 conversions were done.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

On the #4 rifle head space issues can be taken care of by changing bolt heads.
Bolts ordinarily have the serial number etched because they were fitted by the armorer.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Some of the bolt heads are pretty hard to find...

I suggest the .375 2½ Nitro Express.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie, how about the 6,838 foot-pound 358 BOS Magnum...this guy makes them on the Enfield action:

The .358 BOS Magnum: http://www.magrifles.com/technical.php
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,

That .375 2½ looks like a fire formed .303 Brit case. If so that would be a relatively easy conversion.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I tried to do some research on the .375-2 1/2 and couldn't find much information, looks like it would make a fantastic "varmint" round I found a little more info on the 35-303, which seems to be a more common Enfield conversion. Reloading dies for these "oddballs" would probably run pretty high. That .358 BOS Magnum is built on an 1917 Enfield, definitely a different animal. The pressure curve for that cartridge looks like it would blow a No. 4 apart. Ultimately, for me to justify the money spent on this project, I would like to be able to deer hunt with it here in Indiana. The max case length we can legally use in a rifle is 1.625". I already have a 44 mag rifle and handload for it, so this, of course, is about wants and desires, not needs. All the other conversions I've seen look like they would be great fun though!
There are a couple of other things I like about going 44 mag. The cases stack very neatly in the rear of the standard magazine and will feed pretty good in the action due to the similarity in case head dimensions. So, coming up with a working magazine shouldn't be insurmountable. I also won't need to alter the bolt head to handle 44 cases.
As a side note, Special Interest Arms is selling the 45acp conversions kits; http://www.specialinterestarms.com/index.php
These look like a lot of fun, just not something I would spend my money on. Seeing how they did the magazine conversion did make me think of using a Desert Eagle 44 mag magazine.
I love Lee-Enfields, and wish I could afford a half dozen of them. I really like the idea an Enfield in a more "modern" cartridge like the 223, 7.62x39, or 308, even though the action isn't the strongest in the world. For those of you interested in such things, check out http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/
I guess I will continue to dream and scheme.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Just a suggestion. For those interested I've got some info on the cartridge around here (on the computer) somewhere and I'll have to make up an article. Varmint? What's up with that assessment? :lol: As to "magnum", I'm not hot on "magnum" rifle cartridges. I do love the Enfield action. Mr. Lee had it right!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Holy Cow, I know I've led a sheltered life but the 358 BOS?? no thank You.
Bullet: 225 Nosler BT Powder: RL-25 Charge: 126 Velocity: 3700 Pressure: 65,000 psi
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Hobie wrote:Varmint? What's up with that assessment? :lol:
I forgot the little laughing emoticon, but it all depends on your definition of "varmint". :wink: :lol:
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Hobie wrote:I do love the Enfield action. Mr. Lee had it right!
I can't even say what it is exactly that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when I look at and pick up a Lee Enfield. Mausers and Springfields don't do that for me.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

444 Marlin not only works but you don't even have to change the magazine, just bend the lips a little.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

KCSO wrote:444 Marlin not only works but you don't even have to change the magazine, just bend the lips a little.
Yeah, I thought of that too, and that would probably be the most logical choice for a big bore Enfield. Dies would be cheap, components for reloading readily available. I have a Marlin in 45-70 that doesn't see much use, so the same thing would happen with a .444
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.444 isn't legal for deer here in Indiana, but .357 Maximum is...

Consider that cartridge, if you want a deer getter, and the .44 Mag doesn't work out.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.45colt wrote:Holy Cow, I know I've led a sheltered life but the 358 BOS?? no thank You.
Bullet: 225 Nosler BT Powder: RL-25 Charge: 126 Velocity: 3700 Pressure: 65,000 psi
It definitely isn't your typical straight-wall pistol round, or even straight-wall long-action levergun round. However, it fills the same sort of ultra-long-range niche as the popular 7mm Remington Magnum, yet delivers a bit heavier bullet. There isn't much other than the .50 BMG-type rounds that deliver serious-caliber bullets past 500 yards with a still-reasonably-flat trajectory (having to know 675 yards vs. 680 yards for range sort of makes for an impractical situation).

revolvergeek
Levergunner

Post by revolvergeek »

As much as I like the looks of that .375 2½ Nitro Express round, I can't help but thing that a .44 mag conversion, even if it was just a single shot, would be a lot of fun and very versatile.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

awp101 wrote:
J Miller wrote:What I would be curious about is how you'd alter the magazine to work with the shorter cartridge.

Joe
I can think of a couple of ways. The .45 conversion uses a 1911 mag inserted into a modified SMLE mag. A .44 conversion could use a Desert Eagle mag the same way (the only semi-auto .44 handgun I can think of offhand). I'll find the link and try to get some pics.

EDIT: OK, these are the old instructions. The mag starts at step 3. http://www.troupsystems.com/Enfield/enfieldinstruc.htm

It could be done as a single shot and the empties dropped into a SMLE mag with the follower and spring removed similar to the way the .22 conversions were done.
The No.7 Mk1 trainer, based on the No.4 rifle, was a magazine fed .22. There are pics and info on the modifications made to the .303 magazine here: http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle_No.7.html
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bruce Scott wrote:
awp101 wrote:

Joe

The No.7 Mk1 trainer, based on the No.4 rifle, was a magazine fed .22. There are pics and info on the modifications made to the .303 magazine here: http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle_No.7.html

Here's one for ya!

Will shoot 1" @ 100 yds.
One of 2500 contracted for the Royal Aus. Air Force.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

All I can say is that the world turns smoother, life runs better, the more .44's there are in the world!! :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson