OT- Taos Indians gathering old photo.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Taos Indians gathering old photo.

Post by rangerider7 »

"That'll Be The Day"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT- Taos Indians gathering old photo.

Post by gamekeeper »

Quite a gathering, I'd love to know what's going on.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

game keeper wrote:Quite a gathering, I'd love to know what's going on.
+1 looks interesting :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

rangerider7,

Any guess as to the date?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Times must be better today. All the indians in my area go at least three spins on the scale! I cant see a fat one on that picture!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

You ARE kidding,..... RIGHT?

FAT native North Americans, are the result of alcoholism, and eating white man's processed foods. Resulting in the same poor health condition that is spreading across this nation as we write! Not what I would call "better" in any way shape of form!

Oh yah,... GREAT pic Ranger,... a far cry from the Taos Plaza I have been to so many times,... just a couple decades ago.
Last edited by 76/444 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

No, why should I be kidding? Just fact. I am huge myself! I live at cedar city utah. You can go to walmart any day of the week here and see what I am telling. No insult meant. It`s just what it is. You would be very hard pressed to find one skinny one out of 10. I dont know why, but these piutes also have huge heads. Does drinking cause that? Also the majority wear glass`s. Probley bad diet.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I would say late 1880s-1890s.
"That'll Be The Day"
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

OK,...I got ya, I think,... just one last question for clarification and then I'll slip away,... if you don't mind?

So am I correct in understanding you? You are stating that being fat is a sign of "better" times?
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I think he means "better" as in more plentiful, don't have to work as hard to get food, don't have to worry about when your next meal is going to be, etc.

You do see more large indians these days, and it is because of poor eating habits, alcoholism, and the same other things that make white people, black people, and people of any other race fat. It is a shame, though. You hardly ever see a fat indian in old photos like that, and now they're everywhere. Then again, so are fat white people, and you don't see as many of those in old photos either.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I been gone a couple hours. Walmart and ate at denneys. At denneys quite a number came in. I was laughing as I was reminded of this thread. The wife put me on the spot, shes good at that! We were surrounded by a small tribe of them. She asked me what I was laughing at. I didnt want to get scalped and made something up! Anyway there were some there that went about 4 spins, and heads about the size of a bushel basket! Short legs, and glass`s. There was one well built young girl.
Lest you think me prejuice, here is a shot of me. Also a current picture of us. My wife claims to be part indian. It is the diet and easy liveing now days. When I was young I knew nothing but the hardest bull work, then I was a guard for the next 35 years. Somewhere I also read the average japanese is something like 8"s taller than before world war two, and I read that a long time ago!

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I'm not mistaken, most cultures considered being rotund a sign that he was wealthy and doing well. Seems like most women were heavy back in the day, as well.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What would a gathering like this most likely been for?
Or, was this just rush hour traffic on main street?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If you look clear at the top......many are seated and in the middle is a fella at a podium speaking, I believe.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Dedicateing a new wing to the local tradeing post? Probley a pow wow, really.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Rangerider you come up with some of the coolest pictures. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool. Would like to know what the occasion was. For that many to show up at that date, it wasn't just because.
Old Law Dawg
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

As always, very cool! 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Looks like something from the Stone Age days.

Oh, who knows if fat or skinny is "better", but......we all are living longer. :wink: ---------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Great pic rangerider, thanks.
76/444 wrote:You ARE kidding,..... RIGHT?

FAT native North Americans, are the result of alcoholism, and eating white man's processed foods. Resulting in the same poor health condition that is spreading across this nation as we write! Not what I would call "better" in any way shape of form!
I think somebody need to switch to decaf.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

a little too crowded for my liking.

cool pic tho.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

shooter wrote:I think he means "better" as in more plentiful, don't have to work as hard to get food, don't have to worry about when your next meal is going to be, etc.

You do see more large indians these days, and it is because of poor eating habits, alcoholism, and the same other things that make white people, black people, and people of any other race fat. It is a shame, though. You hardly ever see a fat indian in old photos like that, and now they're everywhere. Then again, so are fat white people, and you don't see as many of those in old photos either.
Yes, it does mean better times. The majority of people in the WORLD are going to be generally indisposed to being able to easily store excess nutrients due to natural selection as proscribed by Darwin. It is what allowed mankind to survive over the lean times. Therefore, the majority of people will gain weight when eating even just enough to overcome hunger pangs without subsequent additional physical exertion. Those lucky enough to have metabolism that equates to being un-naturally skinny would have died off back in the feast or famine days.

As previously stated, in a lot if indigeous societies even today, being rotund is a sign of being healthy. All the "hot" babes of those societies want your babies cause the ability to retain energy is a good thing! Heck even in "western" society right up to 1900 or so, did you ever see pictures of a "skinny" king? In the medieval times, the aristrocracy that ate mostly meat and gorged themselves with constant feasts out lived their "serfs" by more than 2 to 1 in age even though the "serfs" ate what we generally today consider "good" food (veggies and such) along with continual exercise. The average serf who survived adolescence had a life span of around 35 years whereas the rotund noble that survived adolescence averaged a life span of 70 years...look it up, that's a fact. That being said, I do like my women a bit more athletic... :wink:

I mean, think about it, Henry the VIII was fairly rotund and he outlived seven of his wives.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

There was a Medical Study done several years back, of obesity in one of the South West Tribes....Navajo I think. The conclusion was, that the digestive system of the Native peoples were extremely efficient at extracting every available calorie from the historically lean diet available to their old lifestyle.

With the calorie rich diet available in the 20th century and beyond; their systems still operate as in the past...with obesity the result.

The results of past evolution right before our very eyes, or the symptoms of it...depending on your point of view.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Come on you guys,
it is Tribal Council
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Honest.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Mescalero1, Just what all did they do, or what happened at those tribal councils? I been to a pow wow or two, anything similar? Or was it more govermental?
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

76/444 wrote:You ARE kidding,..... RIGHT?

Oh yah,... GREAT pic Ranger,... a far cry from the Taos Plaza I have been to so many times,... just a couple decades ago.
Thank you 76/441. I'm an American Indian and I apreciate your courtesy.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I think that has been turned into a 4-star HOTEL now.... With more folks than that crowded inside...

No horse parking either...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

An annual event
more often, if something came up that required communal debate & consent.