OT: Wouldn't it be fun to find one of these?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

OT: Wouldn't it be fun to find one of these?

Post by Old Ironsights »

WW II Russian tank with German markings uncovered after 62 years. WW II Buffs will find this interesting. Even after 62 years (and a little tinkering), they were able to fire up the diesel engine!

A Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer pulled the abandoned tank from its tomb under the boggy bank of a lake near Johvi, Estonia. The Soviet-built T34/76A tank had been resting at the bottom of the lake for 56 years. According to its specifications, it's a 27-ton machine with a top speed of 53km/hr.

From February to September 1944, heavy battles were fought in the narrow, 50 km-wide, Narva front in the northeastern part of Estonia . Over 100,000 men

were killed and 300,000 men were wounded there. During battles in the summer of 1944, the tank was captured from the Soviet army and used by the German army. (This is the reason that there are German markings painted on the tank's exterior.) On 19th September, 1944, German troops began an organized retreat along the Narva front. It is suspected that the tank was then purposefully driven into the lake to conceal it when its captors left the area.

At that time, a local boy walking by the lake, Kurtna Matasjarv, noticed tank tracks leading into the lake but not coming out anywhere. For two months he saw air bubbles emerging from the lake. This gave him reason to believe that there must be an armored vehicle at the lake's bottom. A few years ago, he told the story to the leader of the local war history club 'Otsing'. Together with other club members, Mr. Igor Shedunov initiated diving expeditions to the bottom of the lake about a year ago. At the depth of 7 metres they discovered the tank resting under a 3 metre layer of peat.

Enthusiasts from the club, under Mr Shedunov's leadership, decided to pull the tank out. In September of 2000 they turned to Mr. Aleksander Borovkovthe, manager of the Narva open pit company AS Eesti Polevkivi, to rent the company's Komatsu D375A-2 bulldozer. (Currently used at the pit, the Komatsu dozer was manufactured in 1995, and has recorded 19,000 operating hours without major repairs.)

The pulling operation began at 09:00 and was concluded at 15:00, with several technical breaks. The weight of the tank, combined with the travel incline, made for a pulling operation that required significant muscle. The D375A-2 handled the operation with power and style. The weight of the fully-armed tank was around 30 tons, so the active force required to retrieve it was similar. A main requirement for the 68-ton dozer was to have enough weight to prevent slippage while moving up the hill.

After the tank surfaced, it turned out to be a "trophy tank" that had been captured by the German army in the course of the battle at Sinimaed (Blue Hills) about six weeks before it was sunk in the lake. Altogether, 116 shells were found on board. Remarkably, the tank was in good condition, with NO RUST, and alll systems (except the engine) in working condition. This is a very rare machine, especially considering that it fought both on the Russian and the German sides. Plans are underway to fully restore the tank. It will be displayed at a war history museum in the Gorodenko village on the left bank of the River Narv.

Preparing to pull it out.
People from the nearby village come to watch.
Komatsu D375A-2 is ready to go.
Here it comes...
Through the muddy bank of the lake
In mint condition.
Hosing off 62 years worth of "muck."
Incredibly, after a few minor repairs, they were able to start its diesel engine.

8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Re: OT: Wouldn't it be fun to find one of these?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I remember when that e-mail first came out. Very cool! 8)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

verrrryyy interesting..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

And it started! WOW!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

That is so cool. Thanks O.I.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

WOW!! Thanks for posting this, hard to beleve it started that easy.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

How freakin' cool is that!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Russian equipment ain't pretty but they work! I have to hand it to them they know how to build function.

8)
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I'd give a medal to whomever climbed into it to clean it out...must've been sweet smelling! Kinda cool though!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Way cool :)
I wounder if there's still a round in the chamber.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Back in the 70s when I lived in california I had a buddy actively looking to find one that he hoped General Patton had buried in the mohave dessert on training. He had me fly him low and slow looking for small spots of vegatation unlike the surrounding area. He theorised that the buried tank would hold water above it allowing plant growth. Well, we had fun flying one day trying out his theory. He did show me one spot he suspected from a ground trip. I looked around and seen a road that was abanded about a quarter mile away, looked like some developer was going to sell land and it fell through. I surprised him and said lets land and check it out! I landed on the road. That probley was dumb, but we never did see anybody else. We walked over but had no probe or detecter. Who knows? There was a tank found in the area a few years earlier he claimed. He even was working on a recovery trailer etc. I guess his idea eventualy phissed out. Still, it was fun looking!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Where ever there is a old military installation there are always rumors about finding stuff the military left behind. Where I grew up east of Ft.Myers, Fla. there is an area known as Buckingham. During WWII it was the home of the Buckingham Army Air Base. the runways are still there and in active use by the county for their Mosquito control operation. When I lived there they had several DC-3's, some small Bell helicoptors from the Korean War era and some newer Hueys. There was a place in the area we used to call artillery hill because it was the only thing like a hill in that whole area. We used to try and climb it with dirt bikes and 4WD vehicles. It also served as a good backstop for our target practice. I have dug .50 cal AP rounds out of it so it must have been used for something like that by the army but we never knew exactly what they did there.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

LOL...Any country that has a city named "Tankograd" prolly knows how to turn out a decent tank...
BUT, back in 1994 to commemorate the coming 50 year anniversary of WWII.. The Brits retrieved a Sherman from the sea at a place named Slapton Sands, where a training tragedy took place that claimed almost as many casualties as D Day did, which was subsequently covered up ... Anyway TV news was showing a dozer on the beach winching in through the surf the said Sherman... I was totally blown away when the tank cleared the waves, to notice the tracks, sprockets and bogies were turning!!! This is after being in salt water for nigh on 50 years!!!!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

That's just cool!!!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

russians make good tanks. russians make good assualt rifles. the ak-47 was an improved german mp44. is the ak-47 the ultimate battle field rifle even today? forgive me Gen. George Patton! if you had to choose a TRUE military assualt rifle to save your life, what would it be?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

How interesting - amazing.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Booger Bill wrote:Back in the 70s when I lived in california I had a buddy actively looking to find one that he hoped General Patton had buried in the mohave dessert on training. He had me fly him low and slow looking for small spots of vegatation unlike the surrounding area. He theorised that the buried tank would hold water above it allowing plant growth. Well, we had fun flying one day trying out his theory. He did show me one spot he suspected from a ground trip. I looked around and seen a road that was abanded about a quarter mile away, looked like some developer was going to sell land and it fell through. I surprised him and said lets land and check it out! I landed on the road. That probley was dumb, but we never did see anybody else. We walked over but had no probe or detecter. Who knows? There was a tank found in the area a few years earlier he claimed. He even was working on a recovery trailer etc. I guess his idea eventualy phissed out. Still, it was fun looking!
1972 or 1973, a tank used during the desert training exercises was found. If I recall some dirt bike riders found it. It had disappeared during the exeercise, and though a search was made, after a time (there was a war on) it was canceled. The tank when found had apparently tumbled in to a wash and ended up upside down. While there was a drop door on the bottom of the tank, none of the crew were able to push it up. It was found unlatched! The crews remains were recovered.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Now THAT is cool.

And the Komatsu is a BEAST, no?!

Man......
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Here's some good videos of them pulling it out, unloading ammo, etc.:

http://www.diving.ee/articles/art035.html

After the first little short video plays, more choices come up. That's where the good ones are.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The Scary Part...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Wow! Thats cool. Yeah those guys are playing with fire unloading those shells...
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

No biggie but on the 8th picture, the guy on left scratching his head, is he packing?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Looks like a cell phone holster.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Simple, well built machinery is such a rarity in today's world.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

That's an original one-hatch model T34 where the commander was both the commander and the gunner of the main gun (overload of information).

They later went to a 3-man turret. T-34s fought in WW2, and went on later to fight in Korea as well as the various Israeli wars (both sides....supplied to the Syrians among others, as well as old Pzkmpfw III's and IVs from Germany and Spain, then captured by the Israelis).

Good design, though if they all had radios (most didn't) they'd have had better C&C. No intercom, the commander relayed instructions to the driver by kicking him in either shoulder (left/right) or low in the back (back up) or center of back/head (forward).

Oddly enough, I used to "communicate" with my Humvee driver from the turret in similar fashion at times, yelling over the vehicle noise could just be too loud (plus radios) and ours didn't have the built in intercom some now have.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Ironsights wrote:The Scary Part...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Out of their collective minds. Handling WWII munitions ain't for the uninitiated. They should have had a good EOD guy on hand.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

[quote

Out of their collective minds. Handling WWII munitions ain't for the uninitiated. They should have had a good EOD guy on hand.[/quote]

You got my curiosity up. What's the deal on handling that ordnance? My ignorance on this subject is total! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

claybob86 wrote:[quote

Out of their collective minds. Handling WWII munitions ain't for the uninitiated. They should have had a good EOD guy on hand.
You got my curiosity up. What's the deal on handling that ordnance? My ignorance on this subject is total! :)[/quote]

The older the munition, the less stable. Most munitions left over from WWII that have not been properly stored stand a good chance of going "boom" if you sneeze heartily.

Now I suppose that the way the tank was found - under 3m of Peat & water can kinda-sorta cound as hermetic storage since the munitions would have not been able to oxidize, nor would they have undergone freeze/thaw cycles, but still...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I remember seeing the cannon fired with the ammo that came up from that P-38 that was buried under several stories of ice... in, was it Greenland?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY