New (ie, Japan) Winchester 1892 Opinions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jw4570
Levergunner

New (ie, Japan) Winchester 1892 Opinions

Post by jw4570 »

I have a Puma 1892. I was thinking the Winchester 1892 made in Japan would be nicer (I like my 1895 Japan 405 Win). I want 44 Mag over a traditional caliber.

Any opinions out there? Fit/Finish? Quality? Need Smithing?

I've heard some of these have 5rd magazines? Can this be changed? The picture on Winchester's website shows a full length tube.

Jason
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: New (ie, Japan) Winchester 1892 Opinions

Post by Old Ironsights »

Ok...

Any opinions out there?

Fit/Finish? Yes
Quality? Yes
Need Smithing? No

C'mon... it's a Miroku/Browning/Winchester. They are all 110% quality. Yes, they are Japchesters. But from what I understand they are still 110%.

OTOH, The are also 200% of the cost of a Rossi - which is a better "working gun" in both price and function IMO...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Old Ironsights: I have one of the Japchesters 92 , made about 10 years ago.. mine is 45 Colt. I don't know how the new ones compare, but I would rate mine 110%. Mine is without the tang safety, and has no rebounding hammer.. I showed Nate Kioawa Jones some pictures and he thinks mine may have been smithed. I'll have more time to play with it after I retire.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Or you can get a Browning B92 (made 20+ yrs ago)--same Miroku plant--in 44 Mag without the safety junk. Though long out of production, most I've seen are in great shape, including some LNIB. These came in 20" carbine configuration. Also in the 1.5-2x Rossi price range, but nice, are the new(ish) Chiappa/Armi Sport 1892s from Italy (Cimarron and Legacy/LSI have .44M, Taylor's did not last I checked). The 20" carbines come complete with period-correct saddle ring and carbine ladder sight. Just some other options, but nothing beats the fit, finish and function like a Browning--albeit at a cost. I don't disagee with the "working gun" Rossi comment, but if you have your heart set on a more nicely finished gun, these are some options.
Last edited by gak on Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I just picked up a Brownchester 52 sporter. Every bit as good as the original. Miroku does outstanding work.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jw4570
Levergunner

Post by jw4570 »

Excellent reminder on the Brownings. Did they make a takedown model for the Brownings?

I've seen the Browning 1895's and they are just like my 1895 minus the safety. I actually have a set of Browning 1895 stocks on my Win 1895. I had to inlet the stocks for the tang safety on mine, but I wanted a set of stocks to cut for a recoil pad (I know, but hey it's a 405) and that I could hunt with and not worry so much, also a swivel. The 1895 shoots fantastic! I did put a receiver sight on it.

But as a long as the 92 is a solid frame gun, that's an excellent point.

My Puma 1892 I picked up earlier this year for about $375. It was used but in great condition, had the stupid safety though. I'll get it slicked up, need to contact Nate and get some parts.

I do want a ROUND barrel, 20" rifle, in 44 Mag. so that elimates originals.
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

Too $$$ . :-(

God bless
Wyr
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Everytime I have held one of the Jap Winny it has been Very Nicely made and smooth right out of the box. I have 2 in 45-70.. both are as well made as any rifle I have ever owned to include my Browning.
I would have no fear buying a Jap Browning If it was maintained and most are. The average feller looking for a pickup rifle didn´t buy Brownings.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

My Browning 92 in .357 is my favorite rifle of any type.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Amen Bullet Bob. I stupidly sold mine and deeply regret it.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

I own seven Miroku-made Winchester-pattern lever guns -- two Browning-marked and five Winchester-marked, along with three 1885 single-shot rifles. Lawyerized safety parts aside, they are wonderful guns. And although I agree with those who dislike the excessive safety features, these are readily modified. Also the truth is that when the shooter looks through the sights and pulls the trigger, he is not aware of tang safeties and rebounding hammers. The high quality of these guns far outweighs these non-traditional features.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Cimarron Red wrote:I own seven Miroku-made Winchester-pattern lever guns -- two Browning-marked and five Winchester-marked, along with three 1885 single-shot rifles. Lawyerized safety parts aside, they are wonderful guns. And although I agree with those who dislike the excessive safety features, these are readily modified. Also the truth is that when the shooter looks through the sights and pulls the trigger, he is not aware of tang safeties and rebounding hammers. The high quality of these guns far outweighs these non-traditional features.
And I can attest to the accuracy of Cimarron Red's Jap-chesters. That bugger has beaten me 8 times out of ten at the last fifty matches. :D

Howdy Reds!-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hey, Jack,

Thanks for the compliment, but nobody should be fooled. When I shoot with Sixgun, he just takes pity on an old guy and throws a shot or two so I win. Right, Jack?

You dug out of that winter wonderland yet? 62 degrees here today.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Cimarron Red wrote:Hey, Jack,

Thanks for the compliment, but nobody should be fooled. When I shoot with Sixgun, he just takes pity on an old guy and throws a shot or two so I win. Right, Jack?

You dug out of that winter wonderland yet? 62 degrees here today.
Reds,
Ain't foolin' nobody Reds, you are the finest offhand shot I have ever known......period.....

The snow sure is fun. The most in recorded history. But now that I am a bit on the older side, I have been fortunate to have a 4 wheel drive Kubota and a 12 horse snowblower to ease the back pain a bit.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Thanks again, Jack. That's high praise coming from as good a shot as you!