Browning Mainspring pressure - How much is good enough

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
twoguns
Levergunner 1.0

Browning Mainspring pressure - How much is good enough

Post by twoguns »

I have two new springs coming from MGW for my Browning 1886. I cut the original one a wee bit too short during my action smoothing exercise and it won't light off my primers. I think it is a combination of the inertia firing pin structure and mainspring pressure. Does anyone have the magic formula to get the mainspring pressure balanced so that the action cycles smoothly but light up the primers?
A man on a gallopin' horse in the middle of the night would never know the difference.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Browning Mainspring pressure - How much is good enough

Post by J Miller »

twoguns,

Here is my method of doing that. I stick in the weakest spring and then go shoot ammo loaded with CCI primers. If it pops them all the first time every time, I stop there. If I get even so much as one that doesn't fire I go up to the next heavier spring and shoot more CCI primered ammo.
It's a royal pain in the patootie but since each gun is different I really don't know any "formula".
I can tell you this. My Rossi Puma .45 Colt I had worked great with the Wolff 19# Ruger Blackhawk main spring. Just enough ooomph to positively fire CCI primers but not so much to heavy up the action.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I had a similar problem with my Marlin 39A. After trimming the coil mainspring, I experienced a few failures to fire. I solved the problem by shimming the mainspring with small, thin stainless steel flat washers with the holes filed out to fit over the mainspring guide rod. After installing two washers the misfires were gone and the action remained light and smooth.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
B-92 Steven
Levergunner

Post by B-92 Steven »

Twoguns, In my message/entry "Model 92 mainspring replacement" is similar to your question. I feel the mainspring in my Browning is too stout for smooth cycling. What I want to do is find a replacement mainspring and found something I hope would work at Brownells. I would perfer not to cut the original mainspring so I can put it back if I ever needed to. I read Joe'e reply where he used Ruger springs. Anyone else have springs that would work?