Taylors/Uberti 1873 revolver firing pin loose

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
grahng
Levergunner 2.0

Taylors/Uberti 1873 revolver firing pin loose

Post by grahng »

Just got my new revolver and took it to the range yesterday. Shot like a dream. When I got it home to clean, I noticed the firing pin jiggles a little. Is that normal?????? I see there is a little hole on the backside of the hammer. Problably where it can be adjusted or removed, right? What tool is used to tighten the firing pin and what size?
Thanks
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Taylors/Uberti 1873 revolver firing pin loose

Post by Buck Elliott »

the firing pin cannot be "tightened..." it is set loosely in the hammer (although well-secured) much as 2nd Generation Colt SAAs were made. It is supposed to allow for dimensional tolerance differences between hammer and frame, letting the firing pin find the center of the opening in the back of the frame, without battering either pin or frame in the process...

IOW, it's "normal..."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
grahng
Levergunner 2.0

Post by grahng »

Ya know Buck....I kinda had thought something like that in the back of my mind. Thanks for confirming.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

grahng,

As Buck said that's normal. My 1975 vintage Uberti Cattleman does the same thing and it's still got the original firing pin in it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***