OT Thank you Short Magnums!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

OT Thank you Short Magnums!

Post by brno602 »

Because of the Short mags like the super short 25 I can now use the stubby short cals like 44 Mag for deer hunting.
A few years ago Alberta made the change to any centerfire cal greater than .224 is legal before, it had to have a min case of 41mm and shoot a bullet greater than .224. I don't like the idea of shooting a deer with a .224 yet they make some great bullets for the 22/250 like barnesX that would work, but that old rule also made some very capable cals illegal to hunt with here and now according to the rules you could use a 38 sp in a lever. Now
me and my hunting bud's got in a big debate about this the other night At least we all agree 98% would most likely not shoot at a Deer or even worse a Elk/ Moose with a 38 in a lever the other 2% would know what they are doing and pick the shot carefully,like my rancher friend that want's to take a Deer with his dads 25/20 I seen him shoot I load his ammo and I know he could do it. At 40 yards it's still better than my bow. That 40yds would be far for him as the deer come right into his yard,and I hot rod that old 92 :)
What are the regs like where you live?

I hunt with all types of stuff From a Bow to a .416 and My Black powder .54 Hawken replica with 110gr of 2f it's good for 2200fps with a round ball hard cast I might add as it is not touchting the bore why shoot soft lead? :D
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT Thank you Short Magnums!

Post by allhands »

Believe it or not, in Maine, you are allowed great range of calibers, including .22 mag rimfire to hunt deer. None of my hunting buds use a .22 mag., but the gunshop I work at always has a run on .22 mag rifles prior to deer season.
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
Old Skirmisher
Levergunner

Post by Old Skirmisher »

In Penna. we can use any centerfire cartridge regardless of caliber as long as it shoots a lead or jacketed bullet designed to expand. For ML, the caliber must be .44 or greater.

Hey brno602, I've always read that soft lead must be used for a patched round ball so that's what I do. How's the accuracy with your hard lead?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Centerfire in Arizona. Leaves room for some stupidity but I've not heard any complaints about people hunting deer with their .25 ACPs. :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Old Skirmisher wrote:In Penna. we can use any centerfire cartridge regardless of caliber as long as it shoots a lead or jacketed bullet designed to expand. For ML, the caliber must be .44 or greater.

Hey brno602, I've always read that soft lead must be used for a patched round ball so that's what I do. How's the accuracy with your hard lead?
That's what I have always read too but got to thinking that the ball really does not touch the rifling so I have been shooting WW alloy for years and even some lyno. They shoot great I am using a Lee .530 Mold. In the minnie or REAL bullet I use pure lead. I am kinda old school and still use Lard or rendered Deer tallow for lube on the patches or Bullet.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

brno602 wrote:What are the regs like where you live?
Illinois is the land that brought forth Obama.

Here, it's legal to hunt deer with a .30 Carbine in a 4" derringer having useless sights and a 20 lb trigger. It's illegal to hunt deer with a well tuned, adjustable sight revolver firing .44 Mag out of, say, a 3 3/4 inch barrel.

For the most part, deer hunting is either shot gun or muzzleloader, or bow.

It's a goofy state.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Wait, I see the reg's have changed since I last hunted here. Now, two barrel guns are illegal, and I'm not aware of anyone making a single barrel derringer in .30 Carbine. Also, the reg's no longer specifically call out the .30 Carbine as a legal handgun cartridge. Instead, you have to be able to provide factory data showing your cartridge can make 500 ft lb at the muzzle, and I don't think any factory bothers to test and print ballistic data for this cartridge from barrels as short as 4 inches.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

In SC, any centerfire cartridge is legal, but full metal jacket bullets are forbidden. A .25 ACP with a softpoint bullet would satisfy the law.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

brno602 wrote:
Old Skirmisher wrote:In Penna. we can use any centerfire cartridge regardless of caliber as long as it shoots a lead or jacketed bullet designed to expand. For ML, the caliber must be .44 or greater.

That's what I have always read too but got to thinking that the ball really does not touch the rifling so I have been shooting WW alloy for years and even some lyno. They shoot great I am using a Lee .530 Mold. In the minnie or REAL bullet I use pure lead. I am kinda old school and still use Lard or rendered Deer tallow for lube on the patches or Bullet.

.25 ACP?? Heck if I remember right, these were even legal in 06 in PA.
Nothing like the PA. Game Commission. :roll: :(

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... _deer.html

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/ ... tlatl.html
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

There are no restrictions in Vermont with regards to the general firearms season.

Most deer in this state are in fact taken by .22 LR.

At night and with the aid of a spotlight :shock:
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Jason_W wrote:There are no restrictions in Vermont with regards to the general firearms season.

Most deer in this state are in fact taken by .22 LR.

At night and with the aid of a spotlight :shock:

Unfortunately True For Most States. :(
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

"Any centerfire rifle" including the .17 Remington.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.