new rifle, can anyone share some wisdom (pic heavy)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
uncoolperson
Levergunner

new rifle, can anyone share some wisdom (pic heavy)

Post by uncoolperson »

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth getting a cody letter (okay, so I'm a cheapskate... $60 is like 5 cases of pabst!)

How can I tell if it's been reblued? looks way too nice to be 110, or maybe I just got way lucky. And with light scratches (looks like someone might have rubbed it with steel wool or something here) I'm guessing it's been reblued.

Am I correct in guessing that sight wasn't made for this rifle? The angle when full flipped up doesn't seem right.

Any other things that stick out as unoriginal?

And finally, not cause I see it as an investment, or plan to sell (probably my new deer rifle).
guestimate on value?

Thanks
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: new rifle, can anyone share some wisdom (pic heavy)

Post by Sixgun »

Save your money (exception--see below) --its been reblued. How long is the barrel? Looks cut, but it could be the angle of the pic. If that barrel is less than 26" and it looks like it was not cut, it might pay to get a letter as then its a "short rifle" and will be worth more, even if its been reblued.

Pics are dark--at least on my computer--hard to tell detail. We need lots more detail to give an appraisal.

As for the sight, loosen the nut about a half turn---put the stem where you want it---hold it and tighten--it will return to that spot.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Jack is right, better photos would permit better evaluation. They are too small, too dark and not well composed (although that is a more minor concern). What chambering is it? It looks like the barrel was cut due to the relative length of the mag tube but I might be wrong. The bluing and wear make me think it was re-blued back in the '40s to '50s. But, again, the photos aren't that good and don't show enough detail.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

knew I forgot something
http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncoolpers ... 591380415/
all the pictures are there, if you click a picture then click the all sizes icon you can get em pretty big.

the barrel says 30 wcf

the barrel is 26 inches, or it is from this point to the end (picture below)

thanks, just curious... wouldn't matter much to me if I found bondo on the stock, well worth the trade (an AR) to me atleast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I`d trade a couple ar`s for one like that myself!! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mr. Uncool,
The pics in the link are dark also. BTW, I'll give you $125 for the sight.--------Sixgun

uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

I'll try with some better lighting and a white background tomorrow.

I might be getting rid of the sight. I think my eye is screwy or something, seems to bend the image to the left for me (and me alone so far, only had to wife look at it). I line up the irons and set the rifle somewhere it wont move, then pop the sight up and the iron sights are off alignment (as though my eye has moved left just a smidge). Gotta see what that's about before I decide to pull it off. If i do I'll remember you.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

They still brew Pabst? :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Generally speaking if the screw holes in the receiver are, in any way, dished this is a sure sign of reblue. Another way is to examine the stamped or rolled lettering, same thing, any rounding is also a sign. The third way is to examine the screw heads, if they are smooth and blue on the top, but nicked in the slot, this is also a refinish clue. There are more ways, but these are the easiest indicators of polishing.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

It's not necessarily the condition of the rifle etc. that makes a Cody letter worthwhile -- it's the history of the rifle instead. Bumb beer off yer buddies for a couple of weeks and get the letter.
ED
Yer never too old
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

crs wrote:They still brew Pabst? :D
It's not brewed, they get it straight from the horse.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Gun Smith wrote:Generally speaking if the screw holes in the receiver are, in any way, dished this is a sure sign of reblue. Another way is to examine the stamped or rolled lettering, same thing, any rounding is also a sign. The third way is to examine the screw heads, if they are smooth and blue on the top, but nicked in the slot, this is also a refinish clue. There are more ways, but these are the easiest indicators of polishing.
Could still be refinished though, if done by a pro. When done by hand with sandpaper & sandingblock it can be pretty difficult to see any tell tale signs, no dishing of holes, no polishing with too fine a grit to make it too shiny etc.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Forget the cosmetics and shoot it. I would be more concerned about bore quality and function of the action.
EYE WASH has no value at all when you need a Good shooter to make meat or Repel Boarders.
IF it shoots and cycles them maybe a letter...
I can load a whole heep of my cast loads for $60...
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

I think I've figured out lighting.

Anything in particular I'm trying to get pictures of (for example I think I've figured out how to look for dishing of the screws [I ain't finding it here, wait... I should probably remove the filter on the lens])?
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

New pictures, same link ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncoolpers ... 591380415/ )

this one I just think looks cool
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

That will make a very nice hunting rifle with or without the letter. Have you shot it yet?
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

Nope, need to order some cast bullets to load up for it. I don't want to send anything jacketed down a barrel this old.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Trading an AR for that ------ you may have to take the "un" out of "uncoolperson" :lol: I dont know what its worth -- but i know what i like when i see it (thumbs up)
----- Doug
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

Streetstar wrote:Trading an AR for that ------ you may have to take the "un" out of "uncoolperson" :lol: I dont know what its worth -- but i know what i like when i see it (thumbs up)
By prices expected out of each of our sales, I'm $100 ahead...

Funny enough I saw an ad for a .32 special, and I'm considering trying a trade there...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

You don't have to worry about shooting jacketed in that barrel, all the 30's in the 94 had barrel steel that was good for jacketed.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

I was lead (hahaha) to believe cast was easier on the barrel than jacketed, is the difference so insignificant it wouldn't really matter on occasion?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Well, lead is easier on a barrel, any barrel, but the steel in your Winchester barrel is fine for jacketed. It's probably even marked on the barrel as being "special steel" (compared to the barrels on older guns). Winchester used a tougher grade steel for barrels on the smokeless rifles, and eventually went to the better grade steel on all it's rifles as black powder loads were phased out.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

Went to shoot her for the first time today. And shoot her younger cousin and the loudmouth sidekick (the rossi 92, and century arms coach) picked up the rossi earlier this week, and the shotgun today while getting ammo to go shooting today... funny how that works out sometimes. Once I figured out where it was hitting she did just fine on clay out to about 100 yards.

Think I might be getting rid of it... something about this rifle just isn't doing it, think I need another 32 special.
uncoolperson
Levergunner

Post by uncoolperson »

yeah, another one of "those" posts.

the worlds gone a little sideways.... think I need to thin the herd some.

any suggestions for an asking price for this rifle?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

26" from the breech face is correct. Ok, so it's been refinished... that doesn't detract from it's use as a shooter... and often extends it's life with added protection from corrosion.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

$50 ......... you wanna sell it or you don't