Winchester 94 AE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CarlsenHighway
Levergunner

Winchester 94 AE

Post by CarlsenHighway »

Gentlemen, had to register again, so Im not really new...but I do have a question about a like new Winchester 94 AE deluxe .30/30.

How do you guys feel about the AE rifles - with the rebounding hammer? I have only had the older ones, (including a 1952 carbine I should never have sold :roll: )

I suddenly discovered to my horror that I no longer had a .30/30 Carbine and this '94 AE model has come along - absolutely mint, deluxe wood and checkering, 100% blueing and very nice, but I just wonder if the newfangled stuff would annoy me over time - the rebounding hammer - the AE flicking cases into my right eye...or whatever it does. I don't scope leveractions so the AE is not a feature for me. Going by serial number probably made about 1988 - 90 so does that mean it will have some other space age thing, like another additional tang safety or something?
I am tempted because its just such a beautiful rifle. (Only seen photos though)

Alternatively I have located another carbine from 1967 that is beat up and worn silver on the outside, but with a mint condtition barrel and for much less.

What is the general feeling among the levergun community?
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester 94 AE

Post by Stan in SC »

Take the older rifle.Good to see you back.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Buy both.

Why take a chance that you'll pick the wrong one?

Besides, they get lonely when they are by themselseves.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I had read that the newer angle eject models were slightly weaker than the top eject models due to the metal being removed for the angle ejection. I doubt if that would be a factor with factory loads. I would be tempted to get the older one and have the rebounding hammer mechanism replaced with the old half cock mechanism. I would then have it rechambered in 30-30 Ackley Improved. Consider the worn finish as pre-antiqued for you. You won't have to worry about the first ding or scratch on a beautiful rifle either. I don't like scopes on lever guns, but would recommend a good receiver sight.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I don't think there's a mechanical or strength issue with the AE's, other than the fact that they almost invariably have lousy trigger pulls. Best fix is to hunt for a pre-rebounding hammer & tang assembly to swap out and this of course adds to the price. AE's just don't feel right to my hand, which was apparently ground to fit the older 94's.

AE's do generally have excellent barrels and, I suspect, better chamber dimensions. I've had ahold of a couple that were almost scary accurate and would shoot right along with hunting-grade bolt actions.

Me? I'd buy the older one, especially if the AE had the crossbolt safety.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

The angle eject doesn't bother me, but the rebounding hammer does. I had light primer strike misfires on mine until I replaced the lower tang assembly with an older one with the half cock mechanism. From what I hear, some rebounders have this problem, some don't. None of the non-rebounders have this trouble that I'm aware of.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I had one, don't want another , no matter what .
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mutt
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I've swapped out all the tangs on mine. Decent fit and finish and nice dark blue. I do like the history of the older guns, but I like the ability to scope them as my eyes age.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I've got two AE's, a 357Mag with rebounding hammer and cross bolt safety and a 44Mag with just the rebounding hammer. I like 'em both and have had no problem with either, I had some trigger work done on the 357 but have yet to have a go at the 44.
As FWiedner says get 'em both!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I have a rebound/angle eject 356 BB and never had an issue. The trigger takes some getting used to but it shoots great. I like the get them both idea then either keep them both or sell the one you don't like.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have had both and have had no problem with the rebounding hammer in 45 Colt, four or five 30-30s, 25-35 and 444 BB. I like them better than the old style but I did not start with the old style. And, I like the angle eject better because it allows you to mount the scope where I like it and I don't like cases landing on my head as they sometimes do. Accuracy had been no problem with the triggers. At least to the 3/4" that seems to be about the best these rifles easily produce with the ammo that works the best in them. Had a pre 64 but I gave it away. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

I own both, and both work equally well. My 44 mag Trapper has a rebounding hammer, and no lawyersafety. It came out a little before those angle ejects started getting the button safety. I've put over a thousand rounds through it-cast bullets mostly, and never had a problem with the rebounding hammer. I'll tend to disagree with Stan in SC with all due respect though, when he says to take the older one. You said that the older one was made in 1967. That could spell trouble. The 94's of that era had a cartridge carrier that was a flimsy piece of stamped sheetmetal, and eventually would bend. Then you had a jam. Then you had to take the link screw out, and drop the jammed cartridge out of the bottom of the receiver. Around 1971 or so, Winchester changed that, and started selling their 94's with an investment-cast carrier. Those were used from then onward, right into the end of Winchester's production, and are pretty much trouble-free. If you bought the older one, with its stamped lifter, you'd sooner or later have to find one of the newer carriers (not cheap any more) and fit it to your "older" 1967 Model 94. You could buy both of them, as Iceman says. Once you get them squared away you might want to keep them. the 1967 model came drilled and tapped for receiver sights. The angle eject has holes originally intended for scope mounts, but Williams makes a receiver sight that can be mounted into those holes with no problem.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have had the cross bolt safty and the tang safty model. The cross bolt model was the one I should of kept it shot that good! The eject is not an issue, the rebounding hammer is not an issue unless someone lessens the hammer spring weight in a vain attempt to lighten the trigger.
I reasonably was able to stone the triggers and get them better. 3lb is easy enough.
You can alter the rebounding system so the rebound is less but it may make the safety operation clash slightly with the hammer if you wish to apply the safety, just means moving the hammer a little thats all.

I would like the smarter wood and the chance of maybe a better general production than a stock gun!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have a early 80's pre-satety AE and had a post '64 trapper, both in .30-30. IMO, the early AE's were better in fit and finish from the post '64's. But unlike you, I like the ability to scope them and think of the AE as an improvement. At a minimum, it doesn't detract from their quality IMO. The rebounding hammer is another issue. Outta the box it sucked. A little polishing here and there and a spring swap and I got a fairly crisp 4.5lbs pull. Traditional halfcock in still better. Of the 2 different rifles I've had, the AE doesn't shoot nearly as straight as the older trapper but it's luck of the draw on all Winchesters from what I've heard. Some shoot straight, some take some tweaking.

I'd avoid the '67 unless cheap. If you want an older one with a good trigger go back a few more years and get a pre-64. The AE, take em or leave em. Aren't bad, aren't great. Your call on that one but it does sound in nice condition.

LK
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a pile of '94s. Pre-64s and a bunch of 94AEs.
Every one of the AE's has been an excellent shooter.
The one I have now was one of the last.
A 94 Trails End in 45 Colt ( yeah, those pistol cals. aren't supposed to work either).
I've been doing my best to wear it out, break something etc.
Haven't been able to do that yet.
I'll keep trying! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Unless it was absolutely NIB, I would stay away from any 1964-1970 Model 94, although, if you're prepared for a non-refinishable receiver, you might be okay with one.

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I would have to agree with Pete, the 64-70's probably aren't quite as good as the AE's as far as wear and tear go.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

If you are willing to play with swapping parts around, either one will do just fine. You can swap out the rebounding hammer on the AE or you can change the carrier (easiest to do) on the old one, if it has the stamped version.

Parts are out there to do what you want/need as well.