Attn Ca shooters Barnes is expanding their line

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Attn Ca shooters Barnes is expanding their line

Post by JReed »

I was poking around and found that Barnes is expanding the caliber selection they didnt used to make any thing for the .303 now they do. Good thing because I didnt want to have to stop carrying my SMLE.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/tsx-bullet/

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005
Last edited by JReed on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Barnes is expanding their line

Post by FALPhil »

JReed wrote:I was poking around and found that Barnes is expanding the caliber selection they didnt used to make any thing for the .303 now they do. Good thing because I didnt want to have to stop carrying my SMLE.
Why would Barnes not making a bullet stop you from carrying your SMLE? (is it a No.1 or a No. 4?) I don't use Barnes bullets because it is a lot of work to get them to shoot as accurate as bullets from 10 other vendors, and their terminal performance is about on par with 6 of those other vendors. And for all that, they charge twice as much.

In my two 303 Brits, the Speer Hot-Cor does as well as anything I have ever seen. And it's a lot cheaper.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Because Jeremy is in CALIFORNIA with the lead bullet ban..
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

If you live in The People's Republic of Kalifornistan, you won't be able to hunt with lead bullets pretty soon. Barnes makes some solid copper bullets I believe.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I live in CA and the lead ban goes in to effect July 1 the best hunting for pigs and mule deer is in the ban zone. Hence I would have had to stop using my No4Mk1 since until now no one made non lead bullets in .311. Trust me Sierra 180 Pro Hunters shoot awesome through mine and are what I would rather use.

Mainly I posted this for other members in CA as a heads up that Barnes is stepping up to the plate and offering bullets in non standered calibers. Good business sence on their part.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Yaknow what would be a nice thing????

If they would start making copper projectiles for .22 rimfires for people in kali and offer a
little machine to screw to your bench to pull out the lead and smack in a bit
of copper.

I know it would be simpler to buy a .17 rimfire but I imagine allot of folks
have very special .22's from parents or grandparents they would still like use.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I wouldnt be suprised if they dont start offering .22rimfire ammo in copper soon enough.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The local gun shop has a section labeled Condor ammo with the TSX bullets, when is the season :wink: , are they good eating? :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Those SH*t birds taste like stuff :lol: :lol: . But you dont eat coyotes and I shoot them all the time.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well, they stopped making the 180 grainer in .358, that was going to be my 35 Remington hunting bullet.

I'm not enthused about the 200 and 220 grainers, I don't really want to deal with the extra length. The 140 grain pistol bullet might work, but I just may go with the 30-30 for hunting from now on.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

I hear Nosler is whumping up some non-lead bullets too.

Rather than screw with California, I'm moving to Oregon.

Easier to get out than face the regulations coming on my diesel trucks (they cause cancer), light bulbs, thermostats (they dropped the radio controlled ones they can remotely adjust for now but they'll be back), homosexual education beginning in kindergarten, taxes, fees, high prices, taxes, bad roads, taxes, carpool lanes, electrical power shortages, a bankrupted treasury, more taxes, illegal aliens, taxes to pay for illegal aliens. When they overturn Proposition 13 I'll have to pay over $1,000 A MONTH property tax on my home.

And they wonder why folks are moving out.
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

Hobie wrote:Because Jeremy is in CALIFORNIA with the lead bullet ban..
Da - yum!
Wrangler John wrote:Rather than screw with California, I'm moving to Oregon.
Yeah, but they aren't far behind.

I didn't know where Jeremy was from, and I do vaguely remember something about California continuing to be stuck on stupid about lead bullets. What is interesting is that there is no scientific evidence to support that lead ammo (bullets or shot) causes any problem in wildlife whatsoever. In fact there is not even any anecdotal evidence, only theory based on a poor understanding of the properties of lead and lead compounds.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

The lead bullet ban in CA has very little to do with lead and a whole lot to do with banning hunting and guns. Just my opinion.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

hmmm ..... in another thread a .375 Winchester caliber bolt action rifle was discussed ....

and Barnes now makes .375 TSX bullets in 270 and 300 grain .....

hmmm, what an interesting pig hunting bullet those might be ???

Cheers,

Carl
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I heard tell that the condor taste is somewhere between a spotted owl and a bald eagle 8)
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

EXACTLY
SJPrice wrote:The lead bullet ban in CA has very little to do with lead and a whole lot to do with banning hunting and guns. Just my opinion.
g rice
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I just received a box of the Barnes 300 grain TSX bullets to use in my .45-70 and .45-90 Winchesters. Too bad that they cost a dollar each, which makes practice shooting out of the question. I'll just hope that they are on par with the Originals, a bullet that I have hundreds of.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

well ... to bad about the 180gr I also wanted to use them for my 35 rem ..
but they have the 200 ( for my 358win) and 225 for the 358 Hawk
when it gets built ....

Ca. SUCKS !!!!! can't wait till I retire and can get the F--- out !!!!!!!

Sorry for the explicative .. but I hate this place !!!!!!

Talon
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

H_Talon wrote:well ... to bad about the 180gr I also wanted to use them for my 35 rem ..
but they have the 200 ( for my 358win) and 225 for the 358 Hawk
when it gets built ....

Ca. SUCKS !!!!! can't wait till I retire and can get the F--- out !!!!!!!

Sorry for the explicative .. but I hate this place !!!!!!

Talon
What's holding you??? Go ahead and leave now. It'll be one less applicant for deer tags, which will give the rest of us a better chance to draw a tag.

Buy a place up in OR or over in NV or AZ and go there fir the weekend to relieve stress.

Just funnin with ya but DANG!!! ease up and look for ways to work around some of these problems.
ED
Yer never too old
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Yep - California is a free range mental asylum thanks to the idiots on both sides of the ballots. I knew there'd be trouble back in the '60's and '70's when I passed Ken Kesey's house in La Honda, and saw the Sheriff hanging in effigy. Seems old Ken, Tom Wolf, Ken Babbs, Wavy Gravy, The Grateful Dead, Mountain Girl (Mrs. Jerry Garcia) and a bunch of other devotee's of LSD and other things silly and chemical, wanted to protest Kesey's arrest.

Well, all those acid dropping pot-heads finally grew up, cut their hair, shaved their legs, washed their pits and applied a dab of Ban, and straightened out long enough to get a degree so they could become our leaders. Why the county personnel director was a hippie era resident of La Honda until she retired last year. Our entire leadership is from that Stupid Generation.

Good gosh the chickens have come home to roost.

I'm still moving to Oregon because Sometimes I Have a Great Notion. (Sorry for the pun).
model55
Levergunner 3.0

barnes

Post by model55 »

Any one who likes SMLE's and levers can not be all bad :D I like the 180 sierras as well.I agree that this is about banning guns I live within miles of the Las Padres and have yet to see a Condor that I can be sure of ,however you see Turkey Vultures every where(all of them alive by the way).Local gun shop gossip is that four of the Condors died on power lines and were included in the study for effect.Imagine that.Guess I'll either buy Barnes bullets or hunt else where while Arnold Shriver pretends to save the Dodo Bird from basic evolution.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Model55 are you coming to the Ca get together check out the sticky.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

ORs gun laws are rapidly becoming as draconian as CAs. Many ex-patriot Californians are in power up there and brought their "anti" views with them.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
model55
Levergunner 3.0

barnes

Post by model55 »

Unforunately JREED that is the day after my wifes B-day so I'm going to stick around with SWMBO.
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Mike D. wrote:ORs gun laws are rapidly becoming as draconian as CAs. Many ex-patriot Californians are in power up there and brought their "anti" views with them.

They aren't that bad, my buddy in Bend just walks into the Sportsman's Warehouse or Nosler and picks up a rifle, they got instant check! He easily got a CCW. I figure if enough of us right-wing powder burners move there we can counteract the wackos. Money magazine notes that moving to Oregon from California is a 40% cost of living reduction. Otherwise it's Nevada for me.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Washington's Gun Rights portion of the State Constitution is way stronger than the 2nd of the Bill of Rights.....The cities cannot pass anything stricter than the constitution 8) That could change someday, but this portion of the left coast loves their guns real good and CCW is a slam dunk if you ain't got a record.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV