Saw a Russian levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Skirmisher
Levergunner

Saw a Russian levergun

Post by Old Skirmisher »

on TV last night. TCM showed a Russian movie made years ago; it was about an army surveying party out in the boondocks of Siberia around 1907. The captain carried a '95 Winchester. Interesting that they are/were still floating around in the U.S.S.R. when the movie was made. Were they issued to Russian troops back at the turn of the century?
Hobie

Re: Saw a Russian levergun

Post by Hobie »

The vast bulk of the Winchester 95 was produced for the Russian govt in conjunction with WWI. They went a lot of places after that. Some to Spain during the civil war, some were reportedly captured by Finland in the Winter War, some even went to Vietnam. There are supposedly still large stocks of the guns in Russia.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good movie too. "Dersu Uzala", I gave my copy to my Dad and can't seem to get it back. :D

Here's a Russian 95 that's been to Spain also. There's a Loyalist cartuche on the stock.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I think they were all the so called 'musket' model with full wood.

At todays prices, if anyone got their hands on those rifles they would make a bomb.