OT: Anybody hunt with .45/70 handguns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
prebans
Levergunner

OT: Anybody hunt with .45/70 handguns?

Post by prebans »

Just curious to know what barrel lengths you use and what velocities you expect. I've found references to 10" (only one reference to somebody using 10"), 12" (maybe two or three references to folks using 12", and T/C has 2 or 3 of the 12" barrels on their site), 14" (seems to be the vast majority and there are LOTS of 14" 45/70 barrels on T/C's web site), and 15" (one or two references only).

Thanks,

Mike
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT: Anybody hunt with .45/70 handguns?

Post by Lastmohecken »

I used to own a Contender with a 12 inch barrel in 45/70. I had a 2.5 power Leupold scope on it. The barrel was ported. It could be shot accurately, but was a kicker. It didnot climb, but came straight back during recoil. I always shot it with one hand on the forend.

I usually just shot 300gr factory hollowpoints. I never killed anything with it, but did shoot it a fair amount. I finally got bored and sold it to a friend at work and he still has it, and has taken a few deer with it. Another friend of ours was shooting it, with light loads and my buddy slipped a factory load in it, without telling him. The gun came back on him and broke his nose. No kidding, he looked kinda rough for a few days. I wasn't there, but I did razz him about it later. :lol:
NRA Life Member, Patron
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

My dad and one of his friends hunt with 45-70 Contenders with 15in barrels (not ported) with M2 Aimpoints on them. Kicks like a darn angry mule, but gets the job done. The muzzle flash at dusk will blind you. :lol: I know of a few that tried to tame that gun and ended up eating the scope.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know someone on here has a .444 Encore pistol, too.

Myself, I'd rather not bother with any gun I have to 'download' - if I can't shoot regular factory ammo in it, I'd just as soon get a 'lesser' chambering I can use full-house loads in, for the same downrange ballistics.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had a 10" BFR for a couple years before I stupidly traded it off :cry: The 405 grain rounds that made 1700 in the 1895CB were doing about 1400 in the BFR. I shot some of Grizz' 500+ grain loads and they were comfortable. I shot a few Garrett's 420gr +P Hammerheads, and they were at a place where much more would have been way too much for plinking. 300gr Factory ammo, Federal and Win., were comfortable to shoot plinking. With a Burris SpeedDot, I considered it a 100+ yard hunting shooter (with a good rest). I really need another big boomer, and the BFR, to me, was as well built as the Freedom Arms monsters.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I've put one of those Lyman Gould-designed 330 gr cast HPs from a 10" BFR through a deer at about 75 yds. Not even close to a hot load, but the bullet impacted high, removed a section of spine more than 3" long and left a correspondingly large exit wound. I like that BFR; being stainless and having rubber grips, it's my "dishwasher-safe gun" for when deer season coincides with good duck hunting weather.

I've since gotten hold of a Century 6 1/2" that will eventually get its' chance at making meat. They made that gun too stinking bulky to be handled easily just so it would be a true sixshooter, but I just had to have one to round things out.

Also have a .45-70 Contender barrel; 15 5/8" (including the muzzle brake) and it has a completely different feel when shooting it than either of the revolvers. Like was touched on earler in the thread, it's more of a straight back at you dynamic with less muzzle flip. The off-hand gripping the forend hold is what I've ended up preferring with most any "kicking" barrel on that thing...
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

A buddy has a 15" Encore barrel that is kinda comfortable to shoot with the rubber grips. Factory 405gr and 300gr HP's aren't bad at all to shoot.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I bought/shot an early T/C Contender Hunter .45-70 gun/Lobo scope package with the suede leather carry case, when the .45-70 was first introduced in the Contender (waaaaay B 4 any Encore was ever made).

The bbl OAL was 14", with a 1 1/2" integral T/C "Muzzle Tamer brake installed as part of the package (making the actual bbl length 12 1/2"), along with T/C's then also new "cushioned" walnut grips - with a padded back edge said to tame the mighty beast.

Since the first short drove the trigger overtravel adj nut on the back of the TG into my middle finger, drawing blood, I didn't care WHAT the exact velocity was - All I wanted was a set of Pachmayr rubber bumpers, STAT.

I kept shooting the same .300gr factory loads for about a year, getting some very nice groups despite the recoil, before I tired of fighting it & sent it on down the road.

Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I have a BFR in 45-70 and have put probably 500-600 rounds through it, but haven't hunted with it.