OT, not even gun related: Blue headlight questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT, not even gun related: Blue headlight questions

Post by J Miller »

I've been seeing these blue headlights on newer cars and at the parts stores. Seen some television adds too. According to the adds these blue lights are better than the halogen bulbs we've been using. Supposedly producing more illumination, farther out than the halogens.

Has anybody here actually done any night driving in a vehicle that has these blue headlights?

Is there really a significant improvement?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT, not even gun related: Blue headlight questions

Post by Bullard4075 »

This doesn't answer your question directly .........but might help!

http://www.bestcovery.com/best-replacement-headlights
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Personally, I cannot abide them. Most morons who have them set the beam so high that oncoming drivers are blinded by the intensity of the blue-white light. It seems to be a 'thing" among the rice rocket drivers around here. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yes. Not enough difference to recommend the $100 price of upgrade. I just need to get younger eyes. I read that night vision degrades really fast after age 25.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Dang things should be banned. Absolutely blinding to oncoming traffic, a real hazard to other drivers. :(
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'll bet you guys all have buggy whips, too :wink: PROPERLY aimed HID lights pose no discomfort to oncoming traffic. For excellent night vision with out the stunning price of the HIDs, look at Sylvania SilverStar replacement. Properly aim them after installation and you will be amazed how much better you can see, and you won't hack off the oncoming traffic.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

My newest car ('09 Maxima) came with them as part of the sport package when we got it new in Aug, '08. They are called "HID xenon headlights" and they are much brighter at night and the high beams are absolutely awesome. There are laws already in our state, Tn., that outlaw similar aftermarket lights, so it will be interesting to see how that works out.
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've seen all the blinding issues mentioned above. But I've also seen the extra illumination they produce. Since I'm driving more at night lately, and my eyes are closer to 60 than 25 I need all the help I can get.

I just called the local Nissan dealer and some of the new Nissans do come from the factory with this HID xenon headlights. When I asked about retro fitting my 95 Pathfinder he cautioned me against do it. He said there is a wiring issue that can cause trouble if the car is not wired for these new bulbs. He didn't elaborate, so I'm taking what he said with a grain of salt.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

If YOU can't see at night without 'em -- that's YOUR problem. If I can't see because they are coming at me and blinding me, that's gonna BE YOUR problem...

Why do you think I still have my buggy whip...??? :twisted:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

BlaineG wrote: . Properly aim them after installation and you will be amazed how much better you can see, and you won't hack off the oncoming traffic.
Blaine, the problem is not with my headlights. It's the idiots on road with those lights who DONT aim them properly, and there isnt much I can do about how OTHER people aim their headlights, is there? Even from the factory, tall vehicles such as pickups will blind oncoming traffic in automobiles. I am sick and tired of the confounded things and will do all I can to get legislation passed banning them.

Might have to whack someone a few times with my buggy whip. :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Wow! I can't even ask questions about headlights without starting a fight. This is ridiculous.

jnyork, your comments remind me of the snooty shot gunners who want to ban handguns because they have no sporting purposes. Ridiculous is an understatement.

Perhaps we all should go back to horse drawn buggies with oil lamps on each corner. Would that sooth you guys that hate these new lights?

I'm done with this thread, might as well lock it down.

J :evil: e
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I lied .... I'm mad now. ANY TYPE OF HEADLIGHT ... INCANDESCENT ... HALOGEN ... HID XENON ..........ALL OF THEM WILL BLIND ON COMING DRIVERS IF THEY ARE MISS ALIGNED!

FOR CRYING OUT FREAKING LOUD GUYS ... PASS LEGISLATION TO BAN THEM. COME ON NOW. JNYORK, PERHAPS YOU SHOULD JUST STAY AT HOME ... PICK ONE, AND THAT WAY YOU WON'T BE INCONVENIENCED BY THOSE OF US WHO WANT TO SEE WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS IN FRONT OF US.

As I said above I'm driving a lot more at night now than I used to and at 58 yo I'd like to see what I'm about to run over. Yes ... about to run over. You see I got shanghaied into being my wife's back up pizza driver on the weekends and there is a certain race of people who have dark skin and insist on wearing dark clothing at night. These .... denizens of the dark flat out insist on running out in front of drivers in the darkest of areas.
I really do want to make sure I center punch the suckers so they don't suffer too much. For that I need better headlights.

You know .... kind of like jack lighting deer ...... :twisted: :twisted:

Joe

Joewhoisworriedandstressedabouthisbrotherwhoisinsurgerynow.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

From what I've the wiring issue is real. You'll need to run a heavier wire to the lights from the battery with a fuse and use your existing lights to control the relay. The HIDs use quite a bit more juice.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Joe, for most people those lights are a inconvenience for some people they are costly and deadly, because I have to drive at night hauling stock I had a spot light installed on the driverside of the cab that way I could light up the barrow pits on both sides of the road to check for wildlife cut down to zero on wreaks then these blue light specials come along and adjusted right or not they are blinding to those approaching and wildlife go stupid because of the color band they emit heck I had to hang a cattle guard off the front of the truck when a deer can go thru your radiator and inter cooler and fan it runs about 6K to fix a cummins diesel. If its a elk or moose somebodies going to get hurt and a buffalo/range cattle will kill you. And seems like those blue light boys cause they have that wonderful vision like to drive fast 70 and 80 at night with wildlife and range cattle all over it can drive a man to drink. danny :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Joe.....Uh, no one's mad and there is no fight (that I know of) :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Seems like another case of technology overrunning the human condition... Oh, and the "blue" lights are next to useless in a fog or heavy snowstorm. Both of which we get with some regularity around here...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I changed out to Sylvania SilverStar on the Motorcycle and they add about a fifty% improvement to the distance I can make out stuff. I'm really sorry for the jerks out there, but I'm going to Legally see at night.
Like someone said, the first 3 or 4 feet of a SuperDuty Turbo Diesel is half the cost of a truck 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I don't worry too much, only problem I have with head lights is when I switch on the high beams the recoil causes my old truck to slow down. Here in Florida during Snow Bird season, I believe it is the rule always drive with high beams on. When another car approaches from front or rear, aim for the side of the road. When coming up to a bridge or narrowing road swerve to the center using the lane marker for a guide. One foot on the gas and one on the brake, don't use turn signals until you are at least 3/4 way through the turn. Gotta love the old drivers, can't see at night but still have their drivers licenses. Good Luck on the HID lights. I liked the old ones which used an incandesent light bulb. Have a great day.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

J Miller wrote:I lied .... I'm mad now.
FOR CRYING OUT FREAKING LOUD GUYS ... PASS LEGISLATION TO BAN THEM. COME ON NOW. JNYORK, PERHAPS YOU SHOULD JUST STAY AT HOME ... PICK ONE, AND THAT WAY YOU WON'T BE INCONVENIENCED BY THOSE OF US WHO WANT TO SEE WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS IN FRONT OF US.
Joe, you need to take a few deep breaths. However, I dont really give a hoot if you are mad or not. Your selfish and inconsiderate attitude is that you are going to see better and to hell with other drivers who cant see anything at all. Really grownup of you, Joe.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jnyork wrote:
J Miller wrote:I lied .... I'm mad now.
Joe, you need to take a few deep breaths. However, I dont really give a hoot if you are mad or not. Your selfish and inconsiderate attitude is that you are going to see better and to hell with other drivers who cant see anything at all. Really grownup of you, Joe.
jnyork,
PUHLeeze, lets not insult each other ... accusing me of being "grown up"?
My official motto is: "I may grow old, but I refuse to grow up".

Anyway, I personally believe those of you who hate these lights are making an avalanche out of a snow ball, or a mountain out of a mole hill.
No offense intended to any of you but I see the same things you do and I don't have the problems you seem to. And if wanting to see what's in front of me is selfish and inconsiderate, then so be it. Technology ran past most of us 30 years ago. I'm still in the points and condenser era and hate the computerized vehicles with a passion. But I don't have the gobs of money it takes to keep the old ones going. If I did I'd still own my 68 Impala I sold a couple years ago.

And if lighting technology is so awful bad, why are these lights DOT approved? Why is halogen lights DOT approved? Why are we not still using incandescent lights then? Probably because these lights are an improvement even though in each case there is some individuals who will misuse them.

As for the wiring question I think the dealer was trying to blow smoke up my behind. I've been doing some research on these lamps, specifically the Sylvania Silver Star versions which included actually talking to someone who has installed these bulbs on every one of his vehicles from his 83 Ford on up. He states there is a significant improvement of vision with these lights and no electrical problems of any kind have happened.

So, I haven't made my decision weather or not to buy a set for our rice rockets yet, but I am seriously considering it. The biggest negative I can see is the cost and the fact they don't last as long as halogen bulbs. This is a serious factor to consider.

As for taking a breath, yeah that might be a good idea. Oh did you read this: Joewhoisworriedandstressedabouthisbrotherwhoisinsurgerynow.
Well, let me break it down for you:
Joe who is worried and stressed about his brother who is in surgery now.

So, lets realize that some of what I've posted here is tongue in cheek, and some is frustration, and most was an attempt at getting information.

Joe
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I didn't read the replies, but understand one thing, ALL the so-called improved headlights are designed around the FACT that the LAW allows a certain amount of WATTAGE for headlights, because the law never anticipated anything but ordinary white incansescant light. The "blue" lights, the H.I.D. lights, etc are specifically designed to cast MORE LIGHT than is LEGAL using a standard white light.
Now, why do ya suppose the standards exist at all? They exist to limit the blinding effect on oncoming traffic. Ya wanna SEE real good? What ya might see is two tons of my car wandering into your lane because ya blinded me......
Certified gun nut
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

That's pretty much my thoughts on the matter. too...

FWIW, a lot of folks around here use the High-output Halogen headlights, because their intensity/brightness -- AND WARMER COLOR -- allow better visibility at night, IF THEY ARE PROPERLY AIMED... They can be a HUGE help in avoiding collisions with wildlife on the road.

It isn't just the intensity of the blue lights that bothers oncoming drivers, but the fact that BLUE light has a tendency to blur other wavelengths of light coming into the eye, making it harder for the "victim" to see anything at all.
Regards

Buck

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

adirondakjack wrote:I didn't read the replies, but understand one thing, ALL the so-called improved headlights are designed around the FACT that the LAW allows a certain amount of WATTAGE for headlights, because the law never anticipated anything but ordinary white incansescant light. The "blue" lights, the H.I.D. lights, etc are specifically designed to cast MORE LIGHT than is LEGAL using a standard white light.
Now, why do ya suppose the standards exist at all? They exist to limit the blinding effect on oncoming traffic. Ya wanna SEE real good? What ya might see is two tons of my car wandering into your lane because ya blinded me......
A-jack, so what you are saying is these new technology lamps that do not exceed 50 watts are illegal even though they are DOT approved? I don't comprehend that, I must be missing something here.
Buck Elliott wrote:That's pretty much my thoughts on the matter. too...
Well, I'm glad neither of you are in IL then. You'd be running over just about every other car/truck/suv in the state.

Joe
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I'm glad I'm not in IL too ---- for a huge variety of reasons... :P
Regards

Buck

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Buck Elliott wrote:I'm glad I'm not in IL too ---- for a huge variety of reasons... :P
Yeah, on the serious side, I wish I wasn't in IL ... for a bunch of reasons.

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWIW, a lot of folks around here use the High-output Halogen headlights, because their intensity/brightness -- AND WARMER COLOR -- allow better visibility at night, IF THEY ARE PROPERLY AIMED... They can be a HUGE help in avoiding collisions with wildlife on the road.

It isn't just the intensity of the blue lights that bothers oncoming drivers, but the fact that BLUE light has a tendency to blur other wavelengths of light coming into the eye, making it harder for the "victim" to see anything at all.
Buck, there are some special night driving glasses for you real old guys that make the night vision almost like you were 75 again..... :twisted:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

If they are oncoming and bother me I usually hit 'em with a high beam wig-wag and they generally dim the lights if they can. Some vehicles can't aim the lights any lower due to the vehicle being too tall. Those are often stopped by LEOs whose eyes are blinded by them. I don't want to necessarily see them banned, just some common decency used in applying them. My wife's Honda has them, they are adjusted correctly and are not a bother to oncoming traffic.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

This reminds of what John Hay said of Theodore Roosevelt: "You must remember that the president is about six!"
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I been doing some reading, might be of interest:

Assessment of Headlamp Glare And Potential Countermeasures:The Effects of Headlamp Mounting Height
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DO ... 10-947.pdf

Visual Benefits of High-Intensity Discharge
Automotive Forward Lighting
http://www.lightingresearch.org/program ... 1-0259.pdf

Joe
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I keep saying I'm going to get rich someday.

I'm going to invent a device that will shatter every blue light and fog/driving light that has power to it (turned on) within 2000 feet of an oncoming car. Problem is, I'm such a sucker I'd give them out free to folks that wanted them...too soft hearted, I guess.

I don't know (or care) why, but the blue lights blind me and I hate them. I also detest people who don't understand that fog/driving lights are to be used when you are on the road by yourself and not meeting other traffic. My driving lights will light the road way on the interstate from fence to fence. I would be crazy not to know that if they shine fence to fence, they must also blind oncoming cars. I never use 'em. (One is broke anyway...don't get me started on city-fied engineers who install lights and plastic parts low-down on the bumper of a 4 wheel drive truck. I guess they never saw one get off the pavement before?!?!)

I wouldn't go so far as to ban all the aforementioned lights...
....but I would support legislation to make it legal to flog anyone caught with them on in traffic. :twisted:

Pass that law and I'll go yank the wiring harness on my one lone driving light right now!
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

vance, umm don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

I have to say I do agree with you about the fog lights though. My Pathfinder has a set and I've yet to use them other than to turn them on to see if they work.

Joe
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I hate em!! Nuf said! :evil:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

J Miller wrote:vance, umm don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

I have to say I do agree with you about the fog lights though. My Pathfinder has a set and I've yet to use them other than to turn them on to see if they work.

Joe

Ha. I was just watching "Patriot Games" the other day. "This is me holding my temper, Jimmy-boy." :lol:

Like you said, Joe. We don't want to ban guns, just the idiots who point them willy-nilly. (I paraphrased a little :D )
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ha. I was just watching "Patriot Games" the other day. "This is me holding my temper, Jimmy-boy."
:lol: This is me using what is legal to see and be seen better, especially on my Goldwing :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't use headlights at all. Every now and then I let out a burst from the Ma Deuce thats mounted on the hood of my Jeep and let the tracers light the way.

Hey, this is the East Coast.-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

I'm only 26 and I cant see stuff driving down here in louisiana. When I'm alone on the road I can see alright but the oncoming traffic always blinds me. My eyes don't adjust as fast as they used too, I can only imagine how you older guys must have it. I think its the fact that every redneck down here jacks his truck up or at least puts bigger tires on it (And everything on the road is a truck just about). None of them know the concept of aiming the lights. I'm in a truck myself and they all seem right in my face. I can see about 30ft in front of my vehicle, beyond that only high contrast objects. Then my eyes settle in and I can start to see! but another blinding light comes by. BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I've gotten to the point where I hit them with my high beams and leave them on just to let them know what I think of them and to allow me to see at least a little. I'm sure my -6.5 prescription doesnt help, but I can see in my pitch black bedroom fine with only the light from my alarm clock...
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

I hate the "blue lights" too. If it's an adjustment problem, it seems like almost everybody who has them on their car has them improperly adjusted.

Yes, I understand wanting to see when you're driving, whatever it is you drive. But, as the man said, "Your right to swing your fist wildly in the air ENDS where my nose begins."

More than 90% of the time these blue lights blind me almost completely. So, I should be blinded because someone else won't get glasses ? Or slow down enough to see the road while using normal headlights ?

It might be that some of us are more sensitive to these darned things than others, I don't know. What I do know is that, on a dark night a car approaching me with those darned lights isn't much different than someone snapping a flash unit in my eyes. Very inconsiderate, and very unsafe. I hate 'em. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Here's a concept for you...

DON'T OUTDRIVE YOUR HEADLIGHTS.

In other words if you can't see, slow down. I know that's a foreign concept to most people, to slow down for anything but maybe you should try it some time.

It's like an older driver once told me when coming down mountains in the big truck.

You might come down a mountain a whole lot of times too slow, but you'll only come down once too fast.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

One thing about the blue lights is that they look so much different than normal headlights that your attention (and eyes) are drawn to them, so you are more inclined to look right at them, increasing the blinding effect.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

claybob86 wrote:One thing about the blue lights is that they look so much different than normal headlights that your attention (and eyes) are drawn to them, so you are more inclined to look right at them, increasing the blinding effect.
Aha! Now that makes sense.

Joe
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I don't particularly like them. But I don't think they need to be banned either, we have enough GOVERNMENT interference in our life now. I remember way back (over 40 yrs ago) in high school drivers ed, the instructor said " if on coming lights tend to blind you, shift your eyes and focus on the edge of the road, you tend to steer where you look". I have also slowed down when night driving, usually 5-10 mph less than posted limit, account of my night vision being less than when I was younger. There are ways to cope with almost any situation. Joe as for the black on black walking in the road in the dark, they are responsible for their own well being. Avoid them if you can, if you can't, it's ain't your fault.
UNITE
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mokwaw wrote:I don't particularly like them. But I don't think they need to be banned either, we have enough GOVERNMENT interference in our life now. I remember way back (over 40 yrs ago) in high school drivers ed, the instructor said " if on coming lights tend to blind you, shift your eyes and focus on the edge of the road, you tend to steer where you look". I have also slowed down when night driving, usually 5-10 mph less than posted limit, account of my night vision being less than when I was younger. There are ways to cope with almost any situation. Joe as for the black on black walking in the road in the dark, they are responsible for their own well being. Avoid them if you can, if you can't, it's ain't your fault.
I was taught the exact same thing in High School Drivers Ed. It works as well as anything when oncoming drivers don't dim their lights.

As for reducing speed at night I don't. I drive around 5mph over the limit most of time. (that usually puts me in the slow lane) Sometimes I'll hold to the limit, but I almost never drive under the limit unless there is something hazardous going on. I've learned that to drive that much under the limit creates a hazard of it's own. Drivers coming up from behind at night don't always have the visual perception to realize the driver in front is going that slow and can easily slam right into them.

As a matter of fact my oldest Aunt had too many tickets so they pulled her drivers license. "Most" of the tickets were for driving too slow and creating a hazard.

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: It's interesting that gun owners and 2nd Amendment supporters would want to Ban something because they "don't like them" or that they "might" be dangerous...... :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

J Miller wrote:
adirondakjack wrote:I didn't read the replies, but understand one thing, ALL the so-called improved headlights are designed around the FACT that the LAW allows a certain amount of WATTAGE for headlights, because the law never anticipated anything but ordinary white incansescant light. The "blue" lights, the H.I.D. lights, etc are specifically designed to cast MORE LIGHT than is LEGAL using a standard white light.
A-jack, so what you are saying is these new technology lamps that do not exceed 50 watts are illegal even though they are DOT approved? I don't comprehend that, I must be missing something here.
Well, I'm glad neither of you are in IL then. You'd be running over just about every other car/truck/suv in the state.

Joe

They are legal according to the letter of the law BECAUSE when laws were written the ONLY way they had to measure light was XXX watts, and they assumed all lights would be relatively equal if wattage was the same. The limits on wattage were INTENDED TO limit brightness (ya can't run 200 watt headlights) and failed to take into account the new technology that is DESIGNED TO create brighter than "standard" lights by end running around an obsolete method of measuring that doesn't take different light types into account.

if yer HID light is AS BRIGHT AS a 100 watt incandescent bulb, it may be legal, and all that good stuff, but is as BRIGHT AS an ILLEGAL 100 Watt bulb and is just as dangerous. Try riding a motorcyle or driving a low slung car and having an escalade with them bright sum(bellies) behind you, let alone in an oncoming lane..... They are BRUTAL! I HAVE been forced off the road by an aggressive driver with a high vehicle (F350 pickup) riding my backside and blinding me on the bike. I couldn't quickly twist both mirrors to deflect the harsh glare, and there was scant room, but I got off on a GRAVEL shoulder to get away from him. That is bad juju. NORMAL lights, combined with adequate following distance (another antiquated concept) works.

My most recent vehicle acquisition is a van. the headlights are not that high off the road, but they are higher than those of a car. I am acutely aware of that when following a car at night, and don't LET MYSELF crawl up their butt. Something about the ONLY rule we ever needed, the one we learned inkindergarten comes to mind DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU.
Certified gun nut
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

This thread just reminded me that I need to put 6 KC lights
on top of my F-350.... :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

RIHMFIRE wrote:This thread just reminded me that I need to put 6 KC lights
on top of my F-350.... :wink:
Only 6? You sure that's enough light? I only had two on my Land Cruiser and they lit up the whole world.

Does KC still make the Daylighters?

Joe