accurize M94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hiram
Levergunner

accurize M94

Post by hiram »

New guy here. Hello.

I'm at a point where I can't believe my loads are as innaccurate as they seem, I think it is the rifle.

I read the article by P Kelly on accurizing a M94. I am a little mixed up.

The article says to measure back 2" from the front of the forearm and cut grooves for a piece of drill rod. It seems this acts as a standoff and helps to hold the forearm in place.

In the next paragraph, it says the drill rod is at the chamber end(?).

If it was installed 2" from the front of the forearm, how can the rod be at the chamber end which is the rear of the forearm?

Thanks for any help.
Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: accurize M94

Post by J Miller »

Hiram,

First let me welcome you to the forum.
Second, let me tell you your name gave me a wee bit of a start. It's my dads first name too. You don't see many people with that first name.

As for the 94, are talking Marlin 1894 or Winchester 94? Now I've been shooting Winchester 94s for eons, well maybe not that long but since about 1965 so I kinda know a bit about them.
How is the accuracy? Most of mine were capable of 2" @ 100 yards when I did my job and the ammo was good. A couple would go 1.5" on a really squeaky nice day.
A couple others would hold a 3" no matter what.

Now I'll have to admit it's been a time since I read Paco's article so I can only think that the discrepancy is a typo. As long as the rod is in the meaty part of the barrel it should work.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
hiram
Levergunner

Post by hiram »

Nice to meet you Joe.

Hiram Abif
Hiram Maxim
Hiram Walker
and now your Dad and myself --- an impressive list.

Winchester M94. I ahve tried about 20 loads at 50 yds. I have had occasional good groups, and then when I repeat the load, its all over--not even a hint of being similar to the first group.

I have tried a group buy bullet from cast boolits--150 gr, gc, 3 crimp groove, Lee 150 gc, and Lyman 311291 (not tried much with this one).
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome Hiram!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

How does it shoot with jacketed /factory loads? Maybe the barrel needs a good cleaning or you need to slug the barrel if you want to shoot cast.
Welcome from the great white north.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If you are shooting off bags, it is imperative that the forearm rest on the bag in the exact same place during each shot. One or my 94s shoots a full 2" left off bags vs my hands.

On my 94s, I made sure the forearm only touches the barrel at the receiver and the band, I can slip a piece of paper between the barrel and forearm in all other places. I also make sure the barrel and mag tube are fairly free of each other at the front band.

One of my 94s had a restriction at the rear dovetail I lapped out. One of my 94s has an oversized bore and requires a fat bullet when shooting cast bullets. Slugging the barrel on your gun will expose those.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
hiram
Levergunner

Post by hiram »

I had slugged the barrel.

It is .309. I sized the bullets .311 and when I didn't get favorable accuracy, I tried .313 bullets. No difference. I never shot jacketed bullets from this rifle.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

hiram wrote:I had slugged the barrel.

It is .309. I sized the bullets .311 and when I didn't get favorable accuracy, I tried .313 bullets. No difference. I never shot jacketed bullets from this rifle.
Betcha box of primers if you go buy a box of factory ammo that 94 will behave itself. I've never shot lead from mine as up until recently I didn't have any. But jacketed is what the 94s were and are designed for.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

hiram wrote: I read the article by P Kelly on accurizing a M94. I am a little mixed up.
The article says to measure back 2" from the front of the forearm and cut grooves for a piece of drill rod. It seems this acts as a standoff and helps to hold the forearm in place.
In the next paragraph, it says the drill rod is at the chamber end(?).
I realize we've not answered your actual question... :oops:

I have that article somewhere, and will try to find it. However I didn't actually DO those modifications, so I can't answer authoritatively. I remember it seemed to make sense when I read it, though, so maybe I interpreted it differently.

Hopefully someone will sign on who is more familiar with Paco's actual method there.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I did the modification and it made no difference, in saying that that trapper had issues. The one before it shot around 2"'100yds with out me touching the gun! Go figure.

Best of luck with it, hope it works out.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

J Miller wrote:
hiram wrote:I had slugged the barrel.

Betcha box of primers if you go buy a box of factory ammo that 94 will behave itself. I've never shot lead from mine as up until recently I didn't have any. But jacketed is what the 94s were and are designed for.

Joe
My model 94's shoot very accurately with Lyman 311041--in fact, just as accurately as my jacketed loads.

John
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome.

My advice is to strip off the forend and mag tube. Shoot it as a single shot b4 you modify anything. Make SURE it's assembled CORRECTLY, b4 doin' anything.

I just typed in detailed instructions and POOF lost 'em. I'll redo 'em later... when I'm not "piloting." :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
quietman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by quietman »

If you want more info on making a levergun more accurate, get a copy of the book "Accurizing the Factory Rifle"

The book has about equal coverage of bolts and levers with info on semi autos and single shots.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Hiram: do you really know Hiram Abif? -- you must be a "traveling man"....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
hiram
Levergunner

Post by hiram »

Here's the link to the article.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/chapter23.htm

Ray--Now that I am retired, I hope to travel more.