OT: Re-springing sprung steel...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

OT: Re-springing sprung steel...

Post by Old Ironsights »

So, I've got this old beater 91/30 that shoots well, but has an issue with the lifter spring - it don't lift. I've been able to fudge it by shimming it with a hunk-o-lead, but it reduces the mag capacity by one:

The spring is removable, the question is, which would be easier, finding a new one, or re-springing it with some sort of heat treatment?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Re-springing sprung steel...

Post by Nath »

I had this trouble with a BSA Hunter in hornet, or was it a Vixen, any way turned out it had a hair line crack in the spring . I fiddled trying to make spring but could not get it to work so I broke down and bought some mag springs and never looked back once one was fitted.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I make my flat springs from a spring steel stock assortment I got from Brownells. I harden the finished spring by heating to cherry red(1500F) with a torch and quenching in oil, then temper by immersing in molten lead at 700 degrees F until the lead no longer sticks to the steel, then cooling slowly. If you want to be more scientific about the temperatures you can use a dab of Tempilaq heat sensitive paint to indicate the end points.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Im going to use that info,Thanks.Nice to learn something new every day...
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

A replacement spring should not be very hard or expensive to find. But here is a very simple and easy technique for re-tempering a flat spring.

Place the spring in a shallow metal container. A Jar lid works well. Pour in enough motor oil to just cover the spring, and set the oil afire. Needless to say, I hope, is that this should be done OUTSIDE in a safe area. Let the oil burn until it is competely consumed, and as soon as the flames go out smother the spring in wood ash (ash from a charcoal grill works well) and let it cool completely. This will take an hour or so, at least. The spring should be no more than warm when you dig it out, and preferably completely cold.

This technique is well known among traditional muzzleloader gunsmiths, and works remarkably well. When a small spring in the lock of one of my muzzleloaders broke a while back, I made a new one out of a large, stout safety pin and tempered it it this manner. It is still performing flawlessly 10 years later.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

TX PE No. 75665.
A spring set temper is a low-temperature heat treatment, typically below the Mf temperature.
350-500oF is all you need.
Mechanically bend the spring to get the correct tension you need, using radiused spring-bending pliers.
http://www.micromark.com/METAL-FORMING- ... ,7068.html
Then you can temper it in your oven - it only needs a 15-min. soak.

I bend and temper leaf springs all the time for reel repairs.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Its not hard to retemper or make a spring. Heres a link to an easy method I copied with permission from the Marlin collectors site for Marlin owners reference area. I'v done it many times now & it works great both to restore an old sprung spring or make a new one.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 406.0.html
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Thanks all. Now I've just got to wait for a decent day to work outside...

I've got an old Kiwi can that will work just jum dandy for the oil/ash method.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!