OT-Bullet mould spray release

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

OT-Bullet mould spray release

Post by firefuzz »

Have any of you ever tried any of these new spray-on release agents for your cast bullet moulds? I bought a can of one containing graphite to give a try and was just wondering what if any experience with them was on the board.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: OT-Bullet mould spray release

Post by Terry Murbach »

GRAPHITE WORKS FINE. WE HAVE ALWAYS USED AN OLD STYLE KITCHEN MATCH TO SMOKE THE INSIDE OF THE MOULD. IT PUTS THE SAME STUFF IN THE MOULD AND OFF ME GO TO MORE FREE BULLETS.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I got a can of the stuff from Midway, pretty good stuff to gunk up your molds with. :x
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Just a plain old wooden match works fine for me.
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

+3 on the kitchen matches.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I have used matches & candles to smoke a mold and have cast with a bare mold, both steel, aluminum, and brass and never had a problem. However I have used Midway's spray on mold release for probably 15 years now and it is great stuff. What I like most is that it lubes the sprue plate and the base pin and sliding retainer (mini ball molds) so that they work much smoother. It doesn't gum up a mold or give any problems and I havn't seen any rust on a mold that it has been used on though I do take very good care of them. I highly recomend it.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Never tried the spray on stuf but, Rapine Mold Prep applied with a q-tip is hard to beat.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I've always used the kitchen matches and had few problems, but I've got a couple of molds that no matter how well I "soot" them up are relunctant to release the bullets. I'll let you know how this works out.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Those spray on mold releases are truly good ways to gunk up a mold. Kitchen matches have long been used to "smoke" a mold before use, and they work OK. Lately there's been quite a bit of discussion on another website about the use of Kroil on molds. I tried it myself on an aluminum mold, and after a long break-in period, it seemed to work even better than matches. You have to apply very sparingly though, and wipe the stuff off with a Q-tip, because it takes a really long time to burn away--but afterwards my experience is that the bullets do drop out very nicely.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have never tried any spray, but for many years I have used NEI Mold-Prep, which is graphite in an alcohol carrier. I paint the cavities with this stuff using a Q-Tip (Cotton Bud for you Brits). The old match works, but I have found Mold-Prep to be easier, more uniform and less burned fingers.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I'm not allowed to play with matches so I use Frankford Arsenal Drop-Out on my 6-cavity Big Lube aluminium moulds. Works great and seems to last forever.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I use the midway spray.just spray a small amount on a Q-tip and put on a VERY light cote.bullets drop easy and no gunks ups.a little goes along way.
pete
DAV life member.