Which is more desireable M95 or 1886?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Which is more desireable M95 or 1886?

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Ok, in a little bit of a tussle with my brother-in-law, he owes me a few bucks(for almost three years now) and is finally trying to make ammends. He is offering me, my choice of a NIB Browning 1886 w/Octagon barrel (identical to mine, actually we bought them together and his serial # is the next consecutive #) or a NIB Winchester 1895 Takedown chambered for the .405. He only owes me a grand, but he has owed it for three years. He is also asking that I hold the one I pick for a year, but I know that'll never happen unless he wins the lottery. I have a Browning identical to his and I do have a 1895 Winchester in .405, but not a takedown. Is either one more desireable than the other?
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Which is more desireable M95 or 1886?

Post by jhrosier »

Take them both and give back the one that you don't want, in a year or so. :lol:

Jack
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

New 1886's, like old 1886's are considerably more desirable than '95's--assumming standard gun for standard gun.

You will have loads more fun and versatality shooting the 1886 than the '95 but you already own an '86 Browning and a 95 in 405.

Comes down to money. The 86 is an easier sale and will bring more money after your one year hiatus. Ain't no biggie on the takedown Browning--it would be on an original '95.

Snag the '86--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Sixgun wrote:Snag the '86--------------Sixgun
+1

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would take the Browning 1886 as it doesn't have the lawyer switch and you already have a .405. You see that Browning has possibilities in that the barrel can be shortened, turned half-round and mag converted to button mag. Put a good receiver sight and shotgun butt on that baby and you have a near ideal hunting rifle. Ok, near ideal for me, but, well it is MY advice YOU asked for... :wink:

Is one or the other worth more money? I would spend more on the Browning. Did I mention the tang safety?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jhrosier wrote:Take them both and give back the one that you don't want, in a year or so.
That WOULD motivate him to come up with the cash... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Obviously it's a personal decision and me, personally, would go for the '86.
Old Law Dawg
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Hey, trade him 95,s and take the 86.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

kimwcook wrote:Obviously it's a personal decision and me, personally, would go for the '86.

+1
NRA Life Member
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

It would be a tougher call for me since I have nether. I have a Browning 1895 in 30-06 that's a great shooter. But consecutive serial number 1886 would have more value down the road. Tough call.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Heck, you already have one of each. Take the 1895, then I will give you a grand for it!
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

86 Browning is probably the best lever action rifle ever made, with modern steel, Browning's top class workmanship and no tang safety or rebounding hammer, they are as close to an old Winchester as you will ever get.
Plus if you already have one the same with consecutive serial, you'll be sitting on a fortune in a few years, to me there is nothing to think about the 86 wins hands down.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

The consecutive serial numbers would be the deal maker for me, both are good guns. I'd go with the '86.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Thanks guys, sealed the deal, called him and said I would pick up the 1886 Browning. He asked to make sure it was the Browning I wanted, then mentioned he was hoping I would take the Winchester instead. I told him I would take the Browning and offered him $500 for the Winchester....we'll see how far that goes. Boy, times have really changed, back when he and I bought the Brownings brand new, we must have been rolling in dough because he and I bought 2-1886's, 2-M71's and 2-1886 High Grade' all in consecutive serial numbers. Our wives didn't even get that angry....those were the times. I still have my '86 and my M71, but I gave my High Grade to my father as a present ten years ago or so.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

NOW....take the '86 send it to Mike Hunter and have it redone for the 50-110...then you'll have a really nice pair of '86s...

Ed
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'd take the '86. You can do some real nice things with a Browning 86.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

I would just leave them as Browning 1886's and everytime you look in the mirror think how lucky you are to have them.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

I have an '86 and would take it over the '95 which I have held and just don't like the way it feels. It is a personal thing but if I were you I would hold carry and do what ever with them both and take the one I liked best. Also since the serial numbers are so close on the '86 I would lean that way as someday you just might want to give one to someone special and that would be a really neat thing to be just one digit apart.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I'd take the 86, as I only have 1----- already have 3 1895's :D
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Well I'll take another view. You already have an 86, so I say go for the 95 in .405 Win.

I have both. I use my 95, in .405 Win.much more. I hunt with it, elk, bear, deer, whatever. This is one of my favorite rifles. My 86 will go before the 95 goes that is for sure. Good luck, either way you win.

:wink:
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

The 86 is sweet and sexy yep I am a shallow guy the 95Win is the fugleist( is that a word?) Lever made. Had too be honest yep 95s are kinda nice, but dam they ugly!But I am a strange one I love the Savage 99, for it's 300 the first to get close to a 06 in a true lever.But
love my 86 as it's heavy but in a cool .33 win Cal and has some thump, but looks like a lever should nothing hanging of it like that big box mag of the 95. But of course I am bad too for wanting to stick a scope on my 92 clone, but it's really just to see what it can do!Really it is my eyes are not that good anymore!

Bottom line go with your gut do not listen to any of us we are all full of it, personal opinions lol. And just have have fun with your toy's and bag a Deer or two or drop a Moose or pop a Elk or tumble a Bear.
Now a 95 Marlin is a sexy gun If I say more the mods will Censor me lol. Ah never mind a gun is just a tool Right?
I can not place a value on a gun unless I really want it or like it.