there might be something to this 30-30...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

there might be something to this 30-30...

Post by El Chivo »

I went shooting today to finalize sight settings for my new 30-30 silhouette load. 16.5 grains of IMR4227 with a 150 grain copper coated lead bullet.

Well this cartridge is the bee's knees! I'm used to seeing rams tip over slowly and fall - these flopped to the ground like they were spring loaded. And accurate? Five rams went down in six shots, and the miss was my shank.

My initial shots were to a 50 meter swinger. I started off high, but the shots still hit - the rod that the target hangs on. Pinpoint accuracy, downrange energy, what more could I ask for?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: there might be something to this 30-30...

Post by AJMD429 »

You're hallucinating.

Without an improved shoulder-angle, the velocity won't be enough to make it out past 50 yards or so, and without a 'belt' on the case, the power wouldn't be enough to knock a target over.

Just ask some of the guys who write for gun magazines... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

A 30-30 has absoutely no ability to knock over anything at a distance of more than 4 feet you must be hallucinating. I am a certified 30-30 disposal engineer and I recommend you pack all that junk ammo and that miserable excuse for a rifle in a box send it to me and I will get rid of it for you. You may then go buy a $3000.00 glossy stocked innnaccurate 600 whizbangdeerassassinsupermagnum for all your plinking and varmint shooting (at only $85.00 a box ammo should be stock piled too). shheeesh some people thinking they can shoot a 30-30 these days don't you know it lost it's lethality 75 years ago.Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Chivo wrote:I went shooting today to finalize sight settings for my new 30-30 silhouette load. 16.5 grains of IMR4227 with a 150 grain copper coated lead bullet.

Well this cartridge is the bee's knees! I'm used to seeing rams tip over slowly and fall - these flopped to the ground like they were spring loaded. And accurate? Five rams went down in six shots, and the miss was my shank.

My initial shots were to a 50 meter swinger. I started off high, but the shots still hit - the rod that the target hangs on. Pinpoint accuracy, downrange energy, what more could I ask for?
El Chivo,

Ain't it great when things work out well? No BS from me I know the capabilities for the 30-30.
What I was wondering is who makes those copper plated bullets?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

HEY ! ! I though lead core bullets were made verbotten in Kali by Arnold.

AND...............................................

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT SOME PICS ! ! ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hecter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hecter »

My favorite cast load in a 30-30 is 16gr. of 4227 under a 169gr. bullet. I think a 311291 cast bullet would have good knock down power.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Joe Miller: a source for .30 WCF 150 gr. copper plated Pb bullets:

http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c34-B ... llets.aspx

How well do they work? With their .30 WCF bullets and the Browning Traditional Hunter, sporting a Leopold 6.5x20, the rifle and load will easily and consistently group under 2" at 200 yards for 5 consecutive shots. This rivals the better groups that I shot with Speer .30 WCF bullets.

The only "drawback" to the .30 WCF bullets is that velocity can not exceed 1700 FPS. Berry sets this limit because the thin jacket could peel off the bullet.

Berry has various copper plated pistol bullets that work very well. I've been loading their bullets for several years now and am very well satisfied with the performance of their .45 Colt & ACP., 38/357, 40, and .41 calibre bullets.

See the Berry home page for more information --
www.berrysmfg.com/default.aspx?n=401263
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ray,

Thanks for the info and link. I've used other types of plated bullets, but no rifle ones. Perhaps I should give them a try.

Questions:
>When you seat these plated bullets do you bell the case mouth or just seat them like jacketed bullets?
>And where would data be found to keep the bullets under or at 1700fps?

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Wed May 26, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Joe check your PM's.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ray,

Checked and answered.

Joe
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Joe, I got them from here:

http://www.mcssl.com/store/2254068/catalog/search

It's a different brand than the Berry's, these are made in Carson City, NV. I also use their pistol bullets at the indoor range.

Much cheaper than jacketed, and your hands don't get all leaded up after handling them. As far as the velocity, I'm trying to stay around 1600. Some have told me the limit is 1200-1300, so we'll see but right now my bore is clean as a whistle (actually cleaner since my whistle is caked with spit).

Lead bullets out of my 30-30's were all over the place - these bullets did the trick. When testing, it was quite a thrill to see my first few shots enlarging the same hole at 25 yards.

Sorry no pics I would have had to take a video.

Arnold still allows us lead bullets for target shooting. This is going to be my silhouette load for a while.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Chivo,

Thanks for the link. Those are better prices.

Joe
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

fordwannabe wrote:A 30-30 has absoutely no ability to knock over anything at a distance of more than 4 feet you must be hallucinating. I am a certified 30-30 disposal engineer and I recommend you pack all that junk ammo and that miserable excuse for a rifle in a box send it to me and I will get rid of it for you. You may then go buy a $3000.00 glossy stocked innnaccurate 600 whizbangdeerassassinsupermagnum for all your plinking and varmint shooting (at only $85.00 a box ammo should be stock piled too). shheeesh some people thinking they can shoot a 30-30 these days don't you know it lost it's lethality 75 years ago.Tom
Yes, and you need to be stylishly attired in your tactical cammies, with black webgear, in order to make the picture complete.