I need some Dutch help with names...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

I need some Dutch help with names...

Post by Hobie »

particularly "BARENTSE". Can anyone help?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I need some Dutch help with names...

Post by 20cows »

particularly "BARENTSE". Can anyone help?
Do you mean help in how it's pronounced?

I don't know what the Dutch would do with that string of letters, but the Deutschers (Germans) would say, "bear-ent-say" with the first syllable accented.
Hankster
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hankster »

Run it by my folks tomorrow.. they both came over on the boat!! From Amsterdam...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It took me a while to properly phrase the search but I've uncovered and confirmed, child of Barent. As to pronunciation... Now there's a story. I pronounce "Barent" as Barnt and have found it written (obviously phonetically) as Bornt for both Dutch AND German families (isn't that interesting but the name is also used by Swedes) with the earliest family usage being about 1611. However, I've also heard native speakers pronounce it bay-rent or bear-ent. The diminutive is Barney (I think we can all pronounce that). What is interesting is that my father wanted to name me after my 2x great-grandfather who was known as Barney and he assumed that the correct given name was Barent BUT we discovered that that grandfather was Barney Alonzo. Dad was disappointed until we were able to prove that there are multiple men with the name Barent in the family some of whom were referred to as Barney to differentiate between generations and/or cousins. There are also a couple of men named Barna (not Barnaby). I don't know if one can be assured that modern pronunciations are the same as those of 320 years ago.

This is all pretty boring if you aren't interested in genealogical work.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Not to get too OT, but I'm very interested in geneological research for my family. Is there any way to thoroughly research a family tree without paying for one of those geneology websites? I've been trying to track down my family's roots, but I really don't know how to go about it.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That's a great question. Frankly, I've done it the old fashioned way and Ancestry.com is WAY cheaper. The thing is that using any source/aid one has to be a bit of a critical thinker.

The first thing to do is to make a rough tree. Start with yourself or your child at the top and write down every relative along with birth and/or death dates (AND locations) you can think of as far back as you can. If you are fortunate enough to have parents and/or grandparents (or aunts or uncles) alive, ask them to help you with the names. Be prepared to "waste" a lot of time on hilarious family stories. BTW, IME you should invest in a pocket digital voice recorder before you go. Any information you can glean is going to be a help.

Now the slogging begins. I used to do it all on paper. I'm a firm believer in using a program like Family Tree Maker. Yes, it is an investment. Be sure to back it up, too. You can do it on Ancestry.com without the program, but I like to keep things local, so to speak.

As to Ancestry.com, you don't need to pay for the overseas assets unless you get to that point that you can't do without it. HOWEVER, unless you want to travel to those places and look up those documents yourself you might consider it.

I've taken most every line for my grandson back to the point of immigration. I have 10,019 individuals, 2568 marriages, 1793 different surnames, and this in only 19 generations. I don't know how I could manage this without the computer. BUT as I said, you can get started without it.

If you'd like you can contact me via e-mail and we'll see how we can help you along.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:twisted: Let's take a vote on what to call you..... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Go to Genforum. If you know you grand parents, or further back, that can get you started on your search. Another site is Morman Family Geneology. I have my line traced back to 600 AD in Ulster, Ireland. It took about 6 years to complete. Be careful of spelling changes of the surname through the years. Both sites are free.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

This is all pretty boring if you aren't interested in genealogical work.
I am a namesake of my gg grandfather who came to Texas in about 1845. I am the only one in a six generation string from my mother's side (my son is the most recent) that doesn't bear the name Archie, (Mom was supposed to be a boy and they didn't let the fact that she wasn't stop them).

Yeah, it's pretty interesting stuff!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Thanks for the info. I have a fairly good knowledge of my family going back 3 or 4 generations. I am fortunate enough to have all of my grandparents still alive, and my last ggrandparent just passed away 2 months ago, but over the years I have learned much from her. I don't know how far back I want to go with this, I am mainly interested in when we came to this country and where we first settled. I'm sure that when I get that far I'll want to go all the way with it.

I know my family has been here at least since the early 1800's, and as far as I can tell settled in Tennessee very early on. Then moved to Oklahoma in the mid 1800's, and eventually Texas.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Senior Levergunner

Re: I had a Dutch uncle

Post by 2571 »

I got all the way back to the 1600's doing it all by hand and on microfiche. Spent a small fortune in parking meter fees outside the main public library here in Detroit.

Very rewarding when you find a family member you have been searching for.

The final results and $1.85 will buy you a cup of coffee.
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

Hobie wrote:It took me a while to properly phrase the search but I've uncovered and confirmed, child of Barent. As to pronunciation... Now there's a story. I pronounce "Barent" as Barnt and have found it written (obviously phonetically) as Bornt for both Dutch AND German families (isn't that interesting but the name is also used by Swedes) with the earliest family usage being about 1611. However, I've also heard native speakers pronounce it bay-rent or bear-ent.

Barent is a very common Dutch name.. more so then German. The "A" sounds a bit like the one in "apple" but not quite LOL.. I guess Bear-ent is pretty close !!! :D
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

wilko wrote:
Hobie wrote:It took me a while to properly phrase the search but I've uncovered and confirmed, child of Barent. As to pronunciation... Now there's a story. I pronounce "Barent" as Barnt and have found it written (obviously phonetically) as Bornt for both Dutch AND German families (isn't that interesting but the name is also used by Swedes) with the earliest family usage being about 1611. However, I've also heard native speakers pronounce it bay-rent or bear-ent.

Barent is a very common Dutch name.. more so then German. The "A" sounds a bit like the one in "apple" but not quite LOL.. I guess Bear-ent is pretty close !!! :D
Funny thing is that we don't think ANYONE pronounced it that way. The latest to have it (other than myself) apparently pronounced as I do, Barn-tuh and he was only 2nd generation and his father was first generation, with the same name.

I was more interested in the "-se" which indicates the person is a child of thus "Barentse" is "child of Barent" in concept.
Sincerely,

Hobie

wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

I was more interested in the "-se" which indicates the person is a child of thus "Barentse" is "child of Barent" in concept.
In concept yes.. But a very common name in Holland is also "De Boer" (translate as farmer) which does not mean a person with that name is actually a farmer LOL..

just a side note.. my wife gave up on trying to speak dutch as she could not get the pronounciation (sp?) right :D
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I worked at it pretty hard years ago. With just a little luck you stand a fair chance of finding some other relatives researching the same names then sort of pool your info. The biggest best tool is the morman site. I live in utah and have never been in a morman church.
One great grand father of mine was a fuller. Most of the work on that branch was done for me as he can be traced all the way back to the mayflower.
I know what you mean with the name spelling thing. My grandfather and about 6 brothers came over in the 1890s. Almost all of them spelled my name werch different. Wuerch, wirch, wurch, even wuerg etc.
On top of that it seems they put about 8 first names in a hat and kept drawing them out of the hat for many generations! You know, gottlieb, gustov, friedrick, willhelm, ludwig, franz etc. Not only that, but if a kid didnt make it, grandpa would use the same name again on another one!
My grandfather lost his 1st wife and was left young with 6 kids. Grandma was a very young widow with one, came over from the same area of volhenia, (now the ukraine) where both were raised as german homesteaders. Grandpa married grandma exactly 30 days after burying his 1st wife. Dad was the 1st born of 10 more kids exactly 9 months later! Thats 17 kids total!!
Even more interesting is the story was very similar for his father and grandfather. At least 3 generations in a row had their wives die young, got married to a much younger woman and raised two huge familys!
It happened to me too! I am now married to a 17 year younger woman.
My great grandfather came over in 1874, married with about 6 kids, along with other brothers and BILs, his 1st wife and oldest daughter died soon as they got here. He took his family back to volhenia, married a much younger woman, grandpa adolph was their first born, adolphs older half brother died, (or was killed as a solider in the russian army), grandpa married his brothers widow and had 6 kids with her. He and many more brothers came back over in the 1890s.
This is only to give you a example of how complicated and confuseing geniology can get!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

wilko wrote:
In concept yes.. But a very common name in Holland is also "De Boer" (translate as farmer) which does not mean a person with that name is actually a farmer LOL..

just a side note.. my wife gave up on trying to speak dutch as she could not get the pronounciation (sp?) right :D
Oh, yes, I get that. Very similar to other languages in that regard. BUT somebody was a farmer at one time... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Booger Bill wrote:I worked at it pretty hard years ago. With just a little luck you stand a fair chance of finding some other relatives researching the same names then sort of pool your info. The biggest best tool is the morman site. I live in utah and have never been in a morman church.
One great grand father of mine was a fuller. Most of the work on that branch was done for me as he can be traced all the way back to the mayflower.
I know what you mean with the name spelling thing. My grandfather and about 6 brothers came over in the 1890s. Almost all of them spelled my name werch different. Wuerch, wirch, wurch, even wuerg etc.
On top of that it seems they put about 8 first names in a hat and kept drawing them out of the hat for many generations! You know, gottlieb, gustov, friedrick, willhelm, ludwig, franz etc. Not only that, but if a kid didnt make it, grandpa would use the same name again on another one!
My grandfather lost his 1st wife and was left young with 6 kids. Grandma was a very young widow with one, came over from the same area of volhenia, (now the ukraine) where both were raised as german homesteaders. Grandpa married grandma exactly 30 days after burying his 1st wife. Dad was the 1st born of 10 more kids exactly 9 months later! Thats 17 kids total!!
Even more interesting is the story was very similar for his father and grandfather. At least 3 generations in a row had their wives die young, got married to a much younger woman and raised two huge familys!
It happened to me too! I am now married to a 17 year younger woman.
My great grandfather came over in 1874, married with about 6 kids, along with other brothers and BILs, his 1st wife and oldest daughter died soon as they got here. He took his family back to volhenia, married a much younger woman, grandpa adolph was their first born, adolphs older half brother died, (or was killed as a solider in the russian army), grandpa married his brothers widow and had 6 kids with her. He and many more brothers came back over in the 1890s.
This is only to give you a example of how complicated and confuseing geniology can get!
Yep I've run into that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

Over here we'd say "bah-rihnt-suh" but while we spell a lot of stuff the same as the dutch we pronounce everything completely differently.

I had a Barentse as a high school teacher.

We say "Bruh-dah", the dutch say "Breed-aah" (Breda also says "Breed-aah" :-). I say "Voter" the dutch say "Wow-ter" (and we both spell it "Wouter").

Strange world we live in :-)